No announcement yet.

2k13 NY Mets: Shea it Ain't So

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, I'm fine with Collins. I don't know any manager that would have taken the team that was put on the field and been a legitimate contender. He's doing the best he can with the hand he's dealt.

Of course, extending Collins means Backman will probably skedaddle and try to seek other options. In that event, I'm not sure how I feel about extending Collins.

Comment

• I did say, "I'm not sure how Mets fans are going to take this one", didn't I? I didn't have a clear idea of how the fans felt about Collins, whom I regard as kind of meh as a manager. If you guys think he's OK, fine. I think he did OK with what he had, not good, not bad. At least he wasn't made the scapegoat for the team's performance, as happened to Dale Sveum today.
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
        I did say, "I'm not sure how Mets fans are going to take this one", didn't I? I didn't have a clear idea of how the fans felt about Collins, whom I regard as kind of meh as a manager. If you guys think he's OK, fine. I think he did OK with what he had, not good, not bad. At least he wasn't made the scapegoat for the team's performance, as happened to Dale Sveum today.
        Yeah, I guess the problem I have is given what he was working with, I'm not sure how to evaluate his tenure so far as manager for the Mets. I think he's been OK, so I'm fine sticking with him and hopefully improving the product on the field.

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
          Yeah, I guess the problem I have is given what he was working with, I'm not sure how to evaluate his tenure so far as manager for the Mets. I think he's been OK, so I'm fine sticking with him and hopefully improving the product on the field.
          I'll agree that there are bigger needs for this team, on and off the field. Given that this is an outsider's view, but while I saw improvement in many areas over the season, I didn't see that much in the way of resolution (as in "This won't be a problem for several years") other than 2B and perhaps CF and closer. The rotation could have been locked down but for that perpetual Mets problem, major injuries. All the corners other than 3B are the big issue IMO.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

• Indifference is about all I can say for Collins. Not sure wear Revo gets his "great" grade from, but most Mets fans are very MEH when it comes to Collins. He's just sort of there like grandpa sitting on the couch. You don't expect much, so there's nothing to lose. Pretty much a continuing place holder until they need an actual manager who can handle a pitching staff and bench.

Comment

• I'm not sure what message the front office is sending with the Collins extension. Is it "We have confidence in Terry", "We have bigger issues to address", "We don't feel the need to find a scapegoat", or "We're content with finishing third and don't care about contending"?

-- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                I'm not sure what message the front office is sending with the Collins extension. Is it "We have confidence in Terry", "We have bigger issues to address", "We don't feel the need to find a scapegoat", or "We're content with finishing third and don't care about contending"?
                The message is that Collins is affordable and a company man, so catch the excitement and buy season tickets. Sandy and his crew like a manager they can control. There is zero chance Backman or a manager like him will ever be hired under the Alderson regime.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
                  The message is that Collins is affordable and a company man, so catch the excitement and buy season tickets. Sandy and his crew like a manager they can control. There is zero chance Backman or a manager like him will ever be hired under the Alderson regime.
                  I wonder if that is such a bad thing when you're rebuilding. Generate phony excitement with a flashy manager, or try to build a team's confidence with someone less excitable who can give the players time to grow?

I don't think you're going to win titles with a manager like Collins, but you may make it easier for the next guy and you may get there sooner by not destroying the confidence of the few top-notch youngsters you have or will have soon.

Again, I'm neutral on the guy.

-- William James

Comment

Indifference is about all I can say for Collins. Not sure wear Revo gets his "great" grade from, but most Mets fans are very MEH when it comes to Collins. He's just sort of there like grandpa sitting on the couch. You don't expect much, so there's nothing to lose. Pretty much a continuing place holder until they need an actual manager who can handle a pitching staff and bench.
                    'Great' may have been too strong a word, but I think most Met fans like Collins.

Comment

• Ultimately I want to see the Mets sign that Cuban 1B (Jose Abreu?) and Shin Soo Choo. That would give a power bat at 1B, and a high-obp guy who can play LF (leaving Lagares for his gold glove defense in CF). That would go a long way. Not too many big SS available via free agency, so spend the money elsewhere. Abreu wouldn't cost anything besides money; Choo would, but the Mets were bad enough in 2013 that their #10 pick is protected anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                        Ultimately I want to see the Mets sign that Cuban 1B (Jose Abreu?) and Shin Soo Choo. That would give a power bat at 1B, and a high-obp guy who can play LF (leaving Lagares for his gold glove defense in CF). That would go a long way. Not too many big SS available via free agency, so spend the money elsewhere. Abreu wouldn't cost anything besides money; Choo would, but the Mets were bad enough in 2013 that their #10 pick is protected anyway.
                        Choo would be a great signing, so long as you play him in right and not center. The guy has good power and speed, plus he was an on-base machine this year. Abreu is an absolute wild card, like all Cubans. I'm not sure the Mets will pay the going rate for either, let alone both.

-- William James

Comment

• The Mets will be shopping at the clearance aisle once again. They are already trying to refinance their loan debt that has been refinanced 2 or 3 times already just to make operating costs. Don't be fooled they are BROKE and in major debt.

Comment

The Mets will be shopping at the clearance aisle once again. They are already trying to refinance their loan debt that has been refinanced 2 or 3 times already just to make operating costs. Don't be fooled they are BROKE and in major debt.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...jpmorgan-chase
                            One possible good result from Bud Selig's retirement is the possibility that the new Commissioner will not be a pal of the Wilpons and will force these nickel-and-dimers to sell the team.

I know the Mets will be the #2 team in New York; always have been, always will be. However, they should at least be competitive. Why Selig refuses to acknowledge this and force the Wilpons out is a mystery.

-- William James

Comment

• "I know the Mets will be the #2 team in New York; always have been, always will be."

The Mets had a significant edge in fandom in the NYC area from around 1984-90, especially 1985-88 when they averaged 100 wins a year. The bandwagon was gasping and wheezing by the late part of that run. Mets caps were everywhere. The Mets not only were averaging 3 millions fans at Shea per season, the Yankees were averaging about 750K less than that, even with pretty good teams (but not great) teams themselves. The swagger of the 1986 Mets in particular won over a ton of the fickler Yankees fans.

The high ticket prices and lack of homegrown new talent has alienated a lot of current Yankees fans already. TV ratings plummeted 31 pct from 20102 even with the Mariano Farewell Tour (TM) and a good team for most of the year. No one ever called New York the most loyal sports market.

If they nosedive and the Mets young pitching is for real - ok, the Mets would be one ownership sale away from having a shot at reclaiming the top spot in about 5 years.

But as long as the Wilpons there, at least you'll have the "always will be" part right.
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Mike Baxter claimed off waivers by the Dodgers
                                Robert Carson claimed off waivers by the Angels

Comment

Working...
                                X