This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    I'm not as politically informed as most of you. Do none of these count as good?

https://washingtonmonthly.com/magazi...complishments/
    To Republicans, more than half are negatives. For example 46. Recognized the Dangers of Carbon Dioxide. It's no coincidence that the EPA is in the process of reversing this policy. The first two on the list are hard core bad things--ACA and Stimulus. 4. Ended the War in Iraq. Ending Iraq the way he did spawned ISIS. 21. Tightened Sanctions on Iran. The Iran treaty is open capitulation. 25. Protected Two Liberal Seats on the U.S. Supreme Court. Liberal is bad.

Others are simply wrong, eg 41. Avoided Scandal. He was not called out for a scandal, which is not the same as none occurred. Note the standard. It was that the word scandal did not appear on the front page of the Washington Post. 13. Improved America’s Image Abroad. The American image is weak and vacillating. 15. Created Race to the Top. Pure pork that did nothing.

They are not wrong about a lot of this. ACA is a disaster. Stimulus was pork barrel payoffs. ISIS is largely our fault. Arab Spring did not help our foreign relations. Many things are broken down into pieces to get more lines of accomplishments. For example, there are four lines directly from the Stimulus packages, net contribution dubious. Others are omitted. Stonewalled Dakota Access and Keystone XL pipelines. Greatly expanded fracking for oil and gas production. Over 1000 lower level seats flipped over to the Republicans.

There is a reason why the first ten items are not new legislation--Barack Obama was not a good President. His only legislative achievement is ACA, which is an outright disaster. More than 80% Stimulus monies were paid to companies that no longer exist. If anything his foreign policy record is worse, with the Iran "treaty" black eye in point.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      To Republicans, more than half are negatives. For example 46. Recognized the Dangers of Carbon Dioxide. It's no coincidence that the EPA is in the process of reversing this policy. The first two on the list are hard core bad things--ACA and Stimulus. 4. Ended the War in Iraq. Ending Iraq the way he did spawned ISIS. 21. Tightened Sanctions on Iran. The Iran treaty is open capitulation. 25. Protected Two Liberal Seats on the U.S. Supreme Court. Liberal is bad.

Others are simply wrong, eg 41. Avoided Scandal. He was not called out for a scandal, which is not the same as none occurred. Note the standard. It was that the word scandal did not appear on the front page of the Washington Post. 13. Improved America’s Image Abroad. The American image is weak and vacillating. 15. Created Race to the Top. Pure pork that did nothing.

They are not wrong about a lot of this. ACA is a disaster. Stimulus was pork barrel payoffs. ISIS is largely our fault. Arab Spring did not help our foreign relations. Many things are broken down into pieces to get more lines of accomplishments. For example, there are four lines directly from the Stimulus packages, net contribution dubious. Others are omitted. Stonewalled Dakota Access and Keystone XL pipelines. Greatly expanded fracking for oil and gas production. Over 1000 lower level seats flipped over to the Republicans.

There is a reason why the first ten items are not new legislation--Barack Obama was not a good President. His only legislative achievement is ACA, which is an outright disaster. More than 80% Stimulus monies were paid to companies that no longer exist. If anything his foreign policy record is worse, with the Iran "treaty" black eye in point.

J
      Ok. So Obama sucked. Trump is even worse. W was a complete failure. 21st century not looking so good President-wise
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

There is a reason why the first ten items are not new legislation--Barack Obama was not a good President. His only legislative achievement is ACA, which is an outright disaster.

J
        You continue to hurt your credibility with unsupported and factually wrong statements like this. I'd happily engage those who want to argue his other legislative achievements are good or bad, and I'd concede some as more bad than good, even, but to claim he had none is totally false, and very easily proven to be so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          Ok. So Obama sucked. Trump is even worse. W was a complete failure. 21st century not looking so good President-wise
          Not sucked. He was a .245 hitter with no power and weak defense but useful speed. A one trick pony.

No arguments about Trump, though his demise is greatly overstated.

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          You continue to hurt your credibility with unsupported and factually wrong statements like this. I'd happily engage those who want to argue his other legislative achievements are good or bad, and I'd concede some as more bad than good, even, but to claim he had none is totally false, and very easily proven to be so.
          How so? Both Bush and Clinton could run out a list of things they passed. Obama only has ACA and it's a dud.

Go back to the 50 things in the list. Which is a new law?

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

J
            I refuse to argue with anyone who claims that Obama spawned ISIS. Even Hugh Hewitt didn't believe that horseshit. Any further discourse is meaningless.
            If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• I really struggle to understand all the bashing of former presidents when we currently have the most vile, morally bankrupt clueless elitist to ever even consider running for office. Bush, Obama, Clinton and every other president that we have ever had is light years ahead of the scum currently occupying the oval office. We as a country should be embarrassed of what we have rolled out there.

Comment

Not sucked. He was a .245 hitter with no power and weak defense but useful speed. A one trick pony.

No arguments about Trump, though his demise is greatly overstated.

How so? Both Bush and Clinton could run out a list of things they passed. Obama only has ACA and it's a dud.

Go back to the 50 things in the list. Which is a new law?

J
                If your entire knowledge of Obama's presidency is that incomplete and admittedly bias list, you are just proving my point again about your credibility. You can see a list of Obama's major acts and legislations on his wikipedia page, and other more credible sources if you wish to learn about them. I won't list them all here, but here are some: the ARRA, several budget acts, the consumer protection act, the credit card act, etc. And yes, many things on that initial list required legislative action, including the auto bail out, which Republicans were against, and proved to be very beneficial to the American auto industry. We can debate that point, but to deny that and many other accomplishments by Obama is revisionist history or ignorance.
                Last edited by Sour Masher; 12-12-2017, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  If your entire knowledge of Obama's presidency is that incomplete and admittedly bias list, you are just proving my point again about your credibility. You can see a list of Obama's major acts and legislations on his wikipedia page, and other more credible sources if you wish to learn about them. I won't list them all here. And yes, that list does include several things that required the legislative branch. The auto bail out, the ARRA, several budget acts, the consumer protection act, the credit card act, etc.
                  Also net neutrality which is likely gutted soon by our clueless leader.

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                    I really struggle to understand all the bashing of former presidents when we currently have the most vile, morally bankrupt clueless elitist to ever even consider running for office. Bush, Obama, Clinton and every other president that we have ever had is light years ahead of the scum currently occupying the oval office. We as a country should be embarrassed of what we have rolled out there.
                    I agree 1000%. I let myself fall for a distraction tactic and go off topic in a thread about Trump in responding to J's false claim that Obama accomplished nothing as president legislatively, accept for the ACA.

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                      Also net neutrality which is likely gutted soon by our clueless leader.
                      Yeah, I didn't include it, because cardboardbox admitted to that being the one good thing Obama did while in office. I don't want to go further down this road, but if a republican had been in office when Bin Laden final got taken out, I'm pretty sure everyone maligning Obama as accomplishing nothing would count that as a victory for the republican president.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        I don't want to go further down this road, but if a republican had been in office when Bin Laden final got taken out, I'm pretty sure everyone maligning Obama as accomplishing nothing would count that as a victory for the republican president.
                        He wouldn't have gotten taken out by Trump unless he couldn't give up something useful. If he could have provided anything to our current leader...he'd still be a player. While I'm not a big Hillary guy...to call her crooked Hillary is the ultimate pot-kettle thing.

Comment

• CNN just called it for Jones. There is still hope in the world!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            CNN just called it for Jones. There is still hope in the world!
                            hopefully a wake up call to the GOP that when you nominate the worst possible candidate possible, bad things happen. Not holding my breath though. Bannon will tell us soon why none of this is his fault.
                            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                              hopefully a wake up call to the GOP that when you nominate the worst possible candidate possible, bad things happen. Not holding my breath though. Bannon will tell us soon why none of this is his fault.
                              CBB, 11/10/20: hopefully a wake up call to the GOP that when you nominate the worst possible candidate possible, bad things happen. Not holding my breath though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                                I refuse to argue with anyone who claims that Obama spawned ISIS. Even Hugh Hewitt didn't believe that horseshit. Any further discourse is meaningless.
                                I did not say Obama spawned ISIS. We could have prevented ISIS, which is a very different statement.

The force was on hand. The warning signs were properly read. It's easy to say that all we needed to do is heed the warnings. Even though that is true, it's a hard thing, because it means leaving the troops in place far longer than we want to. It would be a politically unpopular decision. All that is true, but it could have been done and it wasn't.

Jones won (Moore lost) in Alabama, so we have a Democrat Senator next year--51-49.

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                                Hillary Clinton. Nothing more is necessary. Democrats could have had the White House.

Have you seen the hopefuls for 2020? It's grim.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                                X