*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Song In The Key Of Life on the other hand was right near the top of my list. Great pick in the 6th.
    Thanks, and I finally broke out of my 1970-71 bubble!
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• I keep wanting to pull the trigger on the 70's funk, soul R&B artists, but I just can't do it. Although I'd never take an album by that monster, Michael Jackson, it's hard to deny what a great album it is. I'm trying to stay faithful to my plan and only stick to albums that I truly love and play regularly to this day - and, obviously, those happen to be the punk, pre new wave stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
        I pondered Songs in the Key of Life when I took Off the Wall. The tiebreaker was that it was a favorite album of my first wife, and obviously she is no longer a favorite of mine.
        After Transformer and Bridge Over Troubled Water were taken, I was afraid all five from my top tier would be gone, but the remaining three were still available. I had a tough time deciding which two, and I'll be shocked if #5 is there at my next pick.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Songs in the key of life was a great pick, superb value in round 8!
          Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grinch View Post
            Songs in the key of life was a great pick, superb value in round 8!
            So what sort of value does that translate to in round 6?
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
              Hey, Bucky's worse than I am.

Buckybuckner
              Jailbreak - Thin Lizzy (1976)
              The Clash - The Clash (1977)
              In Color - Cheap Trick (1977)
              Duty Now for the Future - Devo (1979)
              Armed Forces - Elvis Costello & the Attractions (1979)

Friarfan
              London Calling - The Clash (1979)
              The Ramones - The Ramones (1976)
              Raw Power - The Stooges (1973)
              Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! - Devo (1978)
              One Step Beyond - Madness (1979)
              This is true. I like the late 70s way better. I do have a few early 70s albums lined up.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                I keep wanting to pull the trigger on the 70's funk, soul R&B artists, but I just can't do it. Although I'd never take an album by that monster, Michael Jackson, it's hard to deny what a great album it is.
                Yea I can't bring myself to pick one of his albums either.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Hemispheres was on my list. It is the one Rush album from the '70s with no missteps at all (aside from the album cover). "La Villa Strangiato" is one of the greatest rock instrumentals.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• I don't know about the rest of you but I could go 25 rounds on this draft.
                    Last edited by BuckyBuckner; 01-06-2014, 12:12 PM.
                    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                      I don't about the rest of you but I could go 25 rounds on this draft.
                      Fairly sure most of us will.

Comment

I'm sure the same could be said of any decade...who's up for a 20s draft next?
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

I ain't quitting..

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                            I didn't like 'Plastic Ono Band' that much when I was a kid, it was so harsh and uncompromising, with no sweeteners like the Beatles used to do. I think it takes an adult to really appreciate it. It was John's nastiest period, he was really lashing out at everything during that time.
                            As wonderful as John Lennon The Iconic Artist was, John Lennon The Human Being was frequently a nasty, bitter, abusive, jealous, egomaniacal, paranoid prick. All by his own admission. He seemed to get a handle on a lot of that later in life, but his late-career music really suffered without those sharp edges.
                            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              So what sort of value does that translate to in round 6?
                              DOH!

Comment

• Pogues - f*cker

Comment

Working...
                                X