No announcement yet.

Affordable Health Care Law under review by SCOTUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All the uncertainty in DC around the law is creating even more for insurers in the states. GOP has done a great job of killing the supporting funding for ACA and delay in coming up with the replace part of repeal and replace have created more. Yea,it wasn't a perfect law but there have been deliberate actions to undercut it to demonize it and replace it the current wealthcare bullshit they're trying to pass behind closed doors.

Single payer, now.

Read this today that nearly 50% of the funding from GoFundMe campaigns is to cover medical costs. -- https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-crowdfunding

In a September 2015 LinkedIn post, Solomon wrote that the one million campaigns set up over the previous year had raised $1 billion from nearly 12 million donors. By February 2016, the total was $2 billion. In October 2016, it was $3 billion, from 25 million donors. A NerdWallet study of medical crowdfunding said GoFundMe had indicated that $930 million of the $2 billion raised in the period the study analyzed was from medical campaigns.
    YouCaring, meanwhile, acquired GiveForward this year; medical fundraisers made up 70 percent of GiveForward's campaigns. The combined companies have 8 million donors who have contributed $800 million to a wide range of campaigns. A big part of that total was donated to medical campaigns, according to the company. It was approaching 50 percent of all fundraisers at YouCaring before the acquisition, and the growth rate is set to triple this year, Saper said.

I'm fortunate I have good insurance, yet I'm now $575 in the hole in order to be told I'm likely going to need a shoulder surgery. $80 in appointments and $495 to pay for my share of the doctor-ordered MRI.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      Here is an interesting conundrum.

One insurance provider has a monopoly on a state and still cant make it profitable enough so they want to pull out, or just continue raising rates.

Whats worse is that the individuals of that state are compelled to purchase insurance from them, and now it may become possible that citizens will be out of compliance because no one is compelled to provide them the insurance they are required to have.....
      Reminds me of Florida home insurance after the hurricanes. Everyone had profited madly off the state for years, then when they had to pay up, they left town. That created a Citizens Property Insurance pool in the state that came with high deductibles and crappy coverage compared to previous offerings as they only option for some people to get insurance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post

Single payer, now.
        There are only two answers to this and single payer is one.

The only other option is to take insurance away from a employee benefit. Let businesses decide what they want want to augment employees with for salary and then have every individual purchase their own plan. With that, open the state borders to allow for a larger pool of insurance providers and policies.

I'm a proponent of single-payer...you can't put the genie back the the bottle.
        "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
        - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
        - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Another example of how well the government runs programs.
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post

The only other option is to take insurance away from a employee benefit. Let businesses decide what they want want to augment employees with for salary and then have every individual purchase their own plan. With that, open the state borders to allow for a larger pool of insurance providers and policies.

California is moving toward a single payer system for the state, Glad I'm moving back there this Fall...........
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Another example of how well the government runs programs.
              Not entirely fair, if congress would get their partisan asses out of the way and enact legislation that was best for the people without the constraints of their corporate over;lords and uninformed constituents, National healthcare would have been a reality long ago and working fine.

I could offer Govt programs that work well on every level and private ones that are shit. BUt I get it, you/re against most anything run by the Govt. on your dime and thus, the comment.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Another example of how well the government runs programs.
                No, this is more another example of partisan politics and how utterly out of touch both parties are with the average American. The Democrat's passed something they felt the could passed, they had majorities in both the House and Senate and had the Obama pen to sign it into law. They failed America. Republicans have spent years trying to repeal it, when they could have spent that time talking with someone who knew how to implement something that works, but Mitt Romney was a Republican loser and cast off, so why talk with him about creating something that would work.

Now, Republicans refuse to listen to Americans that see the benefit of the ACA, and they are working on a plan that will hurt more people than help.

People think Bannon wants to break the system...I think the two parties are doing a bang up job already...it's a embarrassing.

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.

Comment

No, this is more another example of partisan politics and how utterly out of touch both parties are with the average American. The Democrat's passed something they felt the could passed, they had majorities in both the House and Senate and had the Obama pen to sign it into law. They failed America. Republicans have spent years trying to repeal it, when they could have spent that time talking with someone who knew how to implement something that works, but Mitt Romney was a Republican loser and cast off, so why talk with him about creating something that would work.

Now, Republicans refuse to listen to Americans that see the benefit of the ACA, and they are working on a plan that will hurt more people than help.

People think Bannon wants to break the system...I think the two parties are doing a bang up job already...it's a embarrassing.
                  see we are like twins !

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Thanks for understanding GITH....

Until we actually get money out of politics (like that will ever happen) big business will continue to own policy making at the highest levels because they will spend more and more on protecting their bottom line.

There are many issues that are stuck due to big money.
                    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                      see we are like twins !
                      Oh sheesh now GITH is my brother.

Comment

see we are like twins !
                        Smart and Smarter.

Comment

Thanks for understanding GITH....

Until we actually get money out of politics (like that will ever happen) big business will continue to own policy making at the highest levels because they will spend more and more on protecting their bottom line.

There are many issues that are stuck due to big money.
                          hey, there's always this guy ... Getting Big Money Out of Politics and Restoring Democracy
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                            Thats funny right there!

Comment

California is moving toward a single payer system for the state, Glad I'm moving back there this Fall...........
                              I'm so excited to find out how they plan to pay for this!
                              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

If you remove it as an employee benefit, then it has to be taxed. It is the way it is due to laws created in the 1950's. There is actually bi-partisan support for doing this, but yet there has been no movement on it.

Opening borders for insurance is not a good solution. Providers would race to the bottom to whichever state would set the most favorable minimums and the fewest mandates. Not to mention, the loss of preferred vendors & medical providers is lost when someone in NY is working off a policy written in Alabama.

Good reads on why this is a bad idea:

In the wake of the failure of the legislative effort to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the fate of another of the president’s health care priorities is unclear. In his first congressional address, President Trump articulated five principles for health care reform. His fifth and last called for giving “Americans the freedom to purchase health insurance across state lines,” a reform that, in his words, would create “a truly competitive national marketplace that will bring cost way down and provide far better care.” This concept was not in the House reconciliation bill (the “American Health Care Act” or AHCA) to repeal and replace key provisions of the ACA, but President Trump may be able to use his regulatory authority to promote the cross-border sales of health insurance.

Comment

Working...
                                X