It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    So you are saying that you didn't have fun at Kong?

Why not?
    Absolutely hated it. I couldn't bring myself to enjoy the fun parts because the rest was so bad. There was no immersion for me at all. At one point Tom 'eyes freakishly too close together' Hiddleston and Samuel 'eyes freakishly too far apart' Jackson almost got into a gunfight. I was hoping beyond hope that they'd kill each other, return balance to the cosmos, and then maybe the movie would just end. No such luck

On the other hand, loved Logan ... that was outstanding. I would say that, if it wasn't for stupid ending with the "isolated lab-rat Mexican kids' looking like they'd jumped straight from the set of a Disney TV show, speaking perfect English and somehow able to fend for themselves in the wilderness ... one of the very best genre movies. Most comic book movies are just vapid money making machines ... this was a proper movie. The chemistry between Logan the kid and Charles Xavier was superb.

I hope they find another quality vehicle for Hugh Jackman soon.
    Last edited by johnnya24; 03-29-2017, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• Saw Life last weekend. I heard it was comparable to Alien. After seeing it the only comparison should be "Life is nowhere as good as Alien". On 2 characters they did a half assed job making you care about them, with the others you didn't care if they lived or died. No suspense, whenever you thought someone was going to die they did. The ending was predictable even though they tried to hide it and make it surprising.

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
        Saw Life last weekend. I heard it was comparable to Alien. After seeing it the only comparison should be "Life is nowhere as good as Alien". On 2 characters they did a half assed job making you care about them, with the others you didn't care if they lived or died. No suspense, whenever you thought someone was going to die they did. The ending was predictable even though they tried to hide it and make it surprising.
        Yeah, pretty much my take on it also. Disappointing. Too many characters, not enough character development. It was like watching a docurama rather than an A-List movie.

Comment

• Johnny, was that you?

(CNN)Will the one person who purchased a ticket to see Shia LaBeouf's new war movie please step forward?

"Man Down" opened in the UK this weekend, and Variety reported that only one ticket was purchased.

The film screened at a single theater, Reel Cinema in Burnley, England, and according to the cross platform measurement company ComScore, raked in £7, or about $8.70.

Comment

• I plan to see "Ghost In The Shell" this week. I'm familiar w the anime and I find the ideas in it fascinating (bionic humans). I dont expect too much from the movie but I feel compelled to see it. I'll let you know what I think of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
              I plan to see "Ghost In The Shell" this week. I'm familiar w the anime and I find the ideas in it fascinating (bionic humans). I dont expect too much from the movie but I feel compelled to see it. I'll let you know what I think of it.
              I liked it, but not amazing. I knew nothing of the anime, so no baggage there. Got the feeling it could have been edited better though, and a lot of the scene transitions felt a bit undercooked ... or things were crammed together a bit too much. With a little more effort and attention to detail it could have been a top movie.

Comment

• Took my daughter to see Kedi at the local college's film festival last night. It follows some street cats through Istanbul, and the people that care for them. Beautiful, sweet film; lovely way to see the city.

people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Johnny, was that you?

(CNN)Will the one person who purchased a ticket to see Shia LaBeouf's new war movie please step forward?

"Man Down" opened in the UK this weekend, and Variety reported that only one ticket was purchased.

The film screened at a single theater, Reel Cinema in Burnley, England, and according to the cross platform measurement company ComScore, raked in £7, or about $8.70.
                  Why would anyone open a movie in Burnley? It's a small working class town 30 miles from Manchester. Maybe if he opened a can of lager he'd get an audience ... but an art movie ... in Burnley? Who thought that was going to be a good idea?

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                    Took my daughter to see Kedi at the local college's film festival last night. It follows some street cats through Istanbul, and the people that care for them. Beautiful, sweet film; lovely way to see the city.

I'm sure my family will go see this as well, as we've all been to Istanbul. I was more stunned by the street dogs though, than the cats
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Finally saw 'Ghost In The Shell' tonite. As I said before, I didnt expect a whole lot from this movie to my taste. Expected a lot of action and special effects, neither of which I'm a big fan of. I liked it more than I was expecting. There were ties into the anime that I appreciated, like the Major's jump from the top of the building, Batou's cyber-eyes, etc. (no tachikoma, tho). Wasnt really so much about the Section 9 group as it was about the Major and about the issues of ethics and human rights in the coming cyber-human, "Singularity" age. I liked this aspect of the plot as it took the movie beyond the standard 'action-film' genre. And a 'happy ending' too as humanity triumphs over corporate greed, exploitation and enslavement.

The net comments I've seen for this film so far have been mostly positive. There is a controversy re: using mostly non-Asian actors for what is a Japanese-created drama. But from what I've heard this criticism is coming mostly from the West, not Asia. The Asian reaction that I've seen doesnt see this as a big issue. And they're mostly fine w Scarlett Johannsen playing the lead role.

Re: the special effects, I'm no good judge but they seemed pretty well-done.

Overall, a very enjoyable movie. It helps if you're already familiar w the anime, but not necessary.

Comment

• Some recents:

Live By Night - enjoyable, forgettable. If you like gangster flicks you'll likely enjoy this one.

The Founder - I was blown away by this one. Most exceelent. Battle of a driven businessman versus two rubes. Guess who wins?

Why Him? - Why was this made? Why did Bryan Cranston decide to go with this one? Why was this on my DVD queue?

Assassin's Creed - yet another video game movie that blew chunks. Has there EVER been a video game adaptation that was any good? According to Metacritic, the answer is no -- and is still no. I gave up midway through.

Patriot's Day
                        - most exceelent account of the horrible 2013 Boston Marathon. I was not aware of much of the events surrounding the pursuit of these two. Couldn't recommend it more.

Passengers - great plot. Very claustrophobic movie. But this is one that gets you thinking long after it's done.

Comment

Assassin's Creed - yet another video game movie that blew chunks. Has there EVER been a video game adaptation that was any good? According to Metacritic, the answer is no -- and is still no. I gave up midway through.
                          [B].

Silent Hill was an excellent horror movie based on a video game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            Silent Hill was an excellent horror movie based on a video game.
                            Well, according to Metacritic it rates 30 out of 100. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 29%. The highest rated video game adaptation on Metacritic is Mortal Kombat (58); and on Rotten Tomatoes it's Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (44%).

Comment

Well, according to Metacritic it rates 30 out of 100. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 29%. The highest rated video game adaptation on Metacritic is Mortal Kombat (58); and on Rotten Tomatoes it's Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (44%).
                              I didn't look it up. As a fan of the Horror Genre I rank it up there. I remember it got good reviews when it came out. Here is one:
                              User Reviews

Fans of the game will enjoy this film!
                              21 April 2006 | by E (Washington, US) – See all my reviews
                              Fans of the game will enjoy this film. Critics should be impressed with the set design, effects and cinematography; but I'm afraid most of them will miss the boat entirely. As far as a game to film translation, this is one of the best ever made.

There are scenes in the film that are direct recreations from the game. Sounds, music, colors and even meticulous set design that pays homage to the game series. In as far as a horror film, there were scenes in this movie that are incomparable. Really disturbing, solid moments of horror.

Pyramid Head is this decade's Pinhead. A new cultural icon to be feared, and loved.

Good movie. Keep an open mind, and enjoy. This is one of those films that actually deserves its R rating. Don't take the kids, unless you're into the whole "terrible parent" thing.

Comment

• Guardians of the Galaxy 2 GotG 1 is one of my favorites to the point I went to a GotG Double Feature opening day to catch Awesome Mix #2. The things I loved about the 1st were there in spades, the soundtrack and humor. The story was a bit thin, but moved the franchise along, kind of like the Pirates of the Caribbean second movie. There are still some solid storylines, and some cool revelations, but it's not on par with the first movie with the exception of the music and offhanded jokes. I'd say it's still worth seeing in the theatre if you're a fan, if not--wait for the DVD.
                                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X