Affordable Health Care Law under review by SCOTUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    THAT should be the state priority at this point, not getting a new bleepin' hockey arena for Frostbite Falls...
    done

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve View Post
      done

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Would people be willing to share where they get their health insurance (employer, exchange, etc.) and what they are seeing for percentage increases for 2017? Also, what the monthly premium and deductibles are for their policies? Just trying to get a feel for where people are at in this whole issue.

Thanks!
        "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
        - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
        - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Edited post to remove rambling diatribe so ITC can get information he is asking for.....
          Last edited by baldgriff; 10-26-2016, 02:29 PM.
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Here's the deal, politics aside. While the premiums nationally are increasing roughly 22%, the subsidies individuals receive will increase at about the same rate, so most people will NOT see much, if any, increase in their premiums.

The cost of health insurance under the Affordable Care Act is expected to rise an average of 22 percent in 2017, according to information released by the Obama administration Monday afternoon.

Still, federal subsidies will also rise, meaning that few people are likely to have to pay the full cost after the rate increases to get insurance coverage.

"We think they will ultimately be surprised by the affordability of the premiums, because the tax credits track with the increases in premiums," said Kevin Griffis, assistant secretary for public affairs at the Department of Health and Human Services.

The 22 percent rise reflects the average for all insurance marketplaces, both federal and state-based exchanges for which data are available. For insurance purchased through the federal HealthCare.gov exchange the rise will average 25 percent.
            The premiums on benchmark plans are increasing by an average of 22 percent in 2017, the government says, but more than 70 percent of people can get one for less than $75 a month after subsidies.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Here's the deal, politics aside. While the premiums nationally are increasing roughly 22%, the subsidies individuals receive will increase at about the same rate, so most people will NOT see much, if any, increase in their premiums.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-s...o-do-subsidies
              Hears the deal, real life. My premium is looking to go up $120/month that with the new subsidy I will receive.

Horns, I would think your employer would love to have you, a camera and reporter talk with some real life people...

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                Hears the deal, real life. My premium is looking to go up $120/month that with the new subsidy I will receive.

Horns, I would think your employer would love to have you, a camera and reporter talk with some real life people...
                Did you change the level of your plan? And honestly, don't blame the ACA, blame the companies...they all got into it being greedy, thinking that they'd make an even larger fortune with all the newly insured. Then they bailed out when they realized that there was only a SMALL fortune to be made off the newly insured. The biggest mistake the ACA made was not requiring insurers to sign on for a 10 year period instead of being able to bail after a year or two.

I'm with ELD, single payer now.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Did you change the level of your plan? And honestly, don't blame the ACA, blame the companies...they all got into it being greedy, thinking that they'd make an even larger fortune with all the newly insured. Then they bailed out when they realized that there was only a SMALL fortune to be made off the newly insured. The biggest mistake the ACA made was not requiring insurers to sign on for a 10 year period instead of being able to bail after a year or two.

I'm with ELD, single payer now.
                  Nope, no change in plan. I have the cheapest Bronze Plan available. Limited network, high deductible.

I don't blame the ACA for this. There is plenty of blame to go around.

My biggest issue is I am stuck in a pool of people that came with pre-existing conditions and weren't eligible for insurance. I'm stuck carrying the water that should be spread out evenly on everyone. Governor Dayton, for goodness sake, even sees that this is broken.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                    Nope, no change in plan. I have the cheapest Bronze Plan available. Limited network, high deductible.

I don't blame the ACA for this. There is plenty of blame to go around.

My biggest issue is I am stuck in a pool of people that came with pre-existing conditions and weren't eligible for insurance. I'm stuck carrying the water that should be spread out evenly on everyone. Governor Dayton, for goodness sake, even sees that this is broken.
                    Sorry to hear that, but trust me on this. The Dems in Minnesota will NOT allow the GOP to take this as an issue and run with it. They'll do a special session and get the money to at least roll back the increases, if not do a little better.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• So I just recently started my own company and now need to get my own health insurance. My prior company was in NY and I live in NJ/PA.

Cobra through my old company for its crappy, high-deductible insurance would cost me $600/mo for just me. Through the Obamacare exchange, I can get a much better, low deductible plan for $350/mo.

What am I missing here?

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                        Private insurance sucked nuts before Obamacare. It was expensive, shitty, and fucked over the people who need it the most.

Private insurance continues to suck post-Obamacare. It is expensive, shitty, and since they are no longer allowed by law to fuck people over who need it the most, they shift those lost profits elsewhere. Worst industry on earth.

Single payer now.
                        Wait - why would anyone be surprised that an entity in business to make money would make decisions that would ensure that they are profitable?? Jeebus H Kriesht how naive are people in thinking that the entity would not figure out how to adjust their risks an ensure that they become more profitable....

This is not a competitive market and the insurance companies hold all of the cards, and are dealing besides. Its a one sided game. Did medical insurance suck before? ALL Insurance programs are a suck - and they are all in it to make money.

At least in a market like auto insurance there is lots of competition which allows the buyer to choose what they want and the cost are not over the top (unless you have a bad driving record).
                        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                        Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• just sayin...

If we had stayed on the old path, things would be worse.

That said, we still need to change paths
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Just got my rates for 2017 from my company - $230 per pay check (every 2 weeks, comes to about $500 per month) for me and the wife; $800 deductible; $6,000 max per year. Just over a 3% increase from this year. The company is picking up 65% of the cost which is the same % they cover this year so they split the premium increase with employees.

Comment

• I left my company to go independent last month, and as such have to pay for my own health insurance. My kids are under my wife's plan at work. I can also choose to pay for COBRA for two years.

Here are the costs of my individual insurance:
                              To be added to my wife's plan: $700/mo.
                              To continue on my old company's plan through COBRA: $575/mo.
                              New (and better) insurance through Health Exchange: $350/mo.

Tanks Obama!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                I left my company to go independent last month, and as such have to pay for my own health insurance. My kids are under my wife's plan at work. I can also choose to pay for COBRA for two years.

Here are the costs of my individual insurance:
                                To be added to my wife's plan: $700/mo.
                                To continue on my old company's plan through COBRA: $575/mo.
                                New (and better) insurance through Health Exchange: $350/mo.

Tanks Obama!
                                Works out well for some folks and not so well for others.

Comment

Working...
                                X