No announcement yet.

*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was hoping Marquee Moon would slide some more. I took the title track in the Desert Island draft - it is one of my very favorite songs.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
      I was hoping Marquee Moon would slide some more. I took the title track in the Desert Island draft - it is one of my very favorite songs.
      Here is the version of Marquee Moon that I find fascinating

Comment

• Darn, Revo, you nicked Van Halen just as I was going to get to it.

Great debut. Best-ever first solo, too - the way that solo for "Running with the Devil" sings out of the speakers - with Dave's intro of course - just stakes out territory nobody had mined before, just a "Make room, folks, I'm here" that's just great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
          I was hoping Marquee Moon would slide some more. I took the title track in the Desert Island draft - it is one of my very favorite songs.
          I didn't expect it to make it back.

That was the first time I remember experiencing the :shockedexpression: "you haven't heard [Marquee Moon]?" :stillshockedexpression: moment.

Comment

• You guys are taking all the good punk while I'm focusing on the dinosaurs.
            One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
              You guys really pissed me off with some of the picks in this round - Elvis Costello, Cars.... but I got the one I really wanted.

Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
              I bet you think you were trying to piss me off with the Devo pick.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                His first two albums are a coin flip for me. I have no beef with This Year's Model going first - gun to head, I'd probably say that one's the better record - but I have some sentimental attachment to My Aim Is True, so I'm very happy to get it.

I know there are multiple Costello fans in this draft, so... who gets the last cookie?
                I like This Year's Model better but I also always forget that Radio Radio was not originally part of the album. It's Steve Nieve work on on that album that makes it for me. I still love the fact that the band for My Aim is True was Clover (which is basically The News of Huey Lewis and the...) but I know you know that.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Revo with an awesome pick..i was taking it this round. The importance and WTF factor of VH cannot be over stated.

One of the landmark albums of the 70's. No guitarist sounded like eddie. He came out of nowhere with that fucking brilliant guitar work.

And he looked so fucking cool playing guitar.....he made it look so easy.....damn!!!!
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    Revo with an awesome pick..i was taking it this round. The importance and WTF factor of VH cannot be over stated.

One of the landmark albums of the 70's. No guitarist sounded like eddie. He came out of nowhere with that fucking brilliant guitar work.

And he looked so fucking cool playing guitar.....he made it look so easy.....damn!!!!
                    Most of that album is ripped off, so I'd disagree about it coming out of nowhere.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      Most of that album is ripped off, so I'd disagree about it coming out of nowhere.
                      Nine out of 11 songs on the album were written by the band, so I'd say "most" is a bit of an exaggeration.

Comment

• Loved the CCR, Funkadelic, Cars, Costello and CSNY picks. Don't know as much about early Genesis or Devo as I probably should.

I blanked Maggot Brain. Was playing it this afternoon when my brother-in-law came around, very loud. He lasted about 3 minutes before uttering something unrepeatable and going to another room. Success.

Comment

• This would make a great cover for a mid-70's concept album.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                            I bet you think you were trying to piss me off with the Devo pick.
                            It crossed my mind that it might...did it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                              It crossed my mind that it might...did it?
                              Nope. Close though.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                                Nope. Close though.
                                Damn

Comment

Working...
                                X