*** VD 11 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    The next draft needs to be after the end of the fantasy baseball draft season, as like Hacko, I was only spending time on this when it was my pick. I don't mind picking out a format, however.
    Personally I wouldn't want to get involved in VD12 until April or May at the earliest.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      Personally I wouldn't want to get involved in VD12 until April or May at the earliest.
      Let's set the date for mid April - and work on the format and who is in.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
        This was an interesting draft. Definitely a lot of previously undrafted guys got picked toward the end. I feel like the importance of 1870s guys might have been underestimated for a while there, too. Guys like John Ward and Tommy Bond and George Bradley ended up being huge. Plus, the Big Train advantage.

I'm down for whenever and whatever.
        I decided to keep things simple and only had 2 things in mind

1. Overvalue RBI's and undervalue SB's

2. 1870's will get scrubby quick, so don't get caught out.

Made a point of focusing on RBI's and career number early to have an anchor, and with O'Rourke falling to me, decided to punt BA. Also loaded up on a few top ranked pitchers to be able to dump 2 of the 1870's guys into my pitching. Then dropped the final scrub into my final catcher slot.

Worked out pretty well, but that Train-Bond opening salvo from Diablo was just too much.

I wish I could have paid more attention ... at the end the players being selected were just names and codes.

Comment

• Congrats boys. I had a good idea of what I wanted to do, but I was honestly too distracted with work to not screw it up. I had no idea I was locking myself out of the 1890s so early. That hurt me down the stretch when I needed a catcher. That and I focused on career hitting too late.
          "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
          "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• image.jpg. Eld and Johnny thinking up next formatt

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
              I decided to keep things simple and only had 2 things in mind

1. Overvalue RBI's and undervalue SB's

2. 1870's will get scrubby quick, so don't get caught out.

Made a point of focusing on RBI's and career number early to have an anchor, and with O'Rourke falling to me, decided to punt BA. Also loaded up on a few top ranked pitchers to be able to dump 2 of the 1870's guys into my pitching. Then dropped the final scrub into my final catcher slot.
              This was pretty much my plan too... not executed quite as well though.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

•   (Source) — If you’re a big fan of bitter drinks, such as IPAs, Negronis, Boulevardiers and the like, scientists at the University of Innsbruck in Austria have uncovered that you’re also more likely ...

Science Confirms That People Who Like IPAs Are Psychopaths

If you’re a big fan of bitter drinks, such as IPAs, Negronis, Boulevardiers and the like, scientists at the University of Innsbruck in Austria have uncovered that you’re also more likely to exhibit malevolent personality traits. The same is true if you crave black coffee or tonic water. Basically, you’re a psycho. To come to their conclusion, scientists surveyed 1,000 participants and asked them to rank a variety of foods on a six-point preference scale. Once the foods were ranked, respondents were also asked to complete a personality questionnaire. The results were then scrubbed against each other to determine the results. The hypothesis was that our taste preferences develop very early in life, just as our personality traits do, and that perhaps the scientists could identify a correlation between the flavors we enjoy and our unique personality traits. What the researchers uncovered was that the more a person craved bitter flavors, the darker their personality. Scientists believe this correlation exists because we have naturally evolved to see bitter flavors as a warning sign – as bitterness is generally correlated with something that may be toxic or harmful.

No shocker here. People who drink IPAs are the worst. In a sense, they’re the vegetables of the alcoholic beverage community, everyone looks down at you and assumes you’re a child if you don’t like them and IPA drinkers, the passionate ones, are vegetarians. They can’t just accept the fact that you have different tastes, they need to convert you. They feel compelled to tell you why your choices are wrong and why they currently hold the lease on the ivory tower of alcoholic beverages.

Well guess what, assholes? You’re insane. Science says so. Your tastes, the ones you preach to everyone who will listen, reveal that you have a dark mind and everyone should fear you. Sure, my preference of a cold Budweiser may show that I’m a cheap frat boy, but at least people like me. At least I don’t ruin the party by pulling aside friends who are just trying to have a good time and explaining why my beer is the best, because it was brewed with anti-aging collagen and mashed with the brewmaster’s beard hair (those are both real IPAs). Not so high and mighty afterall, are we, you lunatic?

Comment

• trying to clean up my garage, and moving a bunch of baseball cards into my office closet (there's zero humidity here and the garage doesn't get that warm, so it was an okay place for them for a bit). I was looking through some 3 hole binders with 9 card sheets that I had put together of rookie cards and first round draft picks.

Looking at 1989 Draft I noticed a couple of things. 1) most of these guys never amounted to anything. Frank Thomas is HOF, Chuck Knoblaugh, Ben McDonald, Todd Jones and Mo Vaughn had decent careers, but the rest was dreck and I've got a bunch of useless cards, lovingly slotted into sleeves.
                  2) Eddie Zosky and Alan Zinter were both drafted in the 1989 first round and never amounted to anything. I'm not sure either of them realized how important quizy players would become. Zinter was a C too, with even a mediocre career he could have vaulted himself into a midround VD draft pick. Shame.
                  Last edited by heyelander; 04-24-2016, 02:18 PM.

Comment

• Also of note, I have a butt-load of Kevin Mass rookie cards carefully stashed that I planned to retire on...

Comment

• The status of my mid 80s heavy card collection is similar. I have only two complete sets and they're the two lowest valued sets in history (86 & 87 topps). I have more Steve Ontiveros, Brian Fisher and Mariano Duncan rookie cards than I know what to do with. (Sigh)
                      "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                      "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Are those 87 tops the ones that look like wood paneling? Damn those are some ugly cards.

Comment

• I had a bunch of valuable cards from the 1960s (Mantles, Aarons, etc.) that a baseball card dealer friend of mine in 1996 convinced me to sell in order to buy a stack of Hideo Nomo rookie cards.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            I had a bunch of valuable cards from the 1960s (Mantles, Aarons, etc.) that a baseball card dealer friend of mine in 1996 convinced me to sell in order to buy a stack of Hideo Nomo rookie cards.
                            I have 50 Wes Chamberlin's in a plastic box.

Comment

• I'm bored

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                                I'm bored
                                Why not come back here and insult all the IPA drinkers ?
                                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X