No announcement yet.

*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Both Curtis and Damn the Torpedos were on my list. I almost took DTT instead of John Barleycorn. As I said in the '80s draft, DTT and Full Moon Fever are by far Petty's most consistent albums. His others have at least a handful of songs that I can take or leave, but those two are strong all the way through. DTT propelled him from one of many heartland rockers vying for radio play to Springsteen/Seger status.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• This draft is reminding me of a lot of stuff I've been meaning to get forever, like Traffic and Curtis Mayfield. Time to fill some holes in the collection.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• For Traffic, Shoot out at the Fantasy Factory is boring and Last Exit is a collection of outtakes cobbled together after their first breakup, but all of their other albums are worth having.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
          For Traffic, Shoot out at the Fantasy Factory is boring and Last Exit is a collection of outtakes cobbled together after their first breakup, but all of their other albums are worth having.
          I'll be starting with John Barleycorn and, uh, you probably know which other one. I used to have "that other one" at some point, I'm not sure what happened to it.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
            I'll be starting with John Barleycorn and, uh, you probably know which other one. I used to have "that other one" at some point, I'm not sure what happened to it.
            They cut corners to make 'that other one'
            Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

• Another ARRGGHH on Damn the Torpedoes, although for Petty I have a backup plan.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                Is Traffic prog?

"Prog" is one of those shadowy words that I'm never really sure what it means. Like "post-punk."

I guess if an album has multiple songs exceeding 6 minutes in length, it's a prog album. Am I close?
                I tend to use the word imprecisely and very generally. Probably not a good idea in a 70's draft.

Comment

• Think I picked 2 from Desire in the Dylan draft: "One More Cup Of Coffee" and "Isis" (or "Sara") ... though don't hold me to that.

Comment

• 6.10 Desire - Bob Dylan (1976)
                    My list is just getting decimated now.

I don't think it's Bob who has the hang-up about Youtube videos of his studio recordings, but Columbia Records. It made things challenging in the Dylan draft, e.g. when I used a 9th round pick on Blind Willie McTell, arguably his greatest song left off a studio album, but all there was on Youtube was a crappy live version that bore no resemblance to the studio version, meaning that those who hadn't heard it were all like "you spent a ninth round pick on THAT?"

Comment

• Found an embed of "Sara" on Vimeo

Bob Dylan : Sara (Rare) from Roses of Time on Vimeo.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                        Think I picked 2 from Desire in the Dylan draft: "One More Cup Of Coffee" and "Isis" (or "Sara") ... though don't hold me to that.
                        Johnny:
                        1.03 - A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
                        2.05 - All Along the Watchtower
                        3.03 - Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands
                        4.05 - One More Cup of Coffee
                        5.03 - Love Minus Zero/No Limit
                        6.05 - You're a Big Girl Now
                        7.03 - Only a Pawn in Their Game
                        8.05 - With God on Our Side
                        9.03 - Queen Jane Approximately
                        10.05 - Ballad in Plain D
                        11.03 - Mississippi
                        12.05 - I Pity the Poor Immigrant
                        13.03 - I Threw It All Away
                        14.05 - I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine
                        15.03 - I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
                        16.05 - Bob Dylan's 115th Dream
                        17.03 - Talkin' World War III Blues
                        18.05 - Song to Woody
                        19.03 - As I Went out One Morning
                        20.05 - Make You Feel My Love

You're welcome.

Comment

• Also, I'm out of Lucky picks ... so unless someone else has a list, we could be on hold there.

Comment

• 6.11 The Jam - All Mod Cons (1978)
                            And another one on my list gone. This round has been brutal. Y'all let Sound Affects fall into the teens in the 80s-90s draft.

Comment

Johnny:
                              1.03 - A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
                              20.05 - Make You Feel My Love

You're welcome.
                              Guess it was only one. That was a fun draft. Sadly, I lost the huge Dylan playlist I painstakingly built when my hard drive died over Xmas.

Comment

And another one on my list gone. This round has been brutal. Y'all let Sound Affects fall into the teens in the 80s-90s draft.
                                Probably cause their earlier stuff is better and there was 20 years of albums Sound Affects was going up against. Sound Affects happens to have my favorite Jam song; Ghosts.
                                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                                X