2k13 NY Mets: Shea it Ain't So

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
    I'm not sure which is more humiliating--for the Mets, that they are worth only half the rights fees of their cross-town neighbor, or for Mets fans, that their team's ownership doesn't seem to be inclined to be at all competitive.
    They are inclined to be competitive -- as long as that 1) doesn't entail spending money; 2) doesn't entail spending money intelligently; and 3) allows the Wilpons to meddle in the baseball affairs of the team.

Comment

• The Mets made their debut on WFAN in 1987, so they haven't won a World Series since being on WFAN. The curse of WFAN is over!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is waaaaaaaaaaay too long for a horse shit season from a horse shit team. I'm rooting for a draft pick.

Who listens to traditional broadcast radio anymore anyways? Other than taking a dump or a shower i never have on a radio. In a car i'm either streaming from my phone or listening to satellite.
      Last edited by ; 09-15-2013, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
        The Mets made their debut on WFAN in 1987, so they haven't won a World Series since being on WFAN. The curse of WFAN is over!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is waaaaaaaaaaay too long for a horse shit season from a horse shit team. I'm rooting for a draft pick.

Who listens to traditional broadcast radio anymore anyways? Other than taking a dump or a shower i never have on a radio. In a car i'm either streaming from my phone or listening to satellite.
        Ballgames and news, that's about it for me. Sirius XM has lots of horsepucky stations--and lots of good ones, too.
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

• Shea it ain't so!

Mike Puma of the New York Post was told by "multiple industry sources" that the Mets may target veteran right-hander Bronson Arroyo this winter.
          As of now, Zack Wheeler, Jon Niese and Dillon Gee are the only givens in the Mets' rotation, so the club could look for a veteran innings-eater like Arroyo. The 36-year-old has a 3.60 ERA in 31 starts this season and has logged at least 197 1/3 innings in each of the last nine seasons. For what it's worth, Arroyo told Puma that the Mets are "definitely" a team he would consider.
          Source: New York Post Sep 25 - 8:53 AM

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            Shea it ain't so!

Mike Puma of the New York Post was told by "multiple industry sources" that the Mets may target veteran right-hander Bronson Arroyo this winter.
            As of now, Zack Wheeler, Jon Niese and Dillon Gee are the only givens in the Mets' rotation, so the club could look for a veteran innings-eater like Arroyo. The 36-year-old has a 3.60 ERA in 31 starts this season and has logged at least 197 1/3 innings in each of the last nine seasons. For what it's worth, Arroyo told Puma that the Mets are "definitely" a team he would consider.
            Source: New York Post Sep 25 - 8:53 AM
            why is that a bad thing? While Arroyo isnt a sexy pick because he isnt a fantasy guy, he is a solid pitcher who has immaculate preparation habits that would benefit being imparted on to a young staff.
            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• 3 years, $36 million - what could go wrong!
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                why is that a bad thing? While Arroyo isnt a sexy pick because he isnt a fantasy guy, he is a solid pitcher who has immaculate preparation habits that would benefit being imparted on to a young staff.
                One would hope that when the Mets finally crack open the checkbook, it's not for a 37-year old with limited upside and who can go over the falls in a hurry. I mean, would it surprise anyone if they sign him and he puts up an ERA north of 5.00 in his first season?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  One would hope that when the Mets finally crack open the checkbook, it's not for a 37-year old with limited upside and who can go over the falls in a hurry. I mean, would it surprise anyone if they sign him and he puts up an ERA north of 5.00 in his first season?
                  I am not suggesting this should be their only move but Arroyo would be a solid piece. Besides, hitting is a far bigger issue than pitching so I wouldnt want to see them go buy an ace.
                  After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I am not suggesting this should be their only move but Arroyo would be a solid piece. Besides, hitting is a far bigger issue than pitching so I wouldnt want to see them go buy an ace.
                    I'm not so sure he's that "solid" anymore. At his age, he could, to use revo's eloquent phrase, "go over the falls" quickly. While we know the Mets are unlikely to contend next year, signing an innings-eater like Arroyo for more than a year would send a bad PR message to the few, the proud, the loyal Mets fans, especially if they don't sign a significant hitter.

Don't get me wrong on Arroyo. He is a step or two above the usual "innings eater", certainly better than your Blanton-Saunders type. But if you really want to excite the fans, you don't sign this kind of pitcher to a multi-year deal.

Arroyo would be a better fit on a contending team with a good #1 through 3 and an iffy #4. Not that the Yankees fit the bill for that, but I'd like to see him sign there, if only to be reunited with his '04 playoff pal A-Roid.

But if the Mets do go for him, I beg them to PLEASE do it AFTER signing a good bat. Signing him first would make the faithful suspicious that they don't intend to sign anyone else, and we're talking about faithful fans who've been through a lot and who have every reason to be suspicious.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

• I wouldnt sign him to a multi year deal. one year with a club option.

If he is holding his own in GABP he will be better in Citi.

again, as the only signing, I would have a problem. As one of a few signings and a reasonable price, it would be a good get for the Mets.

Comment

I wouldnt sign him to a multi year deal. one year with a club option.

If he is holding his own in GABP he will be better in Citi.

again, as the only signing, I would have a problem. As one of a few signings and a reasonable price, it would be a good get for the Mets.
                        Agreed. One year with a club option could work. However, if he's signed, they'd be better off not making him the first signing, since Mets fans would immediately suspect it to be the ONLY signing.

As we Pirates fans know from experience, there is such a thing as "justifiable paranoia".

-- William James

Comment

• I'm not sure how Mets fans are going to take this one. From Rotoworld--

"According to reports, the Mets and manager Terry Collins are close to a contract extension.
                          Both sides have expressed interest in getting a deal done, and it seems like an agreement will be announced within the next few days.
                          Source: Andy Martino on Twitter"

-- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                            I'm not sure how Mets fans are going to take this one. From Rotoworld--

"According to reports, the Mets and manager Terry Collins are close to a contract extension.
                            Both sides have expressed interest in getting a deal done, and it seems like an agreement will be announced within the next few days.
                            Source: Andy Martino on Twitter"
                            Why? Collins has been great as the Mets skipper.

Comment

• Most Mets fans I know are fine with Collins, and if someone suggested replacing him, it would be, "Well, who you got in mind?"

They'd take a manager rock star, sure, but otherwise they're ok with this guy.
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Arroyo would be fine as an addition. Happily the Mets now have a protected first round pick at pick 10. So hopefully they can go sign a bat like Choo without a hit to the farm system. I doubt they will, but they SHOULD. No more BS about the Bay, Santana contracts etc. total disgrace.

Comment

Working...
                                X