X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
    good tweet ...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">After this is all over, I never, ever want to hear again about how businessmen would run the government better than politicians.</p>— Anne Applebaum (@anneapplebaum) <a href="https://twitter.com/anneapplebaum/status/832334327874801668?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 16, 2017</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    Agreed. Government/governing experience matters. I hate how so many people seem to have come to view government experience as a negative. Before stepping into a very high level federal government office, it makes sense to have some meaningful government/governing experience at the local, state and/or federal level, whether as an elected or an appointed official.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
      good tweet ...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">After this is all over, I never, ever want to hear again about how businessmen would run the government better than politicians.</p>— Anne Applebaum (@anneapplebaum) <a href="https://twitter.com/anneapplebaum/status/832334327874801668?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 16, 2017</a></blockquote>
      <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
      Are ALL businessmen like Trump though?
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        Are ALL businessmen like Trump though?
        No. I think Mike Bloomberg was pretty effective as Mayor of NYC. But if he were to now run for president, he'd have the experience of three terms running the nation's largest city. I think people from lots of different backgrounds can get into and succeed in politics/government, but their first government job shouldn't be US President.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
          I think people from lots of different backgrounds can get into and succeed in politics/government, but their first government job shouldn't be US President.
          I honestly don't know how any reasonable person could disagree with this sentiment. Even a Trump fan must admit that he has made many mistakes due to his utter lack of experience in government. Even if you think he is a great president, surely, it must be admitted, he would have been better had he some prior experience in the field.

Comment

• Those on the right, or right leaning folks--what do you think of Pompeo replacing Tillerson? What will this mean in terms of potential shifts in policy regarding China, N. Korea, middle east, etc?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              Those on the right, or right leaning folks--what do you think of Pompeo replacing Tillerson? What will this mean in terms of potential shifts in policy regarding China, N. Korea, middle east, etc?
              I can't speak to that but I suspect that the creators of Homeland might be rethinking their decision to make season 8 the final one.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                Those on the right, or right leaning folks--what do you think of Pompeo replacing Tillerson? What will this mean in terms of potential shifts in policy regarding China, N. Korea, middle east, etc?
                I'm a little more concerned about the new director of the CIA having run a secret prison in Thailand where prisoners were tortured...of course Pompeo was certainly aware of it too, so it's probably a net wash.

In the End, I think that Trump erratically drives US foreign policy, so I'm not too sure that it matters who's in the Secretary seat. The one good thing is that pompeo is a government professional, so maybe some of those empty chairs at State start to get filled.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

• This race in PA is insane.

Comment

I think people from lots of different backgrounds can get into and succeed in politics/government, but their first government job shouldn't be US President.
                    Y'all remember that when Oprah and Weaselface Zuckerberg come calling, OK?
                    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                      Y'all remember that when Oprah and Weaselface Zuckerberg come calling, OK?
                      Yes, I really, truly hope the Democrats won't follow the Republicans down this celebrity-for-president wormhole. If one truly doesn't trust elected politicians, look to folks with deep experience in non-elected government service, such as generals, judges, prosecutors, cabinet secretaries (Steven Chu, anyone?), even school district superintendents - who have had to perform public duties in a governmental context, with all of its constitutional, statutory and regulatory complexities, public oversight and constituent interests.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        I'm in a Trump tweet from Monday, so there's that.
                        Ya should have mean mugged him. Could have gone viral!

Disclaimer: I know Altuve has debunked the idea that he intended to do that, but it still made for some pretty funny comments. I'm all for anything that brings attention to the awesomeness that is Jose Altuve.
                        Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-14-2018, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• Remember when Trump was talking throughout the campaign about how he should be the President because he "makes the best deals"? Does anybody not believe he had a deal with Russia at this point? He's exceedingly, unbelievably stupid and transparent, and I believe the great deal-making he was referring to was the deal with the Russians. He fired Tillerson less than 24 hours after Tillerson spoke out about the UK poisoning incident and Russian interference. This is all so obvious.

I still have doubts that Trump will see a jail cell, but this song makes me smile. I hope we get something close to the story in this song.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0TXPwZl1OhE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                            Remember when Trump was talking throughout the campaign about how he should be the President because he "makes the best deals"? Does anybody not believe he had a deal with Russia at this point? He's exceedingly, unbelievably stupid and transparent, and I believe the great deal-making he was referring to was the deal with the Russians. He fired Tillerson less than 24 hours after Tillerson spoke out about the UK poisoning incident and Russian interference. This is all so obvious.

I still have doubts that Trump will see a jail cell, but this song makes me smile. I hope we get something close to the story in this song.
                            My understanding of the timeline is that Tillerson was made aware of the president's decision to fire him *before* Tillerson spoke out about the UK poisoning incident and Russian interference, and that many are perceiving it as a "parting shot" by Tillerson. To me the biggest red flag was the Trump campaigns efforts to change the GOP platform on the Ukraine prior to the election, whereas the otherwise hardly seemed to give a damn about the official party platform.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve
                              I think Mandy and I are running in 2020. Are we celebrities?
                              Midnight Otter is the celebrity. You're just the mild mannered liquidator of a comic book store. I'm as yet unaware of Mandy's origins or exploits.

Comment

Midnight Otter is the celebrity. You're just the mild mannered liquidator of a comic book store. I'm as yet unaware of Mandy's origins or exploits.
                                you need to catch up on this thread then...

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                                X