Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agreed.

There are two different things in play:

- I think that one of the most important things that owners can do - and often don't - is monetize the value of a new closer. Axford's success will only make this play easier to make, actually. In fact, bring up his name in talks regarding these new closers in the off-season or future seasons.

The half-life of such players is not very encouraging, so flipping a guy who looks like he's locked into a role - like Salas around the 12-15 SV mark - for 2011 value for your contending team is crucial.

- Look, it's natural for any of us to enjoy seeing our dart toss in a crowded saves field pan out as a closer for months. Then he seems like a keeper, too, and suddenly it doesn't seem worth it to get an All-Star lame duck closer. Why bother, one might think? My new guy is pitching really well, too, AND he's got keeper value to help me again next year. But what often ends up happening is you miss out on current gains, and there are little or no future gains, either.

Salas has pitched very well, and potential lame duck swaps like Brian Wilson and Huston Street have gotten hurt, but usually moving the unestablished guy for the established one gives you better stats and more guaranteed performance. Is it ALWAYS true? No, but I say 'usually.' Salas has been a best-case scenario, pretty much, yet now if you're a contender you're wondering if he'll get the 5 or 6 SV you need down the stretch. And now that 2012 keeper value is in play, perhaps.

- The different issue in the early season is who was going to get the job. Salas was not a huge star in the Cardinals' organization, La Russa's decision-making is, er, different, and yes, he liked Sanchez better. To ignore that because Salas hits on his first 3-4 SV chances would have been foolish. Obviously, when he gets to 8 or 10 ok and Sanchez's arm falls off, now we know that Salas was the correct play. We didn't always know it.

As for "I told you so," if that was my goal, could I have picked a worse thread to do it in? There are plenty of players this year that I practically begged people to sell high on at midseason. I'm not reviving those threads now that they, too have "crapped the bed."

I commented on THIS one because I think a lot of newer owners are still looking for commentary that reshapes how they think about "going for it." It's very difficult, human nature I guess, to trade what seems like a bargain that you found yourself. But that's the very thing that often wins leagues.

I should know from 2010 - a rival and now three-time winner took me down when he traded Jason Heyward at 10 right when he was at the peak of his value (as it turns out) for H-Ram and a lame-duck Pujols (other pieces involved). It's difficult to explain now, but at that point in time no other owner in our league would have dealt him for ANY package. He really was THAT impressive at that age at that point in time. He was the next Pujols, in many minds and for many reasons. (Again, if that sounds laughable now, that's mostly just current events playing tricks with our actual past perceptions.)

In the 26th-year owner thread, I noted that that that owner told me last month his three best keepers were 'untouchables.' He had a 10-pt lead, and figured he'd win this year (finally), and have a shot again next year. We'll see, but I settled for a deal with the runnerup, who now trails by only a point.

League parameters vary, of course, but I've found that a willingness to sell high on unestablished players - even ones with an upside as high as Heyward's - pays off more often that not (though not nearly "always." It's a percentage play). And nowhere is that issue more important than with closers.

Anyway, that's the point of what I'm trying to say. I hope that clears things up.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
      Something isn't adding up for me though. Saying to be aware of new closers like this now on August 29 is easy to say.
      I have to agree. Lots of revisionist history happening here.
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• do you think salas has any value for the rest of 2011? as in any saves? same with isringhausen. wouldn't mind dropping one since motte is on my WW somehow. so is the florida guy.

Comment

• izzy shouldnt get any saves in sept unless parnell implodes so he's droppable. I would hold Salas at least until the situation clears up.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• drop Izzy, probably hold Salas but monitor him and Cishek, and Motte. That's close.

"you are going to say that it was a bad choice to hold on the Salas cause Motte is going to get some save opportunities and just completely ignore all the saves he's gotten this year?"

I said it was a bad choice to hold on to Salas if you are counting on value NEXT YEAR. I was talking about not expending your rebuilding capital for 2012 value on closers like Salas. If you're rebuilding, who cares how many saves Salas gets this year, if he doesn't have the job next year?

I don't know why you keep misunderstanding my posts.

I even laid out for you the difference between speculating for SV this year, vs a rebuilding mentality. They are two different things.

But thinking I'm doing an 'I told you so' with this of all RJ threads amuses me to no end, I'll admit. A guy I wondered about in the early going because La Russa is not his chosen one, and the alternative I warned about blew out his arm. lol

You misread the original recent post, and when I showed the sentence that showed I was talking about 2012, you could have said, "Oh, I misread that." Instead, you keep plugging along.

good luck with that, I guess.

Addendum: One of the most important aspects of writing is deciding, "Who is your audience?"

Back around 1999-2000, when RJ posters had to fight off dinosaurs, there was no registration so you could post whatever wacky name you wanted, each time.

I did that, but when there were controversies about trades or vetos or rules, for those I picked the silly "Judge Jude" name. Idea was that with that moniker, I was trying to analyze the issue as a veteran commish.

When registration was needed around 2000 (before the epic June 2001 signup), I stuck with that name.

My goals have not changed. I hope to help newer owners and longer-term owners get over the hump and win titles. Hence "Judge Jude's Anatomy of an Auction" or posts of "I will find your address and log on to your computer and cut this player myself if I have to" humor.

My audience on that advice is not particularly veteran owners who have already figured it out. From those guys, I want to learn from THEM. I think it was fuhrdog who noted that my speculation that Bell would be 2012 Cardinals closer was complicated by their contract issues (I reply that it was a good pt, he added that Berkman is another issue, I haven't yet replied re the Rangers trade rumors, but that's the give-and-take).

I know we have many lurkers here who for various reasons just or mostly prefer to read the comments, and that's fine. They are welcome here, and that's where some of the best RJ vibe has come from.

Maybe if you realize the reason why I post in the way that I do, the gripes can go away. I dunno.
            Last edited by Judge Jude; 08-29-2011, 09:48 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Judge's posts present a lot of value in that his strategies seem to leave emotion out of his calculations. I sincerely doubt any bragging was intended. Sometimes posts get misintepereted.
              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Definitely a disconnect here with JJ posting, usually filled with his own league examples, which for myself I like reading and has value. And Bucky reading it somehow as I told you so's. It's surprising that more internet postings are not misconstrued, honestly, as so much of communication depends on factors not captured in mini bites of online chatter.

Online, If 2 people do not see eye to eye and consistently misread each other, simple enough to gloss over each others posts, rather than call each other out with gothchas from quotes.

Comment

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                  Definitely a disconnect here with JJ posting, usually filled with his own league examples, which for myself I like reading and has value. And Bucky reading it somehow as I told you so's. It's surprising that more internet postings are not misconstrued, honestly, as so much of communication depends on factors not captured in mini bites of online chatter.

Online, If 2 people do not see eye to eye and consistently misread each other, simple enough to gloss over each others posts, rather than call each other out with gothchas from quotes.
                  yes and also good to think about the character of the person youre talking to. We've all developed reputations of some sort (good and bad) and if something seems off kilter its good to think about if it seems out of character.

Now me on the other hand.......
                  After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Cards up 2-1 in the 8th, Rhodes to take on Kotteras/no PH JoWilson, who grounds out.

Now Motte, who Ks Hart, allows single to Morgan, but gets Braun on a grounder to end the inning.
                    18 Motte pitches, and presumably Salas in the 9th.

Ripzinski (sic) on in the 9th to face Prince, who walks.

Then Salas - who walks McGehee.
                    Bad bunt by Betancourt gets Prince at 3rd, FC.
                    Kotsay grounds into DP to end it.

Offbeat outing for Salas, but only 10 pitches and he shuts the door.
                    Last edited by Judge Jude; 08-30-2011, 10:39 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Why hasn't Heath Bell pitched in the last 7 days? What am I missing?
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• I can't find any news on him specifically, so I'm guessing the Padres were keeping him out of action to see if they could find a trade partner and not risk injury?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                          I can't find any news on him specifically, so I'm guessing the Padres were keeping him out of action to see if they could find a trade partner and not risk injury?
                          That makes sense. Thanks
                          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• How about no opportunities

Comment

• It's still very uncommon for a relief pitcher to go 7 days without pitching.

Comment

• motte used with a 5-run lead tonight in the 9th; granted it was a very important game against the team ahead of the cardinals. still, not sure what this says if anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X