No announcement yet.

It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recently saw Lion. I liked it. My wife bawled like a baby.

Hidden Figures drew my attention to the use of human computers by NASA, which I had no idea existed.
    "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
    "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
    WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
    PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

• Saw Logan today - really exceelent. It lives up to the hype. But don't bring the little ones.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• So I just finished seeing the last of all the Oscar nominated films for Best Picture.

There's no doubt in my mind that Moonlight was by far the best film of the bunch. La La Land was good and I can see why the Academy voters were drawn to it, but it wasn't even the second best film IMO. Lion was excellent as well, but not in the same class as Moonlight. Manchester was so damn bleak, but I couldn't stop watching. Affleck was tremendous. Fences, I had issues with the rhythm in which the dialogue was spoken. It reall seemed like they were acting it as if they were on stage (being adapted from the play I can see how that would happen). It made it hard to watch for me. The rest were solid films all around with Arrival being the most thought provoking of the remaining bunch.

Again, I could go on for days about Moonlight I found it that good.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          Saw Logan today - really exceelent. It lives up to the hype. But don't bring the little ones.
          best X-men movie by far, top 3 superhero movie for sure
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            So I just finished seeing the last of all the Oscar nominated films for Best Picture.

There's no doubt in my mind that Moonlight was by far the best film of the bunch. La La Land was good and I can see why the Academy voters were drawn to it, but it wasn't even the second best film IMO. Lion was excellent as well, but not in the same class as Moonlight. Manchester was so damn bleak, but I couldn't stop watching. Affleck was tremendous. Fences, I had issues with the rhythm in which the dialogue was spoken. It reall seemed like they were acting it as if they were on stage (being adapted from the play I can see how that would happen). It made it hard to watch for me. The rest were solid films all around with Arrival being the most thought provoking of the remaining bunch.

Again, I could go on for days about Moonlight I found it that good.
            you should read the short story it is based on, and the other stories in the collection "Story of Your Life and Others" by Ted Chiang, if you enjoyed Arrival
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Saw Get Out and Skull Island this weekend.

Both were very good and worth the time and money invested.

Can't say anything about Get Out without potential spoiling. I did enjoy it, but not as much as the Critics. While I am glad I went, this is one I do not need to see again. This is because I know the ending and not a typical scary or horror movie.

Skull Island was a fun ride and I will watch it again. It did have some continuity issues, but it was a blast if you can view it without too critical of an eye for such things.

It takes place in 1973. The political, war, and music references added to the fun. Kong is one big monkey as he should be. This Kong is the second largest in the history of Kong movies at 104 feet tall.

Had a few laughs, jumped out of my seat once or twice and found myself smiling through out the movie.

Comment

• GitH inspired me to give me totally worthless ranking of the Best Picture candidates that I've seen so far:

1. Hell or High Water - I knew there was no chance it would win and the simplistic nature of its plot would've made it a bad historical winner, but I loved this movie. It's a modern western incorporating all the anti-hero tropes we've grown to love and all the main performances were top-notch, leading to a purely enjoyable experience of which I did not find elsewhere in 2016.

2. Moonlight - it wasn't like I came out of the theater thinking this was a groundbreaking film but the more I thought about it, its importance stuck with me and I ended up believing it could upset La La Land (which it did...eventually). I really liked how they split it up over three distinct time periods, spotlighting the troubles of a young black man at different stages of development and the struggles that come with them.

3. Manchester by the Sea - bleak, but I really don't care. For me, movies are just a way of peering into the minds of whatever characters are put in front of me and this masshole was easy to hate/love with all the shit that came along with it. It seemed that Affleck wasn't stretching his range super far here since he's always somewhat one-note but it just so happened that he had the experience living in New England to really bring the role to life.

4. La La Land - it was definitely fun. Musicals have never really been my thing but this one had a more relatable plot, albeit one that wasn't wholly original. Luckily this didn't get The Artist treatment from the Academy but it's encouraging that another genre that has mostly been missing from movies lately could produce a film with plenty of merit.

5. Arrival - so it's sci-fi in the sense that there are aliens, but this is mostly the story of Amy Adams's character and her obsession with her work which is contrasted with a seemingly tragic family event that happened in the past. Time-travel movies frustrate my analytical mind so I didn't have the best impression when leaving the theater, but upon reflection this was still an enjoyable movie with fine performances and a thought-provoking plot.

Comment

• Flipped a coin between Kong and Logan ... landed on Kong ... really bad luck. Kong is a Grade A stinker of a movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                    GitH inspired me to give me totally worthless ranking of the Best Picture candidates that I've seen so far:

1. Hell or High Water - I knew there was no chance it would win and the simplistic nature of its plot would've made it a bad historical winner, but I loved this movie. It's a modern western incorporating all the anti-hero tropes we've grown to love and all the main performances were top-notch, leading to a purely enjoyable experience of which I did not find elsewhere in 2016.

2. Moonlight - it wasn't like I came out of the theater thinking this was a groundbreaking film but the more I thought about it, its importance stuck with me and I ended up believing it could upset La La Land (which it did...eventually). I really liked how they split it up over three distinct time periods, spotlighting the troubles of a young black man at different stages of development and the struggles that come with them.

3. Manchester by the Sea - bleak, but I really don't care. For me, movies are just a way of peering into the minds of whatever characters are put in front of me and this masshole was easy to hate/love with all the shit that came along with it. It seemed that Affleck wasn't stretching his range super far here since he's always somewhat one-note but it just so happened that he had the experience living in New England to really bring the role to life.

4. La La Land - it was definitely fun. Musicals have never really been my thing but this one had a more relatable plot, albeit one that wasn't wholly original. Luckily this didn't get The Artist treatment from the Academy but it's encouraging that another genre that has mostly been missing from movies lately could produce a film with plenty of merit.

5. Arrival - so it's sci-fi in the sense that there are aliens, but this is mostly the story of Amy Adams's character and her obsession with her work which is contrasted with a seemingly tragic family event that happened in the past. Time-travel movies frustrate my analytical mind so I didn't have the best impression when leaving the theater, but upon reflection this was still an enjoyable movie with fine performances and a thought-provoking plot.
                    I loved Hell or High Water too, it just didn't have the juice a film needs to win. The thing that impressed me most about moonlight was the consistency of character maintained throughout the different time references. I really loved watching the subtleties carried over from actor to actor portraying each character.

FWIW, I just watched Logan. I really enjoyed it though it made me very sad...........
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      Flipped a coin between Kong and Logan ... landed on Kong ... really bad luck. Kong is a Grade A stinker of a movie.
                      I'm going to see Kong tonight.....go see Logan, it is great

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                        I'm going to see Kong tonight.....go see Logan, it is great
                        Leave your brain at home ... or get very drunk.

Comment

Leave your brain at home ... or get very drunk.
                          Brie Lawson has a beautiful rack...

Comment

Flipped a coin between Kong and Logan ... landed on Kong ... really bad luck. Kong is a Grade A stinker of a movie.
                            So you are saying that you didn't have fun at Kong?

Why not?
                            Last edited by Gregg; 03-17-2017, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Fresno Bob;275953]Brie Lawson has a beautiful rack...[/QUOTE

Rotten Tomatoes =79%

Critics Consensus: Offering exhilarating eye candy, solid acting, and a fast-paced story, Kong: Skull Island earns its spot in the movie monster's mythos without ever matching up to the classic original.

Audience Score=76%

As we were walking out my wife says the chick looks like your old girlfriend.

Comment

Huh....took the kids to see Kong today, and thought it was great fun. The CGI was very impressive, as was Brie Larson's breastages.

Comment

Working...
                                X