Griswold plays baseball - Part Deux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mjl View Post
    Note that in general the structural stuff is less clear sometimes because different cricket leagues can have different rules about how long a game is, kind of like how some baseball leagues will end games after seven innings or not play extras or whatever. Also I'm going to use baseball terminology in order to avoid having to explain everything and also that's how I made it make sense to me :P

An over is six good pitches. After an over, the pitching team has to change pitchers for the next over; the same guy can't pitch two overs in a row. In some leagues, the batting team goes until all but one person makes an out regardless of how many overs that takes, but in some variants that are designed to be faster, one-day matches, they only play a certain number of overs.

Also here is a weird and not at all obvious rule: you may have noticed that there are two batters on the field and they both run the bases. It's always the batter who's opposite the pitcher who gets to hit, so if you hit the ball and then get one run (by running to the opposite base and stopping), the other batter is going to be up to bat until you trade positions again. So if you're playing a game where you only get a certain number of overs, and you're a way better hitter than the other batter, you might choose not to run and take a zero rather than taking one run because that would mean the other guy is taking valuable at-bats away from you.
    I love this!!! Cricket explained in baseball/softball terms

Lets no get into no-balls or wides!! But in its true form, everything stated in the above posts is spot on!!

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
      Think of the boundry line/rope as the dead ball line. You can't carry the ball across that line without the batters scoring runs(bases).

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
        LOL....I love your passion for understanding...

An error? Hmmm, actually, you have identified some interesting plays regarding what might or might not be an error.

Maybe that is a good question for The Sports Bar.

They are much more educated on the official rules of the game.

I'll post something.
        I figure that with some understanding - I may actually get better

Also, we umpire our games in the same league. No paid umpires (I play lowest league )

So a little understanding could go a long way in helping me make the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghuda View Post
          I love this!!! Cricket explained in baseball/softball terms

Lets no get into no-balls or wides!! But in its true form, everything stated in the above posts is spot on!!
          I absolutely do not understand the rules about bowling. All I know is that I am terrible at bowling and I depend on other people to tell me if something was illegal for some reason.
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Well then I am probably not batting at .450 then

See - I can't even work out how bad/good I'm going!!! Give me cricket where runs are scored and that's all that matters. I don't get this RBI stuff or hitting a deep fly ball (and get caught out) but then still get people home?!?!?!?!

I guess I'll get used to it

Saying that - I can see how people can become passionate about it - it has all the required elements.

So what does count as a hit? Anything with out an error by the opposition? What counts as an error? If a fly ball falls within a meter of my outstretched glove (after I ran around in circles trying to get under it) is that an error? If I drop the catch but still beat the runner to first is that still an error?

Thanks for your well wishes - I'll let you know how we go.

And best of luck to you - I could never play baseball - I don't think my eye is anywhere near that good!
            Anytime you get on base will either be a hit or an error, so if it wasn't an error it's a hit

In the majors, they generally won't call errors on balls that weren't touched, even if clearly you should have been able to but you lost it in the sun or whatever. Similarly, if you should have been able to get to a fly ball but you took a bad route or you misjudged it and ran the wrong direction, you won't get an error. And they won't usually call errors if you made an exceptional effort to get to the ball but couldn't catch it. They will call an error if you make a throw that pulls the guy catching it out of position to make the tag or the force play or whatever or if you throw it past them. And if you get the guy out after dropping the ball, they won't call an error on it; there may actually be a rule that says there can't be an error on an out, but if there isn't, it's an unspoken rule.
            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
              Cricket scoring is way easier than you'd think. I started playing last summer and it's intimidating but not really all that complicated. A home run is 6, a ground rule double is 4, a bad or illegal pitch is 1, and when you hit the ball and it isn't caught you can run as many bases as you feel like you can get away with, and each base you reach is 1.
              so now are you playing both old-timey baseball and cricket? I think you are way too cool for me to hang out with.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I will play almost any unpopular sport, because I'm not actually all that in shape or coordinated and if I play basketball or something like that it's obvious that I'm kind of terrible, but few enough people do my things that just by knowing how to play I'm better than 90% of the population around here. This is the same reason that I fenced in high school and was on the varsity fencing team in college (well, also because swords) - even at a Division I school, there were few enough fencers that just because I was on the team in high school I got to be on the varsity, although never good enough to represent the school against anything other than club teams.

Also there was a cricket league at work and I volunteered to try it. Our team is the only one with white Americans on it so we're not doing so good. Also also I just like running around; I am terrible at forcing myself to exercise but team sports are good. I'm the goalie on our work soccer team because it seemed like a better use of me than a position where I'd have to run around, although to be fair to me I'm also decent at it.

Comment

I'm awaiting an update from gris . .. .. .. hope all is well :S

Comment

I'm awaiting an update from gris . .. .. .. hope all is well :S
                    An update?

Sorry, we have had some rain outs.

I'm supposed to play tonight but I have a Board meeting for the non-profit group that I help with, so I can't make it.

There's a game next week but I have my HOF meeting, so that one is out.

So, my next game isn't until Aug 5th.

Sorry...how's softball going for you, Ghuda?

Comment

Well I made the Board meeting and left early and played because I was told we were short on players.

And I'm glad I did....

I got to play Left Field (my favorite position) for the entire 11 innings. Made 5 put-outs and no errors.

Actually got a HIT!!!! And crushed a ball to left for a deep out. And had a sacrifice bunt......1-2!!!! Woot!

But the bad news...we lost in the bottom of the 11th....2-1.

Hey, just my update.

Gris

Comment

uh, 3 weeks later - is this half-blue big toenail ever going back to normal color?

asking for a friend
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                          uh, 3 weeks later - is this half-blue big toenail ever going back to normal color?

asking for a friend
                          Did I miss something?

How did your "friend" get a half-blue big toenail?

Playing softball?

Comment

for 3 hours and about 3-4 pages ago on this thread
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                              for 3 hours and about 3-4 pages ago on this thread
                              Ah...gotchya!

Ouch!

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                                Well I made the Board meeting and left early and played because I was told we were short on players.

And I'm glad I did....

I got to play Left Field (my favorite position) for the entire 11 innings. Made 5 put-outs and no errors.

Actually got a HIT!!!! And crushed a ball to left for a deep out. And had a sacrifice bunt......1-2!!!! Woot!

But the bad news...we lost in the bottom of the 11th....2-1.

Hey, just my update.

Gris
                                11 innings and 3 plate appearances? How many players are on the field at a time, 20?
                                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X