Affordable Health Care Law under review by SCOTUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Right, so you think best business practices outweigh your fellow Americans' lives, got it.
    No - I think that the right of the person to choose who they serve is up to them. If they choose not serve a large group of people - they will go out of business.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      No - I think that the right of the person to choose who they serve is up to them. If they choose not serve a large group of people - they will go out of business.
      No, everyone has to use it, unlike any other market.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Are a big fan of Martin Shkreli? Helluva businessman.
        Shkreli is an ass and attempted (and to some point he was successful) to take advantage of the way drugs are regulated and there is no competition on drugs for X period of time before "generics" are then available. My contention is if you allow for true competition in the market the prices will actually go down. Please watch as Mr. Shapiro explains this very well:

It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Huh? Many doctors would choose not to serve people who can't pay them. In which case, they wouldn't go out of business, they'd improve their financial position, and there'd be no market pressure at all to treat the poor.

I find your point of view bizarre - why are the concerns of insurance companies and doctors more important to you than the health of your fellow citizens?

Nobody's expecting doctors to be on the hook for patients who can't pay. I think most taxpayers are willing to cover the gaps, we just need to find fair and effective ways to keep the gaps manageable.

OK, now I'm leaving.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Don't mean to single you out, but it sickens me how we talk about healthcare in this country. Guess what, life is a pre-existing condition. At some point, we all get sick or injured and die. Let's make money off of that, yea 'Murica!!
            You arent singling me out. I answered you honestly. I also think as Shapiro states, that if you make healthcare a commodity - get rid of many of the bs regulations and base who is successful on whether they provide good services - prices will drop to a point that most regular care can be done fairly inexpensively. Hell, doctors used to do house calls and if the person didnt have money - well the doctor went home with a chicken or something else that became the agreed upon price. The government cant get taxes out of a chicken.

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
              can someone explain whats so wrong with what Chaffetz said? A new iphone 7 is $700, with tax around here its $758. A new iphone 7 plus is $942 with tax. I expect that if you're paying that much for a phone, you dont need help buying health insurance. I pay for my health insurance and I cant remember the last time I had a new phone. I always buy used phones usually < $200.
              CBB, one reason people like Chaffetz get ridiculed all the time is because they say stupid sh*t. Average cost of health care for an American family of four is $2100 per month. Insurance policies regularly run from $500 per month for those who have good jobs to over $1500 per month for those who don't.

Chaffetz didn't say an Iphone 7, but let's assume that he meant that. I got one Friday. It cost me $30 a month. Even if I to purchase for some reason, I could buy a dozen or so a year for what I pay for health insurance.

So here is what's wrong with what Chaffetz says. It implies that poor people piss away their money. It is like the study talking about how great the poor had it because so many of them had refrigerators. It is the 2017 answer to Reagan's "welfare queen" myth. It is snotty and implicitly racist. It is divisive. It foments class conflict. And it was politically inept for someone trying to pass a legislative package.
              If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post

I find your point of view bizarre - why are the concerns of insurance companies and doctors more important to you than the health of your fellow citizens?
                Each person in the equation has rights. The sick person and the doctor. I just feel that the government should not be forcing the doctor to serve someone he may or may not want to. His right is just as important the sick persons. If doctor A wont serve him - go to doctor B.

Comment

You arent singling me out. I answered you honestly. I also think as Shapiro states, that if you make healthcare a commodity - get rid of many of the bs regulations and base who is successful on whether they provide good services - prices will drop to a point that most regular care can be done fairly inexpensively. Hell, doctors used to do house calls and if the person didnt have money - well the doctor went home with a chicken or something else that became the agreed upon price. The government cant get taxes out of a chicken.
                  When do you think was the last time doctors made house calls and took chickens in payment? Did you grow up in a Norman Rockwell painting?
                  If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• I live in fly-over country. House calls ended when insurance companies couldnt authorize the treatments that were being done. My point is that healthcare was reasonably available and priced at one time in our past. What has changed?

Comment

Each person in the equation has rights. The sick person and the doctor. I just feel that the government should not be forcing the doctor to serve someone he may or may not want to. His right is just as important the sick persons. If doctor A wont serve him - go to doctor B.
                      In my hometown, there was one doctor. No Doctor B. So if Doctor A won't see people who can't pay, then what?
                      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

• Lets switch this up a bit...

I worked downtown Mpls for the last 2 years. Everyday I walked by at least 5 - 10 people in the skyway system holding signs and asking for food or money. Is it my responsibility to stop and give each one of them a sawbuck? How many times have you walked up to the homeless guy and handed him cash - what about the guy 15ft away - did you stop there?

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                          In my hometown, there was one doctor. No Doctor B. So if Doctor A won't see people who can't pay, then what?
                          Then he is a douche! It also means that when someone else in town becomes a doctor he will have a bunch of people ready and waiting for his services. Your problem is that there isnt any competition forcing doctor A. You could go to the next town over.

Additionally, due to the lack of competition doctor A can charge whatever the hell he wants. Maybe its his exorbitant pricing that is the issue.

Comment

Lets switch this up a bit...

I worked downtown Mpls for the last 2 years. Everyday I walked by at least 5 - 10 people in the skyway system holding signs and asking for food or money. Is it my responsibility to stop and give each one of them a sawbuck? How many times have you walked up to the homeless guy and handed him cash - what about the guy 15ft away - did you stop there?
                            I don't give street people money, but I am perfectly willing to help people who through no fault of their own are legitimately sick and seeking treatment.

Comment

Then he is a douche! It also means that when someone else in town becomes a doctor he will have a bunch of people ready and waiting for his services. Your problem is that there isnt any competition forcing doctor A. You could go to the next town over.

Additionally, due to the lack of competition doctor A can charge whatever the hell he wants. Maybe its his exorbitant pricing that is the issue.
                              Damn, and here I thought I was the most callous RotoJunkie. I'm going to have to up my game.

Comment

I don't understand why you're making 19th century arguments to a 21st century problem.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X