Affordable Health Care Law under review by SCOTUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    I don't get this post, why should there be any step backward? What is it about the ACA that should be changed, just a list of what you disagree with would be a sufficient answer and then an example of the step forward.
    Im not saying that it has to be backward. I am saying that often when making evaluations about things in life - it is possible that second steps can be steps backwards in order to settle things down or sometimes you flat out make the wrong step. Its life and assessing progress is typically done in hindsight, so we learn from our mistakes.....

I dont believe that govt subsidized health care should be for everything as you do. ITC's starting point seemed fairly reasonable in my mind.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      Im not saying that it has to be backward. I am saying that often when making evaluations about things in life - it is possible that second steps can be steps backwards in order to settle things down or sometimes you flat out make the wrong step. Its life and assessing progress is typically done in hindsight, so we learn from our mistakes.....

I dont believe that govt subsidized health care should be for everything as you do. ITC's starting point seemed fairly reasonable in my mind.
      I understand this, but what, with regard to Care, is the issue with the ACA? Is it covering too much? Too many? Is it the Mandate? pre Existing conditions? What exactly are we trying to keep from making worse?
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• So your asking me to tell you what the issues are in regards to ACA?

We have 140 pages detailing various concerns related to the ACA and 140 pages of how if you dont like the ACA you must hate the poor people of the world.

Im trying to get us to move past that.
        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          How long have you been on this site?
          oh yes, I know some here could use at least 365 mental health visits a year. Just the fact that I keep coming back here means I could use a few myself.

Just saying I'm not sure a large enough chunk of the population needs it to make it worth including.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
            oh yes, I know some here could use at least 365 mental health visits a year. Just the fact that I keep coming back here means I could use a few myself.

Just saying I'm not sure a large enough chunk of the population needs it to make it worth including.
            There are some that would say that if 1 person needs it the government should cover it.....

Comment

There are some that would say that if 1 person needs it the government should cover it.....
              How much do we spend to provide protection from terrorists for one person?

Comment

So your asking me to tell you what the issues are in regards to ACA?

We have 140 pages detailing various concerns related to the ACA and 140 pages of how if you dont like the ACA you must hate the poor people of the world.

Im trying to get us to move past that.
                Never going to happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
                  Warren Buffett says America is ready for single-payer health care.

I think that's something largely overlooked. Business could compete much better without the cost of health care for their employees. I can tell you that my employees didn't like it when we had to freeze wages or cut other items. But they freaked out when we discussed getting less medical coverage or shift some cost to them. Medical insurance was far and away the most important benefit they had. And according to Buffet (who admits he is not a expert on health coverage) it's more burdensome that taxes. I know my company would be happy paying higher taxes if we didn't have to hassle with medical insurance.
                  This is an excellent and under-discussed point. Some level of universal coverage would be embraced by businesses. It would be a good thing for all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    This is an excellent and under-discussed point. Some level of universal coverage would be embraced by businesses. It would be a good thing for all.
                    Here's a question...I know that Obamacare makes employee health insurance mandatory for businesses with over 50 employees. What does it do to businesses with fewer employees? Is there any impact other than increased premium costs for the business which choose to provide insurance?
                    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                      Here's a question...I know that Obamacare makes employee health insurance mandatory for businesses with over 50 employees. What does it do to businesses with fewer employees? Is there any impact other than increased premium costs for the business which choose to provide insurance?
                      Businesses with under 50 employees are not required to share responsibility for health insurance with their employees. However, if they choose to, there is a Small Business Marketplace to purchase group plans, and many small businesses can qualify for a tax credit if they cover at least 50% of their employees' premium costs.

Comment

• Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                        Businesses with under 50 employees are not required to share responsibility for health insurance with their employees. However, if they choose to, there is a Small Business Marketplace to purchase group plans, and many small businesses can qualify for a tax credit if they cover at least 50% of their employees' premium costs.
                        I wasn't clear on how it works exactly, but I believe this is how my sister, who works at a hoagie shop that is owned, along with a few other locations, but a family that treats its employees well, relative to other such businesses. Either that, or the had to do it once they opened their 6th location--that might have put them over the 50 employee mark. It happened around the same time. Either way, she is very happy to have health care. I haven't heard from her that she is losing it at this point.

Comment

• I have fewer than 50 employees and how it affects me is that, as a practical matter, I need to provide it in order to keep good employees. So the exception for small businesses really was semi-bogus. (Having said that, we've always provided group insurance for our employees and are happy to do so. You take good care of your troops and they take good care of you, as my uncle the Marine Colonel used to tell me.)
                          “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                          -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                            What exactly are the goals of the GOP when it comes to health care?

Has anyone here actually posted the answer to this question?
                            That's easy. They don't know.

A substantial number think that ACA is the worst piece of legislation in their lifetime and want to remove every jot and tittle. They would then go in a different direction. Single payer is the worst case scenario in their mind, since more government equates to more bureaucracy and less humanity. Another substantial part of the party wants something federal, but not as radical as ACA. A handful may be content with the status quo, except that ACA is breaking down under its own weight.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• So today our fearless leader suggest that the GOP just repeal the ACA and replace it down the road. Why don't we go back to kerosene lights and wood stoves in our homes until we can find a way to replace them all with renewable energy powered ones?

This guy just throws shit against the wall and hopes it sticks, he has to be the least intelligent person to hold the office of POtuS.
                              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                                So today our fearless leader suggest that the GOP just repeal the ACA and replace it down the road. Why don't we go back to kerosene lights and wood stoves in our homes until we can find a way to replace them all with renewable energy powered ones?

This guy just throws shit against the wall and hopes it sticks, he has to be the least intelligent person EVER.
                                fixed.

Comment

Working...
                                X