This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
    We're going to see this a lot, I think. He'll shoot from the hip with some crazy idea, monitor the ensuing sh!tstorm, and then walk it back, modify it, or go forward based on the reaction form the public and his party. What a way to govern!
    Cue the Benny Hill theme!

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
      We're going to see this a lot, I think. He'll shoot from the hip with some crazy idea, monitor the ensuing sh!tstorm, and then walk it back, modify it, or go forward based on the reaction form the public and his party. What a way to govern!
      I honestly don't think that he's savvy enough to walk anything back or modify it. He'll just get angry and tweet out a shitstorm like a petulant child. I honestly don't think that he cares a bit about Congress, unless they defy him. And other than his base, which is shrinking, he doesn't care about how the public is affected.

The ABC interview was at points both astonishing and terrifying...he compared the ovation that he got at the CIA to a standing O that Payton Manning received...somewhere. Wacky at best...
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
        how? A joke that was making the rounds on the web yesterday? A funny picture? Occasionally pointing out the lunacy on the left?
        CBB, no, your joke was funny. Was it necessary, eh? But by comparison to some of the .gif .jpegs etc. that others have posted that weren't objected to, renders it hardly offensive and certainly not "ass hole" labeling worthy. As Chance suggested, you happen to be in the minority and the majority has long ruled this board with harsh criticism of opposing thought. And, now they're seemingly rather upset with the current reality of being the new opposition party. If one of us from the Minority side would've dared to use derogatory term for the former Preident, whether really derogatory or not, we were quickly called, labeled or otherwise assigned as being one of many -ists, -holes, trolls or such. Now we are perfectly comfortable using snowflake, Cheeto, questioning all aspects of sanity, etc.

I'm sure others have as well but I have gotten a couple emails asking me to come back to the Board because the baseball season is upon us. I suspect many, like me, are older now and come not for fantasy sports but for the Sports Bar. I enjoy reading and learning from varying perspectives. This board can be and has been a good place to do just that. But I wish we could create a space that is a true discussion, without the weaknesss of calling names, either to each other or about the people in the topic matter. I'm not a trump guy and frankly he scares me to death because as some have suggested he is unpredictable and seemingly driven by ratings and is thin skinned. But as a citizen, he is our President. In a real community, everyone contributes, even if they're just the town drunk!
        I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
          Since I don't follow politics closely I have an honest question - what actions/policies did Obama enact that have so many people ecstatic that he's no longer in office? And what changes do they hope Trump will make that will positively affect their lives?
          One area is the over reaction of dramatically increasing regulation of the Banking industry, as if the industry is binary. All banks are not the same. A small rural community bank looks and acts nothing like Goldman Sachs or Chase. But that bank provides an absolutely critical service that would be unavailable to the local community by financing small business, Agriculture, education, housing and development, and other social and financial needs. The CFPB was the brainchild of Dodd Frank and is in and of itself abusive and overzealous. I can go in for hours about this but will just leave it at this. The Smaller commercial banks and thrifts did not cause the crisis and remain an essential cog in productivity and job growth throughout the country. And as a result of the overzealous regulation they are in fact the most harshly regulated and quickly becoming an endangered species.

To answer the second part of your question why do I believe Trump will fix it. I don't necessarily believe that Trump will fix it but I do believe that there is a possibility that through his general thoughts on rolling back Obama regulations that the Senate and House will muster enough support to assist the banking industry and that they recognize the need to roll back the broader reach of the CFPB. Further, they seemingly understands that the community bank is still necessary and should not be regulated in the same manner in which much larger regional and national players are regulated. As an industry, we believe Republican House and Senate are significantly more favorable to our cause than the democratically controlled houses of the past.
          Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 01-27-2017, 09:57 AM. Reason: Answering second part of question.
          I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            I should've quoted this in my last reply, because I am in agreement with your criticisms of Obama on these issues. But how is he 'left-wing'? He's been basically a moderate Republican on many issues.
            Oops. I quoted the wrong quote. This is in response to the quote shred you asked why republicans hate Obama.

I think this may be a generalization. I know many people who identify as Republicans or conservatives that did not "hate" Obama. We simply didn't agree with many of his policies or the manner in which he pushed some of them forward. In general, I think many of us respected him, even in our disagreement, as he had a certain civility and integrity that was unmistakable and appropriate. I am willing to admit that I felt that he always conducted himself as "Presidential", and I hope that our new President will use Obama and others as examples in his own conduct. A guy can hope, can't be?
            Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 01-27-2017, 10:50 AM.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post

I'm sure others have as well but I have gotten a couple emails asking me to come back to the Board because the baseball season is upon us. I suspect many, like me, are older now and come not for fantasy sports but for the Sports Bar. I enjoy reading and learning from varying perspectives. This board can be and has been a good place to do just that. But I wish we could create a space that is a true discussion, without the weaknesss of calling names, either to each other or about the people in the topic matter. I'm not a trump guy and frankly he scares me to death because as some have suggested he is unpredictable and seemingly driven by ratings and is thin skinned. But as a citizen, he is our President. In a real community, everyone contributes, even if they're just the town drunk!
              I'm glad my email worked! Welcome back!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                I'm glad my email worked! Welcome back!

I never really left, I just kept my comments to myself as the Sports Bar political threads got a little rough towards Election Day.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Oops. I quoted the wrong quote. This is in response to the quote shred you asked why republicans hate Obama.

I think this may be a generalization. I know many people who identify as Republicans or conservatives that did not "hate" Obama. We simply didn't agree with many of his policies or the manner in which he pushed some of them forward. In general, I think many of us respected him, even in our disagreement, as he had a certain civility and integrity that was unmistakable and appropriate. I am willing to admit that I felt that he always conducted himself as "Presidential", and I hope that our new President will use Obama and others as examples in his own conduct. A guy can hope, can't be?
                  Interesting, because I think Obama has been the most disrespected candidate in my lifetime, by both the opposition party and their supporters.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

One area is the over reaction of dramatically increasing regulation of the Banking industry, as if the industry is binary. All banks are not the same. A small rural community bank looks and acts nothing like Goldman Sachs or Chase. But that bank provides an absolutely critical service that would be unavailable to the local community by financing small business, Agriculture, education, housing and development, and other social and financial needs. The CFPB was the brainchild of Dodd Frank and is in and of itself abusive and overzealous. I can go in for hours about this but will just leave it at this. The Smaller commercial banks and thrifts did not cause the crisis and remain an essential cog in productivity and job growth throughout the country. And as a result of the overzealous regulation they are in fact the most harshly regulated and quickly becoming an endangered species.

To answer the second part of your question why do I believe Trump will fix it. I don't necessarily believe that Trump will fix it but I do believe that there is a possibility that through his general thoughts on rolling back Obama regulations that the Senate and House will muster enough support to assist the banking industry and that they recognize the need to roll back the broader reach of the CFPB. Further, they seemingly understands that the community bank is still necessary and should not be regulated in the same manner in which much larger regional and national players are regulated. As an industry, we believe Republican House and Senate are significantly more favorable to our cause than the democratically controlled houses of the past.
                    This seems obvious, why are the Democrats opposed to modifying the regulations for the smaller banks?
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

This seems obvious, why are the Democrats opposed to modifying the regulations for the smaller banks?
                      I don't know, you'd have to ask Elizabeth Warren and others who have stated multiple times that heightened regulations isn't hurting any banks, including small banks. Warren is the most ardent supporter of the CFPB, and last week when Trump talked about firing the CFPB director, who reports to no one unlike nearly every department head of a governmental agency in Washingtonin, she and others said they would support him suing the US Government. Trump has indicated he wants to replace the head with a committee or board of governors. When Warren and Dems talk about small banks not being impacted they typically reference profits as their proof. What they fail to recognize and/or mention is industry consolidation, some from failures, but most from mergers and consolidation of charters, with the single largest factor cited as being significantly increased cost of compliance with regulations. The number of indolent banks and thrifts decreased from nearly 8,000 pre- recession to just over 5,300 now. I'll look at the FDIC website for the exact totals, but these are close. As a small bank President, we have a cost of compliance on new regulation that was enacted since the recession of nearly 100%. We are no longer able to compete with Fannie and Freddie's because of oppressive consumer regulations for residential real estate lending. Since the election, the stock market has resulted in what is now being called the "Trump Bump" in bank stocks, which is solely based on the belief that the Congess is going to pull back on regulation.
                      Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 01-27-2017, 01:53 PM.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I don't know, you'd have to ask Elizabeth Warren and others who have stated multiple times that heightened regulations isn't hurting any banks, including small banks. Warren is the most ardent supporter of the CFPB, and last week when Trump talked about firing the CFPB director, who reports to no one unlike nearly every department head of a governmental agency in Washingtonin, she and others said they would support him suing the US Government. Trump has indicated he wants to replace the head with a committee or board of governors. When Warren and Dems talk about small banks not being impacted they typically reference profits as their proof. What they fail to recognize and/or mention is industry consolidation, form failures, but more so from significantly increase cost of compliance with regulations. The number of indolent banks and thrifts decreased from nearly 8,000 pre- recession to just over 5,300 now. I'll look at the FDIC website for the exact totals, but these are close. As a small bank President, we have a cost of compliance on new regulation that was enacted since the recession of nearly 100%. We are no longer able to compete with Fannie and Freddie's because of oppressive consumer regulations for residential real estate lending. Since the election, the stock market has resulted in what is now being called the "Trump Bump" in bank stocks, which is solely based on the belief that the Congess is going to pull back on regulation.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/ba...ing-under-dodd

There is another great article on this very discussion in American Banker but it is behind their pay wall, so I won't link it.

Regardless, Warren believes the lobbyists for smaller banks, The American Bankers Association, is a front to helping big banks get deregulation by disguising it as relief for "small" banks. Rest assured we don't want relief for the big banks at all. They made the bed we all now sleep in.
                        Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 01-27-2017, 01:51 PM.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Interesting, because I think Obama has been the most disrespected candidate in my lifetime, by both the opposition party and their supporters.
                          I get that, but don't assign that to me, and ive found that generalization are rarely helpful. There was certainly a vocal group who disrespected him, but not the majority. All the opposition was not racist based or disrespectful of the person, but policies. I'm am embarrassed and it angers me ( not by you, but by generalizations) to be lumped into the racist group just simply because I voted for GOP candidates.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/ba...ing-under-dodd

There is another great article on this very discussion in American Banker but it is behind their pay wall, so I won't link it.

Regardless, Warren believes the lobbyists for smaller banks, The American Bankers Association, is a front to helping big banks get deregulation by disguising it as relief for "small" banks. Rest assured we don't want relief for the big banks at all. They made the bed we all now sleep in.
                            I understand your position that smaller banks didn't cause the crisis, but isn't it true they fueled it by making huge numbers of subprime mortgages? Didn't they do this because they knew they would sell off these mortgages and not take the hit when the loans went bad?

There was certainly some motivation which caused the banks to radically change their lending behavior, and some persuasive arguments that it at least contributed to the economic meltdown. If regulation is not an appropriate response, what is to keep banks from doing this again? I actually mean that as a question.
                            If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

I get that, but don't assign that to me, and ive found that generalization are rarely helpful. There was certainly a vocal group who disrespected him, but not the majority. All the opposition was not racist based or disrespectful of the person, but policies. I'm am embarrassed and it angers me ( not by you, but by generalizations) to be lumped into the racist group just simply because I voted for GOP candidates.
                              Bernie, I think you are easily one of the most reasonable voices here, but I'll suggest that your outrage is misplaced here. True, DMT did not survey every conservative voter in the country before making his generalized comment. But, when the GOP leadership speaks in a single voice of personal disrespect toward President Obama, along with the conservative punditry and collective right-wing media, that is going to result in some wide-scale lumping. Generalizations may not be helpful, but in some cases they are accurate. Anytime a substantial majority of Republicans respond to a survey by stating they believe the President was not born in the Country (which means, of course, that he is not legally our President), that tells you he is a President very disrespected by the conservatives, even if a large group feel differently.
                              If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                                Bernie, I think you are easily one of the most reasonable voices here, but I'll suggest that your outrage is misplaced here. True, DMT did not survey every conservative voter in the country before making his generalized comment. But, when the GOP leadership speaks in a single voice of personal disrespect toward President Obama, along with the conservative punditry and collective right-wing media, that is going to result in some wide-scale lumping. Generalizations may not be helpful, but in some cases they are accurate. Anytime a substantial majority of Republicans respond to a survey by stating they believe the President was not born in the Country (which means, of course, that he is not legally our President), that tells you he is a President very disrespected by the conservatives, even if a large group feel differently.
                                Again, I don't think a majority ever said this. However, I would agree with the famous MLK quote that the silent majority should have tried to speak much louder. As King said "History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people." I suspect this will be a part of the non-Obama crowds legacy. I was not a fan of his Presidency, but there is a post somewhere on this Board in which I noted that while I disagreed with him, he was MY President.
                                Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 01-27-2017, 03:28 PM.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Working...
                                X