Affordable Health Care Law under review by SCOTUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
    Here's my question...what is going to be the grounds for the criticism that Obama failed to take enough action? There were the largely symbolic sanctions...kicking out the 'diplomats', closing the compounds, applying some economic measures...plus the direct warnings and the planning for planting the 'cyber-bombs'. From what we can tell, the direct confrontation of Putin in September in China stopped further Russian attacks, but at that point the hacking had been done and it was only a matter of the material being released. So, what other actions should the White House have taken?

Given what the White House knew, which was that Putin was trying to swing the election in favor of Trump, what would have happened if the administration had come forth and said the Russians were cheating to help Trump win? Would anyone have believed it, or would it have been portrayed as a desperate and pathetic attempt to salvage a victory for Hillary?

Should we have taken military action against Russia? More economic sanctions? U.N. resolutions? How would the White House have explained any of this to the country?

A cyber response was an option, which is what the administration was planning when Obama's term ended.

What are some actions he should have taken, but let us down by failing to take?
    Lucky, when your own people are lamenting, after the fact, that "maybe we should have done more". There is an issue. I think most people realized the Russian meddling was pro-Trump, so coming out and saying it wouldn't have changed much. I'm about 110% positive everyone in America knew Obama was in Hillary's camp, so that's a non-starter.

Kicking some diplomats out...big deal. Obama's lack of response (militarily, cyber, economic, etc.) handed Putin all the power in the US-Russian relations. Putin probably looked at the expulsion of diplomats and thought, "That's all you've got?" He didn't even expel our diplomats from Russian, as he saw no purpose. Obama let Putin dictate policy in Syria. Obama was neutered by Putin in almost ever case.
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      I'm not following you...what would be fake news about coverage pulled directly from the MinnCare website?

My son has to go in every two weeks for an IV, followed with a daily dose of medication. He's somewhat subsidized, but not to a great extent...his insurance covers the vast majority of his treatment costs. I can ask him to get further details...
      MinnesotaCare is government subsidized insurance. It's sliding-scaled fee based. MNCare is great coverage, but the general public can't access that coverage. Hence the fake news comment.

I was just talking with a friend of mine this morning who is on MNCare. She finds it ridiculous that she qualifies. Let me tell you a little about her:

She retired early this year. She is maybe 60 years old. When she retired, she had to apply for her own insurance through MNSure. Because of her income (not assets) she qualifies for MNCare. She drives a 2015 BMX SUV and is living off of her savings. However, because she has very little income, she qualifies for MNCare. She shared with me that her Financial Advisor said he has a handful of clients like her that qualify for MNCare.

IMO and her's, it is outrageous that she gets this kind of coverage when she could pay for private insurance.

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
        Lucky, when your own people are lamenting, after the fact, that "maybe we should have done more". There is an issue. I think most people realized the Russian meddling was pro-Trump, so coming out and saying it wouldn't have changed much. I'm about 110% positive everyone in America knew Obama was in Hillary's camp, so that's a non-starter.

Kicking some diplomats out...big deal. Obama's lack of response (militarily, cyber, economic, etc.) handed Putin all the power in the US-Russian relations. Putin probably looked at the expulsion of diplomats and thought, "That's all you've got?" He didn't even expel our diplomats from Russian, as he saw no purpose. Obama let Putin dictate policy in Syria. Obama was neutered by Putin in almost ever case.
        And you didn't come close to answering the question. What are some actions he should have taken, but let us down by failing to take? Coming out and saying it? That's all you've got?

EDIT: Look, I understand if you want to get on Obama's case, but implying that he failed to utilize all these unknown, wonderful options available to him pretty much re-tweeting Trump, and that's not your style. If you really think he screwed the pooch, let's hear some real arguments in support.
        Last edited by Redbirds Fan; 07-06-2017, 12:03 PM.
        If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

MinnesotaCare is government subsidized insurance. It's sliding-scaled fee based. MNCare is great coverage, but the general public can't access that coverage. Hence the fake news comment.

I was just talking with a friend of mine this morning who is on MNCare. She finds it ridiculous that she qualifies. Let me tell you a little about her:

She retired early this year. She is maybe 60 years old. When she retired, she had to apply for her own insurance through MNSure. Because of her income (not assets) she qualifies for MNCare. She drives a 2015 BMX SUV and is living off of her savings. However, because she has very little income, she qualifies for MNCare. She shared with me that her Financial Advisor said he has a handful of clients like her that qualify for MNCare.

IMO and her's, it is outrageous that she gets this kind of coverage when she could pay for private insurance.
          I see what you're saying, and I take the 180 degree opposite view. I think that it's fantastic that a prosperous state such as our, one with a surplus rather than a deficit, can help subsidize people like your friend. Maybe she'll take that money she's saving on insurance and do some other good with it, pay it forward so to speak. Or maybe she takes that trip she's always wanted to do. No matter what she does, SHE'S in control, not the other way around. And that's hopefully what life will eventually be for all of us.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

And you didn't come close to answering the question. What are some actions he should have taken, but let us down by failing to take? Coming out and saying it? That's all you've got?

EDIT: Look, I understand if you want to get on Obama's case, but implying that he failed to utilize all these unknown, wonderful options available to him pretty much re-tweeting Trump, and that's not your style. If you really think he screwed the pooch, let's hear some real arguments in support.
            Yup, I'm a Trump-puppet.

I guess I thought answered some of that, by saying what he didn't do. (being snarky) I anticipated a higher level of readership that could understand some of those non-actions are the actions he should have taken.

What would I have liked to see:

- Being more aggressive and leading the campaign in Syria. (Remember, I stated Obama's foreign policy as a whole was going to be an anchor). He let Putin dictate everything that happened in Syria. A complete lack of international leadership. IMO, I think Obama was completed handcuffed by the Nobel Prize (heck, I think he even felt that way).
            - Obama could have spent from Sept-Jan. 20 wreaking havoc on the Russians in cyberspace. Unfortunately, I don't think the US military/intelligence is well-equipped for this type of warfare, but again, who's to blame for that lack of leadership and foresight.
            - Economic sanctions against Russia. Hells-bells, perhaps you talk with your allies (EU) that are actually getting things, like oil, from Russia and tell them, "Hey pick you allegiance here. I'll get you more oil from the Middle East, but you've got to support me here."

Obama castrated himself before he took the Oath of Office by portraying himself as conflict adverse...he got run over.

I will tell you I think Obama did some good on domestic-issues, so please don't paint me as a neo-con, because it is patently false.
            -

Comment

I see what you're saying, and I take the 180 degree opposite view. I think that it's fantastic that a prosperous state such as our, one with a surplus rather than a deficit, can help subsidize people like your friend.
              Hey, I don't harbor ill-will to anyone taking something that they honestly qualify for and someone is handing out.

But why am I not eligible? My wife and I have income of less than $50,000 for the year and the best I can afford is insurance with a $14,000 deductible. How is it remotely fair that I should have to spend about 30% of my income to cover medical expenses. In reality, I will never use that whole amount unless I need some type of surgery, but realistically, why wouldn't I just file for bankruptcy if I was at the cap?

I rarely use this term, but it a fucking joke.

Comment

Hey, I don't harbor ill-will to anyone taking something that they honestly qualify for and someone is handing out.

But why am I not eligible? My wife and I have income of less than $50,000 for the year and the best I can afford is insurance with a $14,000 deductible. How is it remotely fair that I should have to spend about 30% of my income to cover medical expenses. In reality, I will never use that whole amount unless I need some type of surgery, but realistically, why wouldn't I just file for bankruptcy if I was at the cap?

Question for you, have you seen a MinnCare councilor? Someone who knows the system and can walk you through the landmines? Because I agree, you SHOULD qualify for assistance if that's your income and you file as a family. Based on what I've personally seen, I'm shocked that you don't.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Question for you, have you seen a MinnCare councilor? Someone who knows the system and can walk you through the landmines? Because I agree, you SHOULD qualify for assistance if that's your income and you file as a family. Based on what I've personally seen, I'm shocked that you don't.
                  Worked with the MNSure counselor twice, don't qualify.

Here's my favorite part of my interaction with the ACA and MNSure. The first year of the program, I had a great policy, $4,000 family deductible. It was affordable, of course, that's before insurance companies decided they were losing their shirts. Anyway, that first year, I applied for a the Silver Plan for my daughter, wife and me. I'm thinking $4,000 is doable for the three of us. The kick in the nuts...MN decides to take my daughter off our policy and place her on Medical Assistance. So instead of three of working toward the deductible, I have two people working toward it. I somewhat felt penalized that my daughter wasn't able to be on our insurance.

It's all screwy.

Comment

Sorry, I know I'm not actually in this discussion, but this is a not a joke, it's a fucking crime, all the way around.

If our society makes it this hard for people to make a living and afford health care at the same time, so that both parents have to work and it still doesn't happen, we are truly screwed.
                    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Worked with the MNSure counselor twice, don't qualify.

Here's my favorite part of my interaction with the ACA and MNSure. The first year of the program, I had a great policy, $4,000 family deductible. It was affordable, of course, that's before insurance companies decided they were losing their shirts. Anyway, that first year, I applied for a the Silver Plan for my daughter, wife and me. I'm thinking $4,000 is doable for the three of us. The kick in the nuts...MN decides to take my daughter off our policy and place her on Medical Assistance. So instead of three of working toward the deductible, I have two people working toward it. I somewhat felt penalized that my daughter wasn't able to be on our insurance.

It's all screwy.
                      Sorry, ITC, I really wish that I knew how you guys fell through the cracks in the system...I have no idea how things like that happen.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Yup, I'm a Trump-puppet.
                        Don't forget racist, misogynist, homophobe, warmongering, climate change denier and xenophobe. They go together.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                          Don't forget racist, misogynist, homophobe, warmongering, climate change denier and xenophobe. They go together.

J
                          You forgot, anti intellectual, ya moran.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hodor View Post
                            You forgot, anti intellectual, ya moran.
                            It's Moron you Moran.
                            I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post

J
                              Your point is taken. However, if you were to read the "comments" section of any newspaper around here, you wouldn't be so glib.

Comment

Your point is taken. However, if you were to read the "comments" section of any newspaper around here, you wouldn't be so glib.
                                But you think the comment sections are different in a deep blue state like Illinois? The faint of heart and mentally sane shouldn't read comment sections in any paper or online news site.
                                I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Working...
                                X