No announcement yet.

*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I considered Lust for Life because I knew it wouldn't make it back and to get a bonus Bowie pick, but it was on my 2nd tier this round.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Lust for Life is a very good album. I used to own it on vinyl a couple decades ago.
      FWIW, Every album I pick in this draft I own (or owned) on vinyl. I have passed on a couple because I only owned it on tape/disc.
      Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Lust for Life is a very good album. I used to own it on vinyl a couple decades ago.
        Lust for Life (the song) and The Passenger (from Lust for Life) were on our wedding playlist. I should post that list here sometime. No goddamned Macarena, YMCA or Chicken Dance at my wedding!

Comment

• Eldiablo UP
          Erik
          Mancalledfoot
          Swampy

Comment

• Originally posted by Grinch View Post
            FWIW, Every album I pick in this draft I own (or owned) on vinyl. I have passed on a couple because I only owned it on tape/disc.
            That's a new kind of snobbery, Shaun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
              Lust for Life (the song) and The Passenger (from Lust for Life) were on our wedding playlist. I should post that list here sometime. No goddamned Macarena, YMCA or Chicken Dance at my wedding!
              Not even Bryan Adams' "Heaven"?

Comment

I burned 6 CDs and told the DJ, 'don't play anything else, except Indian music' (of which he played a lot, mostly Bhangra). One of my HS friends actually whined about getting denied when he requested 'YMCA'.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  I burned 6 CDs and told the DJ, 'don't play anything else, except Indian music' (of which he played a lot, mostly Bhangra). One of my HS friends actually whined about getting denied when he requested 'YMCA'.
                  Did you get married under a totem pole? That was my weirdest wedding experience, of which there have been a few.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                    Not even Bryan Adams' "Heaven"?
                    No, but "Everything I do, I do it for You" (the Robin Hood song) was close to making the cut

Comment

• I really like Aja - Peg is a great tune. Steely Dan snobs tell me that Aja is Steely Dan for philistines, but I can't tell the difference between it and the earlier stuff that is supposedly so much better.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• All of Steely Dan's '70s albums are worthy, that's why I haven't pounced yet.

Aja is the zenith of '70s sessionman rock. It is smooth and flawless, but NOT soulless -- Becker and Fagen's sardonic wit is still there. I took the title track in the Desert Island draft -- Steve Gadd's drumming is mindblowing on that one.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

6.04 Superfly - Curtis Mayfield (1972)
                          Goddamnit, Chris! This was literally the last of the 70's funk/soul/r&b on my list.

Comment

That's a new kind of snobbery, Shaun.
                            It's something I can appreciate though. I have all the albums I've picked so far on vinyl. There is one I'm mulling over that I don't own on vinyl.
                            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                              It's something I can appreciate though. I have all the albums I've picked so far on vinyl. There is one I'm mulling over that I don't own on vinyl.
                              The Wildhearts aren't eligible

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                                Did you get married under a totem pole? That was my weirdest wedding experience, of which there have been a few.
                                No, but I did ride in on a white horse (The true tradition is an elephant but not many elephant rentals in Chicago, and we were already breaking tradition by having just a one-day ceremony...3-days minimum in India). We were married under a canopy-type contraption called a mandap. We walked around a fire seven times and I almost passed out beforehand from inhaling the fumes for what seemed like an hour.

We were actually featured in the Bahai national newspaper because we had our pics taken in front of their temple, one of only eight in the world. So if you google my name, you get to see them.

- Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X