2k13 NY Mets: Shea it Ain't So

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Thereby ensuring that Hornsby cannot lose his ill-fated "Ike Davis versus Paul Goldschmidt" bet that we had going before the year, since Ike will not reach the requisite 500 PAs. Not being able to stick Hornsby with a horrendous avatar for two weeks: just another reason that Ike Davis sucks.
    Did the PA requirement specify major league PAs only?
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

• sadly even with that he's about 40 short.

for what little it was worth, Davis was slashing .286/.449/.505 after the all-star break.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
        Is this such a loss?
        Since his return from the minors, he was batting .267 with a .430 OBP and .872 OPS, with more BBs than Ks.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          Since his return from the minors, he was batting .267 with a .430 OBP and .872 OPS, with more BBs than Ks.
          Fair enough. As a non-owner and a non-fan of the team, I wasn't tracking him that closely. One thing this does is give the Mets a chance to look at the in-house alternatives more, not that I'm that taken with the likes of Duda, Satin, and/or Lutz.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

• Or Flores.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
              Thereby ensuring that Hornsby cannot lose his ill-fated "Ike Davis versus Paul Goldschmidt" bet that we had going before the year, since Ike will not reach the requisite 500 PAs. Not being able to stick Hornsby with a horrendous avatar for two weeks: just another reason that Ike Davis sucks.
              Hey, I'll take the avatar anyway...I was so horrendously wrong, I deserve it regardless.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Maybe you can give Hornsby a mildly horrendous avatar instead of a severely horrendous one?
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• From Rotoworld--

"Bobby Parnell (neck) remains shut down from baseball activities.
                  Parnell has said that he'll make a decision on possible surgery in mid-September, so it's possible we'll have a resolution with his status this week. The closer has been sidelined since late July with a herniated disc in his neck.
                  Source: Jorge Castillo on Twitter"

-- William James

Comment

• Shea it ain't so!

"The Mets are leaving WFAN and the Yankees reportedly are nearing an agreement that would move the team’s radio broadcasts from WCBS to WFAN, beginning in 2014. If a deal is reached, it would bump the Mets to another station after their games were carried by WFAN since the station’s creation in 1987. Mets COO Jeff Wilpon called the report “fairly accurate.”
                    The Mets are leaving WFAN and the Yankees reportedly are nearing an agreement that would move the team’s radio broadcasts from WCBS to WFAN, beginning in 2014. If a deal is reached, it would …

Comment

Shea it ain't so!

"The Mets are leaving WFAN and the Yankees reportedly are nearing an agreement that would move the team’s radio broadcasts from WCBS to WFAN, beginning in 2014. If a deal is reached, it would bump the Mets to another station after their games were carried by WFAN since the station’s creation in 1987. Mets COO Jeff Wilpon called the report “fairly accurate.”
                      http://nypost.com/2013/09/10/mets-ou...ees-moving-in/
                      Enlighten us. Any idea WHY the Yankees want to move? Is WFAN a better spot than WCBS? Is this just a money move, or possibly a negotiating tactic by the Yankees?

And if the Yankees move, where are the Mets likely to land?

One thing I liked in the Post article is that the abominable Suzyn Waldman is said to not be guaranteed a spot on the Yankee broadcasts. Not that I'm a big fan of John Sterling, but that crone's voice, ye gods. Seriously, Sterling is bad enough, but Waldman goes beyond "we like her because she's OURS" or "she's part of our tradition".

-- William James

Comment

Enlighten us. Any idea WHY the Yankees want to move? Is WFAN a better spot than WCBS? Is this just a money move, or possibly a negotiating tactic by the Yankees?

And if the Yankees move, where are the Mets likely to land?

One thing I liked in the Post article is that the abominable Suzyn Waldman is said to not be guaranteed a spot on the Yankee broadcasts. Not that I'm a big fan of John Sterling, but that crone's voice, ye gods. Seriously, Sterling is bad enough, but Waldman goes beyond "we like her because she's OURS" or "she's part of our tradition".
                        WFAN is on both AM & FM, so the audience and reach is far superior than on WCBS. In addition, the on-air hosts would promote the team throughout the day, unlike on WCBS.

Comment

WFAN is on both AM & FM, so the audience and reach is far superior than on WCBS. In addition, the on-air hosts would promote the team throughout the day, unlike on WCBS.
                          I see. Thank you for being more enlightening than the Post, which is either poorly written, assumes the readership knows these things, or both.

My old college journalism professor, long deceased, used to say, "You don't have to tell the reader 'why' something happened or may happen, only 'who', 'what', 'when', 'where', and 'how'. However, the reader may appreciate it if you do tell him or her that." I'll grant that he was from a far different era of journalism, one that included weird things like "accuracy" and "objectivity", but I think his statement still holds.

-- William James

Comment

• How humiliating for the Mets. What crud.

Comment

I see. Thank you for being more enlightening than the Post, which is either poorly written, assumes the readership knows these things, or both.

My old college journalism professor, long deceased, used to say, "You don't have to tell the reader 'why' something happened or may happen, only 'who', 'what', 'when', 'where', and 'how'. However, the reader may appreciate it if you do tell him or her that." I'll grant that he was from a far different era of journalism, one that included weird things like "accuracy" and "objectivity", but I think his statement still holds.
                              ANd here's some more:
                              "The Yankees have been carried since 2002 by WCBS Radio, which, like WFAN, is owned by CBS.

Their current one-year contract is believed to pay $13 million to $14 million. The new contract likely will boost that figure to well over $15 million per season.

The Mets are believed to earn about half what the Yankees do in rights fees but have been a money-loser for WFAN, which inherited the team when it took over WHN's 1050-AM signal in 1987. The Mets then moved down the dial with WFAN to 660-AM in 1988."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                                How humiliating for the Mets. What crud.
                                I'm not sure which is more humiliating--for the Mets, that they are worth only half the rights fees of their cross-town neighbor, or for Mets fans, that their team's ownership doesn't seem to be inclined to be at all competitive.

-- William James

Comment

Working...
                                X