Affordable Health Care Law under review by SCOTUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    Oh, and just for further review...California just shelved their single payer plan in committee in the Assembly.
    Thought this was interesting

Democrats' move to block a health care initiative they once supported spotlights the party’s populist challenge in the Trump era.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    ---------------------------------------------
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      They shelved it because they got twice the campaign donations from the Industry than thy had before................It's ALWAYS about the money.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• So, is this irony? I always get confused since that Alanis Morissette song which was distinctly NOT about irony...

The vote on the health care bill is delayed because an Octogenarian who's health care is being paid by the government had to have surgery, and can't make it back for the vote. You know, the vote that'll strip many elderly people of a lot of their health care benefits? Or at the very least make them pay a lot more?

BTW, the next time "Maverick" McCain actually pulls a maverick move and votes against his party, will likely be the 1st. The very fact that McConnell is delaying the vote shows that he has McCain in his pocket, and can't afford to lose him.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          So, is this irony? I always get confused since that Alanis Morissette song which was distinctly NOT about irony...

The vote on the health care bill is delayed because an Octogenarian who's health care is being paid by the government had to have surgery, and can't make it back for the vote. You know, the vote that'll strip many elderly people of a lot of their health care benefits? Or at the very least make them pay a lot more?

BTW, the next time "Maverick" McCain actually pulls a maverick move and votes against his party, will likely be the 1st. The very fact that McConnell is delaying the vote shows that he has McCain in his pocket, and can't afford to lose him.
          Coincidence, not irony.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

How he ever secured that nickname is beyond me.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Looks like the Horrible health Care Act is pretty well dead now. Not because it's a terrible bill that would hurt millions, but apparently because it wasn't terrible enough. Mike Lee and Jerry Moran decided to be "no" votes...because this is the kind of bill that could lead to single payer! What Universe they're living in, I have no idea...

In announcing their opposition to the bill, Moran and Lee said they would vote "no" on the motion to proceed -- a vote that McConnell had hoped to hold this week but was already forced to postpone due to Arizona Sen. John McCain's absence from Washington this week.

"We should not put our stamp of approval on bad policy. Furthermore, if we leave the federal government in control of everyday healthcare decisions, it is more likely that our healthcare system will devolve into a single-payer system, which would require a massive federal spending increase," Moran said in a statement.
              The Republican Party’s efforts to gut former President Barack Obama’s legacy health care law came to an abrupt – if temporary – halt Monday night.

Strange, through the looking glass reasoning, but anything that kills this beast and leads to something better, I'm all for.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Strange, through the looking glass reasoning, but anything that kills this beast and leads to something better, I'm all for.
                There are some in this world that dont believe that single payer is the answer. Some people believe that if you allow for a competitive market the cost actually will come down. Single payer may happen, but there will be insurance for "the stuff that aint covered".
                It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• What do you mean by allow for a competitive market? Is this the old thing about selling across state borders?

I'm pretty sure there is no federal law that prohibits this. Instead, there are a couple of practical barriers. One is that states want to regulate what type of coverage is offered. They don't want the 'race to the bottom' so far as quality and controls are concerned. The other is that many carriers don't want to spend the resources to move into other areas where they are not now offering coverage.

Think about it. How much would it cost to go in and set up networks...hospitals, doctors, providers...all without a guarantee that they would actually have customers. That would be a huge risk carriers won't take. 'State lines' is something people like to fuss about, but it is a red herring. Some states have made specific provisions to allow and encourage companies from other states to come in, with no success.

How else is someone not allowing for a competitive market? And where was this competitive market driving down prices before Obamacare?

Talk, talk. The GOP has seen that talking is easy, leading is hard.
                  If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Health care is one area where you cant actually shop around in order to find the best price. In fact most of the time you dont even know what the price is because the person providing you the service doesnt actually set the price. The system is broken.

I have come around a bit on single payer - conceptually. However, I have no faith that our government can actually implement and manage it. Government sucks at doing most everything they do.
                    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                      Health care is one area where you cant actually shop around in order to find the best price. In fact most of the time you dont even know what the price is because the person providing you the service doesnt actually set the price. The system is broken.

I have come around a bit on single payer - conceptually. However, I have no faith that our government can actually implement and manage it. Government sucks at doing most everything they do.
                      Insurance companies broke the system. Private industry sucks at doing most everything it does. It is self-serving and pernicious. That is why society has historically found ways to regulate it.
                      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Private industry is the reason we have the technological advances that we have. Without competition in the marketplace there is no economic incentive to make a better product. Yes, we do regulate things that private industry does. We as a society allowed the insurance companies to break the system. How it broke, why it broke ---- moot at this point.

We agree that it is broken.

Comment

Showing once again that Politicians DON"T represent us in any way, shape or form. The GOP in the Senate is trying to sneak the ACHA past without hearings, joining the house in purging Obamacare from the books. This despite the CBO scores, the lack of coverage for millions more people, and finally, a FOX News poll that indicates that only 17% of Americans approve of the AHCA, and 62% disapprove. Almost 2/3rds of the nation doesn't want this, but unless a few GOP Senators cross the aisle, it's gonna happen.
                          Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                          source? AFAIK the house bill was DOA in the senate.
                          Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          I'll do the heavy lifting for you...
                          http://www.latimes.com/business/hilt...609-story.html
                          told you it was DOA.
                          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                            told you it was DOA.
                            Note this line at the end of my post...

but unless a few GOP Senators cross the aisle, it's gonna happen.
                            They crossed, it died.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• It's over but it isn't over. ACA is a train headed for the end of the tracks--as designed. Trump was not bluffing about that and his disavowal of ownership will likely be effective. For good or ill, ACA is the arena of the 2018 elections, both primaries and general.

ACA was always intended to fail. Ideally, it was supposed to take Big-Insurance and Big-Pharma out with it. The problem with that is Big-Insurance and Big-Pharma are semi-mythological. The real insurance and pharmaceutical industries are more diverse and resourceful than given credit. So, what we have is a dinosaur that is stuck in tar. The beast belongs to the Democratic party and for now it is still active. Given two more years, things will be different. Congress will be different. In the meantime, perhaps the Democrats can teach their horse to sing.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Note this line at the end of my post...

They crossed, it died.
                                so essentially you said that if the majority party is united this thing will pass. Couldn't you say that about everything?

Anyway, I've been saying this was dead long before the house passed it. The senate was never, ever going to find 50 votes for it.
                                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Working...
                                X