Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
    tell him to ask to play first base ...

and don't overextend. don't try to stretch any hits, slide, etc. just take it easy.
    This is a great answer as well....have fun but don't try to play like you're 25 yrs old.

I tried that last year and it ended badly.

Comment

No, no, no. Do not play first base. A good left-handed hitter could smoke a ball at you with today's technology and you wouldn't have the reaction time to save yourself. My suggestion, play second base or right-center field if you still have some decent legs. Otherwise, work on some squats and play catcher.
      "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

or DH!
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

UPDATE from Sat afternoon's game

took a half-dozen pre-game swings and shocked myself (and, well, everyone I suppose) by not missing a single pitch. hit the last one real hard, and quit that part while I was ahead.

then the game begins.

while throwing (like a girl, after always having a good arm as a younger man, huh) and fielding (questionable if I'd catch a decently-hit ball) were dismal, I felt comfy at the plate.

Too comfy.

I've been hedging on this game for months knowing that I haven't played an inning in 20 years (recalled during game it was 22; and I broke two metacarpals in my left hand late in that game when the oafish LF landed on me like a ton of bricks following a collision that was my fault).

I now know my fears were justified, lol, and only once did I forget I was not 25 anymore.

That would be in my first AB, when I hit what (seemed to me like) a rocket to the right side (I'm a lefty). I pounced out of the box with a first step that mirrored what hitting that ball felt like - young again.

But the second step was - trouble, and I was fortunate to get a third and possibly a partial fourth step before falling forward. I gutted out the rest of the day (well, mostly I caught in a game that doesn't really need a catcher and sprayed groundouts all over the infield. And I was promised beer at the end).

My observation: everybody should occasionally do something they are absolutely terrible at. It humbles you, but you feel good about getting out of your comfort zone. And best of all, you provide massive comic relief for everyone else involved.

Also, no one warns you about possible chafing issues!

So I made it, bloodied but unbowed - ok, actually bloody and bowed, for now.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Great story, JJ!

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Game #7

Good news......

Got to play in the outfield again...centerfield for the entire game.

No significant injuries.

Bad news.....

UGH!!!! This game is so frustrating!!!!

Another 0-3....the sad part is that I'm hitting the ball hard BUT right at people!

I had 3 line shots to short, center and right. If any of the balls are hit a foot higher or 10 feet right or left, then I'm 3 for 3!

I don't remember all of the fanalytics calculations, but I'm pretty sure I have an excellent LD% and BABIP or xBA or whatever!

I'm officially at or below the Mendoza line and officially DEAD-LAST in BA on the team!

So, after 7 weeks of play.....YTD stats: Batting Avg: .200 (4-20) Runs scored: 1

Game #8 next Monday.

Comment

I'm reading this with interest.

I've never played baseball/softball before and got coaxed into playing winter slow pitch (it's winter down under)

Played a lot of cricket as a junior and adult - so my hand/eye co-ord is decent.

Actually having fun - hardest thing out fielding ive had to deal with is catching the ball 1-handed (both hands in cricket).

Batting reasonably well. would be at about .450 ish (a lot of those are errors by the other team though!) but I have a horrid habit of hitting pop-ups. I just can't seem to stop hitting them up. Bloody annoying really!!

I am amazed at all the little unwritten rules and inside knowledge that comes from the game that I'm sure you guys probably take for granted. I'm sure it would be the same for me with cricket. Silly stuff like - watching the first or 2nd pitch to allow the guy on first to steal. And the dead ball line - that's a crazy thing to learn

But enjoying it.

Gris - keep the updates going and stay healthy!!!

Comment

Great story Ghuda!

The key with NOT hitting pop-ups is keeping your right elbow up (basically straight back from your shoulder), that helps you from dipping when you swing (which causes your pop-ups).

Batting .450 isn't too bad for someone pops-up as much as you say (pssst....even technically it doesn't count as a hit if someone makes an error)....lol

Thanks for following....best of luck down under this winter!

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                    Great story Ghuda!

The key with NOT hitting pop-ups is keeping your right elbow up (basically straight back from your shoulder), that helps you from dipping when you swing (which causes your pop-ups).

Batting .450 isn't too bad for someone pops-up as much as you say (pssst....even technically it doesn't count as a hit if someone makes an error)....lol

Thanks for following....best of luck down under this winter!
                    Well then I am probably not batting at .450 then

See - I can't even work out how bad/good I'm going!!! Give me cricket where runs are scored and that's all that matters. I don't get this RBI stuff or hitting a deep fly ball (and get caught out) but then still get people home?!?!?!?!

I guess I'll get used to it

Saying that - I can see how people can become passionate about it - it has all the required elements.

So what does count as a hit? Anything with out an error by the opposition? What counts as an error? If a fly ball falls within a meter of my outstretched glove (after I ran around in circles trying to get under it) is that an error? If I drop the catch but still beat the runner to first is that still an error?

Thanks for your well wishes - I'll let you know how we go.

And best of luck to you - I could never play baseball - I don't think my eye is anywhere near that good!

Comment

LOL....I love your passion for understanding...

An error? Hmmm, actually, you have identified some interesting plays regarding what might or might not be an error.

Maybe that is a good question for The Sports Bar.

They are much more educated on the official rules of the game.

I'll post something.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghuda View Post
                        Well then I am probably not batting at .450 then

See - I can't even work out how bad/good I'm going!!! Give me cricket where runs are scored and that's all that matters. I don't get this RBI stuff or hitting a deep fly ball (and get caught out) but then still get people home?!?!?!?!

I guess I'll get used to it

Saying that - I can see how people can become passionate about it - it has all the required elements.

So what does count as a hit? Anything with out an error by the opposition? What counts as an error? If a fly ball falls within a meter of my outstretched glove (after I ran around in circles trying to get under it) is that an error? If I drop the catch but still beat the runner to first is that still an error?

Thanks for your well wishes - I'll let you know how we go.

And best of luck to you - I could never play baseball - I don't think my eye is anywhere near that good!
                        Except for that insane scoring system that cricket has that takes a PhD to understand!!
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                          Except for that insane scoring system that cricket has that takes a PhD to understand!!
                          or this
                          http://deadspin.com/cricketer-makes-...tch-1578925148

but the hat is cool

Comment

Cricket scoring is way easier than you'd think. I started playing last summer and it's intimidating but not really all that complicated. A home run is 6, a ground rule double is 4, a bad or illegal pitch is 1, and when you hit the ball and it isn't caught you can run as many bases as you feel like you can get away with, and each base you reach is 1.
                            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                              Cricket scoring is way easier than you'd think. I started playing last summer and it's intimidating but not really all that complicated. A home run is 6, a ground rule double is 4, a bad or illegal pitch is 1, and when you hit the ball and it isn't caught you can run as many bases as you feel like you can get away with, and each base you reach is 1.
                              Thanks! What's an over?
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Thanks! What's an over?
                                Note that in general the structural stuff is less clear sometimes because different cricket leagues can have different rules about how long a game is, kind of like how some baseball leagues will end games after seven innings or not play extras or whatever. Also I'm going to use baseball terminology in order to avoid having to explain everything and also that's how I made it make sense to me :P

An over is six good pitches. After an over, the pitching team has to change pitchers for the next over; the same guy can't pitch two overs in a row. In some leagues, the batting team goes until all but one person makes an out regardless of how many overs that takes, but in some variants that are designed to be faster, one-day matches, they only play a certain number of overs.

Also here is a weird and not at all obvious rule: you may have noticed that there are two batters on the field and they both run the bases. It's always the batter who's opposite the pitcher who gets to hit, so if you hit the ball and then get one run (by running to the opposite base and stopping), the other batter is going to be up to bat until you trade positions again. So if you're playing a game where you only get a certain number of overs, and you're a way better hitter than the other batter, you might choose not to run and take a zero rather than taking one run because that would mean the other guy is taking valuable at-bats away from you.
                                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                                X