No announcement yet.

It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out Weiner, the documentary of Anthony Weiner's attempted political comeback in the 2013 New York mayoral race. This is no PR puff project. It's an all-access inside look at the talented but flawed political dynamo attempting to return from the disgrace of his infamous 2011 sexting scandal. You see it all completely unvarnished - his passion and drive carry him to an improbable lead in the race, until his relapse into yet another sexting scandal buries him for good. You won't believe what the subject allows you to see. It's shocking to watch him publicly humiliate his wife (and Hillary aide) Huma Abedin over and over to further his ambition, and to see him defiantly lash out at everyone as his campaign crumbles and burns. Weiner is as compelling a portrait of a true narcissist as you'll ever see. A must-see for political junkies... free On Demand now, for you Comcasters.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
      Check out Weiner, the documentary of Anthony Weiner's attempted political comeback in the 2013 New York mayoral race.
      Also, not too coincidentally, the caption that goes with nearly every text he sends.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        Also, not too coincidentally, the caption that goes with nearly every text he sends.
        Have you considered blocking his number ?
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        ---------------------------------------------
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Watched Good Will Hunting again over the weekend
          really good stuff - and my young adult daughter had never seen it and liked it too

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            Have you considered blocking his number ?
            without the TMZ money, I'd have to keep my job.
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• i watched a couple movies.

rogue one. i didn't really know what was going on until the end.

watched underworld blood wars, it was kind of lame. but ok.

and batman vs superman. not a big ben affleck fan but he was good. i was disappointed in how they portrayed lex luther. wonder woman was awesome tho. the music they play when she uses her powers is great. i think im in love with wonder woman. she used everything too, her sword and shield and whips. and the confidence fighting, made you want to look up her powers. i got the impression she could kick batmans ass and hold her own vs superman. kind of like the way captain america held his own vs thor.

Comment

• im gonna give Spectral (2016) a try.

A sci-fi/thriller story centered on a special-ops team that is dispatched to fight supernatural beings..

sounds like the movie pulse, only this time the humans fight back? i dunno. gozer was very big in sumeria.

Comment

• We watched Christmas Story with my 5 year old Grandson for the first time. He really enjoyed but did not understand why anyone would want a BB gun that bad. He also was very worried about the shooting your eye out scene in the back yard. He talked about that scene for about 10 minutes after the movie.

Family had a great time.

Comment

• Empire > Star Wars ...... > Rogue One > Jedi ....... Prequels > Force Awakens

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      Empire > Star Wars ...... > Rogue One > Jedi ....... Prequels > Force Awakens
                      So you're saying Force Awakens is the worst of the group?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                        So you're saying Force Awakens is the worst of the group?
                        Yeah. Well ... in my opinion. Both the Prequels and Force Awakens are pretty bad movies. At least the prequels had a very solid and interesting overarching story to back them up ... despite the corny dialogue, acting and Jar Jar. Once the nostalgia of The Force Awakens dissipates, there is nothing there. It's a terrible movie that makes no sense ... but with some nice characters and humour. I thought that Rogue One found that nice balance between solid story that ties in nicely with the overall saga (what the prequels did well), and well conceived characters with depth and humour (what The Force Awakens did well).

Comment

• Haven't been in this thread in a while (let alone the Sports Bar) so here are my thoughts on a few flicks:

Magnificent Seven - watched this with my parents over the holiday weekend and came away somewhat underwhelmed. The action's just fine - although movies with this size body count always seem a little extra far-fetched - but the story's not all that interesting. It falls in line with the classic spaghetti westerns, but that doesn't really cut it anymore.

Green Room and Blue Ruin - I'll group these together since they're by the same writer/director. Green Room is probably the one you've heard of - a thriller featuring a punk band who gets caught up in a murder at a music venue and try to survive/escape that came out earlier this year - but Blue Ruin is actually the superior film. Both are tension-filled and violent but Blue Ruin has more atmosphere and a more unique plot. I recommend them both though - they're free on Amazon Video if you have a Prime membership.

Arrival - didn't quite get the ending at first but when it was explained to me it increased my appreciation a bit. Definitely a thinking man's sci-fi movie although there are some nice effects and some great atmosphere. I don't think it was quite as profound as some are making it out to be but it was enjoyable regardless.

Night Owls - interesting little indie comedy/drama which literally only has 5 actors in it and only 2 of them (Adam Pally of Happy Endings fame and Rosa Salazar who I'd never heard of) for 90% of the film. The plot revolves around the two main characters drunkenly hooking up but things go south soon after when the girl tries to commit suicide by taking a bottle of pills. Luckily Pally catches her in time but to keep her safe he has to keep her up all night (hence, night owls). This leads to them getting to know each other, blah blah blah, but it doesn't devolve into cliche and actually features some smart dialogue. You can find it on Netflix.

Comment

• The Edge of Seventeen - I really liked this movie - very well written and convincing job by Haley Steinfeld as a goofy 17 year old kid - pretty good glimpse into the worries and ways they are thinking at that age
                            My wife and 22 year old daughter liked it too

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                              The Edge of Seventeen - I really liked this movie - very well written and convincing job by Haley Steinfeld as a goofy 17 year old kid - pretty good glimpse into the worries and ways they are thinking at that age
                              My wife and 22 year old daughter liked it too
                              It was a little overhyped IMO. Still a good movie, but not in the same class as the other coming of age movies it was being compared to. I think I would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't sold as the 'the greatest coming of age movie in a generation' BS. Woody Harelson was great as usual.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                                It was a little overhyped IMO. Still a good movie, but not in the same class as the other coming of age movies it was being compared to. I think I would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't sold as the 'the greatest coming of age movie in a generation' BS. Woody Harelson was great as usual.
                                what's weird here is that is was undersold - there wasnt enough hype and it came and went from the theaters quite quickly and went pretty unnoticed.

Comment

Working...
                                X