No announcement yet.

Closer Watch: 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here comes Salas to protect a 3-0 lead... in the 7th.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      Here comes Salas to protect a 3-0 lead... in the 7th.
      Sometimes I wonder if Tony LaRussa does **** just to show people he knows more than them. Moving Salas out of the closer role after he was so successful in it (especially in one-inning stints) smacks of LaRussa "knowing what's best for the team." I traded Salas in most of the leagues I owned him, so I hold no ill will, but jeez, this is a bit dumb even for LaRussa, right?

Comment

• He is who he is. Plus Motte hasn't given up a run in months, literally, while Salas has had some hiccups of late. But yes Salas has pitched well overall, and would still have his gig with a different manager.

McClellan in the 8th at 4-0, Motte will owe Kyle a beer as McClellan allows a run to put the easy SV back in play for Motte in the 9th at 4-1.

whoa, single single to open the 9th off Motte, now come Braun and Fielder...

Braun pops out.
        Fielder single, 4-2 and tying runs aboard with one out.....

McGehee DP, and it's ballgame over, Cardinals win, the Cardinals win.
        Last edited by Judge Jude; 09-06-2011, 10:03 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Izzy walks the bases loaded in the 8th with one out, with Mets up 3-2.
          9-pitch AB, fans Lopez, then Bonifacio.
          30 struggling pitches, but preserves the lead for closer Parnell. We'll see.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

He is who he is. Plus Motte hasn't given up a run in months, literally, while Salas has had some hiccups of late. But yes Salas has pitched well overall, and would still have his gig with a different manager.

McClellan in the 8th at 4-0, Motte will owe Kyle a beer as McClellan allows a run to put the easy SV back in play for Motte in the 9th at 4-1.

whoa, single single to open the 9th off Motte, now come Braun and Fielder...

Braun pops out.
            Fielder single, 4-2 and tying runs aboard with one out.....

McGehee DP, and it's ballgame over, Cardinals win, the Cardinals win.
            LaRussa is clearly a genius for making this happen!

Comment

• Parnell another blown SV, all the best and worst. Very Farnsworth-ian, and not version 2.011

Mets lead 4-2 in bottom 9

Infante caught looking on a slider that was a little high.
              Dobbs down 0-2 as Parnell is alternating 98 and 100 mph fastballs, good pitch but Dobbs (2 doubles tonight) goes the other way for a single.
              Sanchez pops up, and it's almost over.
              Obligatory wild pitch; slider almost hits plate, Dobbs to 2nd.
              2-1 on Morrison, 100 mph blows past his swing. 3-2, then a better pitch than the one to Infante is called ball 4.
              Cameron up. Bad because he kills fastballs, but he's 38 so.... he bangs one to the base of the wall to tie it.
              IBB, then Donnie Murphy whiffs almost instantly.

extra frames in a meaningless game in front of fewer than 1,000 people.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• from the ridiculous to the sublime - Giants. Even if Wilson misses the rest of the season (he might), the Giants have an endless stream of committee closers.

Tonight, up 5-3 in the 8th, Romo in for the scoreless IP, only a BB.

6-3 now in the 9th, and it's ...... JLopez, who walks O-Dog.
                Hello, Casilla.

K, lineout..... Rizzo RBI double.

3-0 to Cameron Maybin with 2 out, now 3-2....Maybin HBP, tying runs aboard.

Bartlett.... HBP. Wait, this also is ridiculous.

Here comes RRamirez... and JGuzman, ahead 2-1, later whiffs to end it. Ramirez SV.
                Last edited by Judge Jude; 09-07-2011, 12:11 AM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Salas threw in the 7th last night. Motte with the save.
                  After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• huh, there's an echo in here.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

huh, there's an echo in here.

I will take the good with the bad as I own Parnell and Ramirez. I am up a few saves either way with the two best in the NL Kimbrell and Axford.

Comment

• Outside of the elite, closers are whoever the manager uses at that time. I'm still curious whether the Rays will pick up Farnsworth's option since the team has had a different pitcher lead the team in saves each of the past 7 seasons.

Farnsworth has a cheap option but he's also a Type A FA and coming off his current season, he could be a target.

Comment

• If the Rays hope to contend, I'd bet they keep Farns and then trade him in the summer if they're out of it. You can never have too many good bullpen arms.
                          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Acosta with the Mets SV today.
                            Parnell and Izzy were unavailable, and two things are clear re Parnell and MGR Collins - Parnell is the guy, unless he keeps ignoring/forgetting the plan.

I suspect a first-pitch-down-Broadway fastball to FB-killer Mike Cameron that cost the Mets the lead last night played into Collins' comment.

My guess is that Parnell is just dumb. Has all the stuff, but it's like they'd need to go to the mound before every batter to remind him of what to do.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Acosta with the Mets SV today.
                              Parnell and Izzy were unavailable, and two things are clear re Parnell and MGR Collins - Parnell is the guy, unless he keeps ignoring/forgetting the plan.

I suspect a first-pitch-down-Broadway fastball to FB-killer Mike Cameron that cost the Mets the lead last night played into Collins' comment.

My guess is that Parnell is just dumb. Has all the stuff, but it's like they'd need to go to the mound before every batter to remind him of what to do.
                              Isn't this where the catcher comes in and the manager tells the pitcher he's not allowed to shake him off?
                              Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

• Well, these are the Mets after all.

Mets were down 6-5 in the top of the 9th in the first game.
                                Byrdak got McCann to lead off, then Parnell in. Uggla single, whiffs Freeman, wild pitch (NOT a good sign for Parnell right now), Prado ground out.

I'd expect Acosta to try for a Game 2 SV tonight. I still suspect Parnell gets more chances, but he's a little shaky right now.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                                X