It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
    I haven't been to the theater in years. I usually wait for the dvd. But, i'm seriously considering going to see this one.
    Alamo draft houses for the win
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - very mediocre. I'm amazed that this movie is getting so much attention. Ridiculous characters, absurd coincidence everywhere, intentional farcical humour (they decided to play this as a farce????), some terrible acting and scripting ... sure also some fine acting ... but fine acting of ridiculous characters that make no sense. Sam Rockwell's character was so stupid, and the performance was seriously over hammed ... he should be a front runner for a Razzie (as should the script writers) not an Oscar.

If I didn't see the media praise for this movie I'd think ... "meh ... not bad ... bizarre ... but would not recommend". In the context of the overwhelmingly gushing response, it's a bad movie completely undeserving of any award IMO (except Golden Raspberry's).

Contrasting this with Hostiles ... night and day.
      This trash cleaned up at the BAFTA's last night.

I don't understand anything anymore

Comment

• The Shape of Water

I get the impression that Guillermo Del Toro had a bet that he couldn't win an Oscar with a B-movie involving big rubber monsters, bestiality, masturbation, torture, decapitation, murder and self mutilation

Ingredients:

- A dash of musical theatre, with regular allusions to Oscar bait musicals
        - Classical 50's setting constantly referencing the Goldern Era of cinema
        - Shoes ... ladies loves shoes
        - Appeal to well worn Oscar bait topics such as homophobia and racism.

Slow cook for 2 hours, adding your big rubber monsters, bestiality, masturbation, torture, decapitation, murder and self mutilation ... slowly stirring as you add.

Would be brilliant if this cajoled its way into the best picture prize.
        Last edited by johnnya24; 02-20-2018, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• My Family and I went to see The Greatest Showman on Sunday.

I am not very big on musicals so i wasn't expecting much. I also read no reviews prior to going.

We all enjoyed it. I was surprised on how much fun it was. I thought the dancing was impressive. The movie took a lot of liberties with history. I was ok with that. This was supposed to entertain and it did a great job of that.

We read a few reviews afterwards. Seems audiences liked it more than critics.

Sometimes it is just good to walk out of a movie with a smile on my face and not have to overthink it. This movie made me smile.

I have to admit I did a little reading about PT Barnum yesterday. I think I am going to have to read his autobiography in the near future. Very interesting character.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            My Family and I went to see The Greatest Showman on Sunday.

I am not very big on musicals so i wasn't expecting much. I also read no reviews prior to going.

We all enjoyed it. I was surprised on how much fun it was. I thought the dancing was impressive. The movie took a lot of liberties with history. I was ok with that. This was supposed to entertain and it did a great job of that.

We read a few reviews afterwards. Seems audiences liked it more than critics.

Sometimes it is just good to walk out of a movie with a smile on my face and not have to overthink it. This movie made me smile.

I have to admit I did a little reading about PT Barnum yesterday. I think I am going to have to read his autobiography in the near future. Very interesting character.
            speaking of musicals, I've been wanting to watch La La Land for a while now ...

Comment

• Took the kids to see Black Panther this past weekend, like I'm sure everyone else in America did. I'd give it four out of five stars. It was very good, but I didn't think it was the epic masterpiece everyone is making it out to be. In terms of the Marvel Universe canon, I'd probably put it as about the 6th or 7th best.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                Took the kids to see Black Panther this past weekend, like I'm sure everyone else in America did. I'd give it four out of five stars. It was very good, but I didn't think it was the epic masterpiece everyone is making it out to be. In terms of the Marvel Universe canon, I'd probably put it as about the 6th or 7th best.
                I'm looking for an excuse not to go and see it. Thanks

Comment

• This trailer makes this movie look so much more interesting!

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Took the kids to see Black Panther this past weekend, like I'm sure everyone else in America did. I'd give it four out of five stars. It was very good, but I didn't think it was the epic masterpiece everyone is making it out to be. In terms of the Marvel Universe canon, I'd probably put it as about the 6th or 7th best.
                    Agree, and I might even go 3.5 stars.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• needed something brainless the other day and went to see Jumangi... and really enjoyed it. Very good stuff for what it was.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• if you have read the book, Annilation, is distinctly NOT EXCELLENT

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                          if you have read the book, Annilation, is distinctly NOT EXCELLENT
                          Alex Garland is on the case so there is hope, and some promising sounds from the early reviews (trying to avoid reading actual reviews). Anyway, it's the kind of movie I will see unless it's universally panned and ridiculed.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            needed something brainless the other day and went to see Jumangi... and really enjoyed it. Very good stuff for what it was.
                            This. I really enjoyed it.
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                              Alex Garland is on the case so there is hope, and some promising sounds from the early reviews (trying to avoid reading actual reviews). Anyway, it's the kind of movie I will see unless it's universally panned and ridiculed.
                              it is a pretty movie, and it is a somewhat interesting movie, it just isn't the book.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                                it is a pretty movie, and it is a somewhat interesting movie, it just isn't the book.....
                                I misread your comment ... I thought you were panning the book.

Comment

Working...
                                X