• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
    phobist!
    If it means this.

landscape-1449758565-fast-times.jpg
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
      UC Berkeley is historically bloody far from middle america. Breitbart speakers invited to an extreme liberal bastion filled with almost but not quite adults, predictable result. Though the agitators arrested were not students there at all.
      LOL. And, yes, some arrested were students.

And since when is squashing free speech a predictable result at a liberal campus? Aren't all y'all supposed to be the supporters of free speech?
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
        Your writing style and politics outed yourself.
        My best friend lives in Abilene.
        Yeah, I think I was doing pretty good until one night I had too many drinks and got pissed off at Doig. Got careless.

I didn't get the job I was going for, so it doesn't matter now. I thought I was going to get to be a judge again. Sad.
        If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post

And since when is squashing free speech a predictable result at a liberal campus? Aren't all y'all supposed to be the supporters of free speech?
          its only free if you agree with them.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
            Yeah, I think I was doing pretty good until one night I had too many drinks and got pissed off at Doig. Got careless.

I didn't get the job I was going for, so it doesn't matter now. I thought I was going to get to be a judge again. Sad.
            so you can get lucky again?
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Sorry to hear that........hopefully you will get another shot.

Comment

I predict that if the local liberal campus schedules David Duke to speak, there will be a protest. See, that wasn't hard.

As has been pointed out here many times before, the guarantee of free speech is a constitutional guarantee that the government will not impose unreasonable restrictions upon an individual's right of free speech. Even then, the right is not absolute. Absent a governmental actor, "free speech" is not a right in the sense that so many right-winger want to use it nowadays, namely as a way to justify their own hate speech.

So, you send an asshole like that Breitbart guy to speak at a college campus, there is going to be pushback. Those were private citizens. There is no right-to-free-speech issue. You could even say the market spoke.
                If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                  so you can get lucky again?
                  It appears so.

And you, CBB, immediately after nots, confirmed my identity. You guys are too sharp.

Comment

• Alexander Acosta new labor sec pick. Should be a pretty easy confirmation.

Comment

It appears so.

And you, CBB, immediately after nots, confirmed my identity. You guys are too sharp.
                      nots is too fast for me. I often read a thread all the way through and get ready to reply and he's already put my thoughts in his post at the end of the thread. That happened when we figured out who you were.

Comment

Actually Ken outted you when he offered the correct number of teams in your AL only baseball forum thread.

But only because I pay attention.

Sorry you didn't get the gig, sincerely.

Comment

Chance, maybe I am wrong, just going by memory that there were 3 arrests, and all 3 were outside non students, simple agitator. And I did not say anything like "squashing free speech a predictable result at a liberal campus", just that Berekely is not middle america, and that this is an extreme case, Breitbart speakers, as in those who are pushing an alt right agenda, at an extreme left campus. And no, it was not a good thing.

Why talk about middle america, then bring up something that is an extreme left/right case? The other examples, as in the million+ people who peacefully gathered in womens march, that is odd to bring up as there were no arrests made, it was massive, and peaceful. Any kind of gathering that big, should statistically have some kind of incident, so it is an example being brought up of poor behavior, when it was certainly the opposite. An example of poor behavior would the Trump's mass pre election rallies where there were plenty of incited acts of violence. Not sure what point is here, if you need to use examples and simply mis characterize them I guess there is no real reason you shouldnt, other than it is silly.

Comment

• Maybe the problem is that alt right is acceptable to some here, while offensive to others? What does alt right mean to you? Because to me it is basically inviting the clan, minus the outfits, and it has become more accepted in some circles.

Comment

Chance, maybe I am wrong, just going by memory that there were 3 arrests, and all 3 were outside non students, simple agitator. And I did not say anything like "squashing free speech a predictable result at a liberal campus", just that Berekely is not middle america, and that this is an extreme case, Breitbart speakers, as in those who are pushing an alt right agenda, at an extreme left campus. And no, it was not a good thing.

Why talk about middle america, then bring up something that is an extreme left/right case? The other examples, as in the million+ people who peacefully gathered in womens march, that is odd to bring up as there were no arrests made, it was massive, and peaceful. Any kind of gathering that big, should statistically have some kind of incident, so it is an example being brought up of poor behavior, when it was certainly the opposite. An example of poor behavior would the Trump's mass pre election rallies where there were plenty of incited acts of violence. Not sure what point is here, if you need to use examples and simply mis characterize them I guess there is no real reason you shouldnt, other than it is silly.
                              To piggyback, those who have claimed responsibility for violence are known as the Black Bloc or individual anarchists using BB tactics.

They have shown up at peacefully planned protests across the country and have a separate agenda than the original protest organizers intend.

In today's protests, there are many ways people not associated with the cause to infiltrate and disrupt. From actual counter protests to plants to groups with similar agendas but different methods of protest.

You shouldn't judge the cause or those who are peacefully exercising their rights by the actions of those whose intent is to incite.

I'd add one question... When, during a peaceful protest is it OK to defend yourself from authoritative aggression (standing rock, UC Davis, etc) and what is acceptable behavior in that defense.

Comment

Maybe the problem is that alt right is acceptable to some here, while offensive to others? What does alt right mean to you? Because to me it is basically inviting the clan, minus the outfits, and it has become more accepted in some circles.
                                Who specifically in here do you think the alt right is acceptable to ?

Comment

Working...
                                X