Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks chance for your detailed and informed response. I do appreciate the citations, especially citing people I do respect in general. However, despite my esteem for Alter and Warren's intelligence, I don't consider either very well-informed on this specific issue. Just like DeVos seems less informed than you, since she didn't even know the difference between gauging student performance on a proficiency vs growth model. But the rhetorical strategy of citing them, I do very much appreciate, and is a whole lot more than I've come to expect from 99% of the net.

I don't have the time right now to find the sources to back my response, but for right now I'll just speak to my experience and knowledge of teachers who have worked in these areas. My wife has actually worked closely accrediting teachers in New Orleans, for instance.

I know personal experience does not necessarily reflect larger truths, but this is my concerns based on the cases I've seen: In my experience, many of the least qualified teachers I've seen end up teaching in private and charter schools. They also make less money, in general, in such schools. So, why would any teacher want to work in such a school? Because most of them get to pick and choose their students, and that is a MAJOR problem I have with them. Even in the rare cases that charter schools are held accountable close to what public schools are, and even in the rare cases that they perform as well or better than public schools, it is apples and oranges to comprare them, because such schools get to be selective in who they allow to enter them. They get to pick better students with better parents. They get to reject problem students, and those who would lower their performance. I'm sure specific programs in specific areas may not do this to the extent I have seen, but I have seen it, and I think it is a major problem.

The fact is that while many can suggest that the IDEA of charter schools has a lot of merit, how it has actually been implemented has by and large not worked. In aggrate, it has failed to be shown to be a better model than our public school system, which, btw, is unfairly compared to other countries that ALSO exclude and quickly track those students who would lower their overall proficiency scores. It seems unAmerican to me to want to go that route.

And really, that ties into why I'm against them at a deep ideological level, even if we could iron out the issues and make them work, which again, the stats show that they largely haven't yet, over the last couple of decades of trying, when you try to create a free-market and emphasize the choice you empower parents with, inevitably you create inequality. The fact is that the choices work both ways. If a charter school becomes better than public options in the area, inevitably, better students will want to go to it, and better parents will fight hard to get their kids to go to them, leaving behind worse students and/or potentially great students with parents who don't care enough. That means they get left behind in an even worse learning environment than they had, when the schools had at least some students and parents that cared. And it means that those public school are even more likely to fail, because funding is tied to performance, and when the best students leave, performance will suffer even more.

Eventually, I realize, that it would get so bad that the "bad" school would just be forced to close, and in the long term, the idea is that only the best would survive. But it takes a long time, and I have seen that idealistic process corrupted by desperate teachers and admins who taint the numbers by flat out cheating. Instead of teaching, desperate people manipulate test scores by teaching to the test, or flat out giving answers or encouraging the worst students to not take the test. Basically, even if/when the system works, it hurts a lot of kids, and without stringent regulation that doesn't ye exist, in encourages cheating and manipulation.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-23-2017, 09:42 PM.

Comment

• Hmmm...I'm going to take issue with one thing from above. I disagree with Elizabeth Warren a lot. However, I have rarely found her not well-informed - and I'd argue her book with her daughter is well-researched with significant credible resources.

As for Alter, I'll concede he's had some major misses in research. However, his work on his article for the Daily Beast appears at least as well researched as Sarah Carr's - and since they're both referencing the same school district, I think a pretty worthy data-based comparison can be made.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Hmmm...I'm going to take issue with one thing from above. I disagree with Elizabeth Warren a lot. However, I have rarely found her not well-informed - and I'd argue her book with her daughter is well-researched with significant credible resources.

As for Alter, I'll concede he's had some major misses in research. However, his work on his article for the Daily Beast appears at least as well researched as Sarah Carr's - and since they're both referencing the same school district, I think a pretty worthy data-based comparison can be made.
        I don't know much about Carr. I shouldn't have just pulled a recent popular piece in getting in a debate with someone who knows his stuff. I underestimated your knowledge on the subject. I also don't know enough about Warren's opinions on this subject to be too critical of her, but do know this is not her area of expertise. I'd say that same about myself, btw, which is why is scares me when I see DeVos talk and realize she knows even less than me, and I know next to nothing about this stuff. I do know academic research on charter schools, though, shows they just haven't worked. They haven't increased student performance and they haven't lowered costs, and those that point out cases where they have are cherry picking, and not showing the whole picture.

BTW, I edited my post above to add more thoughts if you want to address any of them.
        Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-23-2017, 08:59 PM.

Comment

• Nice to see some actual, thoughtful posting here...thanks gents.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

I disagree. While I did not vote for Obama, I had hopes that he'd live up to his commitments on privacy, executive privilege, and transparency. Once he passed Darth Cheney on diminuation of privacy rights and executive privilege (ahem, even Cheney didn't advocate assassinating US citizens, reference for Obama's administration doing so and the "legal" reasoning: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/24/u...laki.html?_r=0), I realized we had simply a left-wing version of Dick Cheney.
            Man, that is a brutal assessment that I think is hyperbolic, but I will agree that I take issue with 44 on a lot of what you call out in terms of privacy, executive privilege, and transparancy. I would add to that critique my concern that our 45th prez looks like he will take that stuff even farther. He frequently suggests things that violate the Constitution, and infringe not only on our most basic laws, but the basic laws of humanity, like killing terrorists' families.

Comment

I disagree. While I did not vote for Obama, I had hopes that he'd live up to his commitments on privacy, executive privilege, and transparency. Once he passed Darth Cheney on diminuation of privacy rights and executive privilege (ahem, even Cheney didn't advocate assassinating US citizens, reference for Obama's administration doing so and the "legal" reasoning: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/24/u...laki.html?_r=0), I realized we had simply a left-wing version of Dick Cheney.
              Interesting, hadn't heard that story. I doubt this is what most Trump supporters would be railing against though - killing a radical Muslim is part of their wet dream. While this is part of your personal issues with Obama, can someone clue me in on what Joe Q. Trumpvoter hated about Obama?

Comment

All that said, I'm actually pretty indifferent to what DeVos does relative to charter schools. What I'm really hoping she does is slashes and burns federal regulations of schools - which is tied to wholly inadequate funding for every single regulation. Federal regulations have led to a glut of burden-adding administrators who add virtually no value to education - heck, likely detract from value since they burden overworked teachers with paperwork they're ill-equipped to handle.

As a result, costs have gone up for educating students - we can argue about specifics, but everyone I've read agrees costs have escalated far faster than inflation. And that's not teachers faults.
                I'm not sure what the federal regulations are, but I feel like a lot of this comes from the opposite end. When I was in Virginia the schools were run by the county. There were like 15 different high schools and a ton of lower level schools under the same administration. When I moved to NJ, it was at a regional level, with separate administrations for every 3 or 4 high schools. I'm sure the county employed more people than a regional in NJ, but it still seems top heavy. Same for township police forces. Why do you need a police chief for every town? Two towns near me in NJ were talking of merging and the opposition was all about how we would lose our police officers. No, you would just lose your police chief. The move to local government seems to create a ton more bureaucracy and administration than centralize government. And those local governments will fight against any sort of centralization.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  I'm not sure what the federal regulations are, but I feel like a lot of this comes from the opposite end. When I was in Virginia the schools were run by the county. There were like 15 different high schools and a ton of lower level schools under the same administration. When I moved to NJ, it was at a regional level, with separate administrations for every 3 or 4 high schools. I'm sure the county employed more people than a regional in NJ, but it still seems top heavy. Same for township police forces. Why do you need a police chief for every town? Two towns near me in NJ were talking of merging and the opposition was all about how we would lose our police officers. No, you would just lose your police chief. The move to local government seems to create a ton more bureaucracy and administration than centralize government. And those local governments will fight against any sort of centralization.
                  The leaders are regulations tied to No Child Left Behind (from a GOP administration) and Race To The Top (from a Dem administration). Both have significant regulations that have been grossly underfunded, but have given leverage to expand administration over teaching. Administrative growth ratio to teacher growth - and worse, funding for administration relative to teaching - has exploded since 2000. To paraphrase Don Quixote, your district may vary, but I'd challenge anyone to show me a school district of any size where administration hasn't outpaced teaching funding by a sizeable margin over the past 15 years.

Comment

• Interesting little move by the new administration today. They shut down the long time White House comment line. Directed instead to a Facebook Messenger account...which at this point doesn't exist.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      I know personal experience does not necessarily reflect larger truths, but this is my concerns based on the cases I've seen: In my experience, many of the least qualified teachers I've seen end up teaching in private and charter schools. They also make less money, in general, in such schools. So, why would any teacher want to work in such a school?
                      My experience and personal knowledge of private school teachers is distinctly different from yours - I've found most to be excellent, and choose to work in private or charter schools due to some very key differences. First, the public schools in my state have absolutely crippled teachers ability to discipline. Heck, they can't even defend themselves anymore. Second, many prefer the ability to teach in a faith-based or principle-based environment. Third, they prefer the flexibility given by private/charter schools to team teach and teach in conjunction with special needs teachers.

And really, that ties into why I'm against them at a deep ideological level, even if we could iron out the issues and make them work, which again, the stats show that they largely haven't yet, over the last couple of decades of trying, when you try to create a free-market and emphasize the choice you empower parents with, inevitably you create inequality.
                      And, respectfully, no snark meant, I see this as a feature and not a bug. Students are not equal, nor are the parents. Requiring our top students to stay in programs that "teach to the test", or are in dismally run school districts (again, I have a lot of knowledge of Milwaukee...), or are in poorly run schools is robbing our country of potential best and brightest. Heck, even asking our average students to stay in these environments borders on criminal in my point of view.

Per success or failure of charter schools, I do differ with you. My long-term following of Milwaukee has shown charter/voucher schools to provide better student results - and parents, seeing these results, have flocked to these schools. New Orleans, per Alter's research, has seen similar results.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        Man, that is a brutal assessment that I think is hyperbolic, but I will agree that I take issue with 44 on a lot of what you call out in terms of privacy, executive privilege, and transparancy. I would add to that critique my concern that our 45th prez looks like he will take that stuff even farther. He frequently suggests things that violate the Constitution, and infringe not only on our most basic laws, but the basic laws of humanity, like killing terrorists' families.
                        Indeed he does. And he serves with a weaponized bureaucracy that will make it much easier to do his bidding. I'll note that I've opposed expansion of executive powers, regardless of who's in power, since I've been on this board. As I mentioned many times during the GWB era, had the GOP at that time looked at executive expansion in the view that I did (Do you want President Clinton to really have those powers? ), we'd have been better off. And had the left questioned Obama the same way (Do you want President Trump to really have those powers?), we'd have been better off as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                          Interesting, hadn't heard that story. I doubt this is what most Trump supporters would be railing against though - killing a radical Muslim is part of their wet dream. While this is part of your personal issues with Obama, can someone clue me in on what Joe Q. Trumpvoter hated about Obama?
                          Depends on the voter. I'd say there's pretty good documentation from liberal to conservative media sources that agree that many typical blue collar voters, who for a long time voted Democrat, changed this time. In general, as I read the articles, is their feeling was the Democratic party left their concerns behind. We can argue how they reached that point (Hillary's inability to connect, poor strategy, Trump's superior messaging, Dems greater focus on identity politics over economic policy, and many others), but some combination of those factors certainly drove a lot of voters in the Rust Belt to pull the lever for Trump.

There's certainly those on the right that would never pull the lever for a Dem, as on the left who'd never pull the lever for a GOP candidate.

The most interesting metrics I saw were that Trump outperformed Romney in almost every single minority group. I would expect for most, that's driven by economics.

Comment

• But weren't the ACA and the bailouts the main issues that the Tea Party developed in response to?
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              Nice to see some actual, thoughtful posting here...thanks gents.
                              +1000

if I had any knowledge of this topic to contribute, I'd feel very encouraged to join in.
                              maybe there's hope for us after all....
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I should've quoted this in my last reply, because I am in agreement with your criticisms of Obama on these issues. But how is he 'left-wing'? He's been basically a moderate Republican on many issues.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X