*** VD 11 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
    Well, I'm not ready to pick. But that's OK, because Feral took Phillippe, who was already selected. By Heyelander. Again trying to take his players...
    That Bastard, always stealing my guys
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• okay, I drafted some other loser....carry on
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
        Is he one of those "doesn't have enough to qualify" guys? Levi Meyerle doesn't show up as any position, either, even though he's a 3B technically.
        I remember Hastings being taken in other drafts as a catcher (ditto for Levi at 3B), which is why I took him. As long as he qualifies there and it's just a spreadsheet glitch, we're fine -- just wanted to check.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          That Bastard, always stealing my guys
          You really should change your password to something other than "password"
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• I'm on a plane most of tomorrow and will finally be back home late tomorrow night. I fwd my next pick to heye.
            "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
            "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• MJL needs to repick Fred Goldsmith. His 1879 year is not eligible as it doesn't meet with the IP or Games Played minimum requirement.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                The spate of 1870's picks got me wondering ... why are there so few BY's? Somehow the following 1870's pitchers (on the career sheet) have eligible BY's that are not on the BY sheet. No eligible 1870's BY's were filtered out of the SS, so not sure how that happened. The following players have eligible BY's for pitching (brackets = number of BY's):

Code:
                deando01     Dean, Dory (1)
                fishech01    Fisher, Cherokee (3+)
                foleycu01    Foley, Curry (1)
                goldemi01    Golden, Mike (1)
                hankifr01    Hankinson, Frank (1)
                healeto01    Healey, Tom (1)
                knighlo01    Knight, Lon (2)
                martiph01    Martin, Phonney (1)
                mccorha01    McCormick, Harry (1)
                mcgunbi01    McGunnigle, Bill (1)
                mcmuljo01    McMullin, John (1)
                mitchbo01    Mitchell, Bobby (2)
                nichotr01    Nichols, Tricky (2)
                nolanth01    Nolan, The_Only (1)
                parksbi01    Parks, Bill (1)
                prattal01    Pratt, Al (2)
                purcebl01    Purcell, Blondie (1)
                stearbi01    Stearns, Bill (3)
                woltery01    Wolters, Rynie (1)
                I will have to import these from BR.com ... so in the mean time you can check through them yourselves.

Edit:

I'll add these BY's to the sheet tomorrow morning. These are the "draftable" years. The other eligible years will be desperation picks.

Code:
                1878    weavesa01        Weaver, Sam [B]PICKED[/B]
                1878    nolanth01        Nolan, The Only
                1875    nichotr01        Nichols, Tricky 
                1877    nichotr01        Nichols, Tricky 
                1879    mcgunbi01        McGunnigle, Bill 
                1879    mccorha01        McCormick, Harry 
                1875    knighlo01        Knight, Lon
                1878    healeto01        Healey, Tom
                1879    hankifr01        hankinson, Frank [B]PICKED[/B]
                1875    goldemi01        Golden, Mike
                1879    foleycu01        Foley, Curry
                1872    fishech01        Fisher, Cherokee [B]PICKED[/B]
                1875    fishech01        Fisher, Cherokee [B]PICKED[/B]
                Bump ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                  I'm on a plane most of tomorrow and will finally be back home late tomorrow night. I fwd my next pick to heye.
                  I'm out also. So I guess I'll also forward to Heyelander

Hope he can handle all this pressure.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                    MJL needs to repick Fred Goldsmith. His 1879 year is not eligible as it doesn't meet with the IP or Games Played minimum requirement.
                    I was wondering about that...but couldn't find the rules for the minimums anywhere. Might not have looked very hard.
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

We've been using the same minimums for a really, really long time now.
                      Haven't been in a draft for a really, really long time now.
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

We've been using the same minimums for a really, really long time now.
                        Where are the minimums listed? I found http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...ll=1#post57880 which made me think the minimum was 40 innings.
                        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Not sure why Johnny didn't put this in the first post like he usually does, but this is from the last draft (and many, many more before it):

"ii. The player must have an eligible season. For a hitter's "best season", the hitter must have at least 100 ABs during the season. To be an eligible season for a pitcher's "best season", the pitcher must have at least 100 IP or 40 appearances during the season."

I assume it was just at typo to put 40 IP in that discussion thread from some years back. To my knowledge, the IP minimum has never been 40, it's always been 100 ever since Seitzer discovered how to dominate every draft by drafting some obscure QUIZY pitcher with 1.2 IP.
                          Hackos fault ... he stole the second post in the draft thread before I could grab it (that's my excuse anyway).

I think the IP rules were brought in after my first W/K punt game ... I won by about 80 points ... filled out the pitching with junk low IP QUIZENVY's. It was so long ago ... I could be wrong though. The team IP minimum was definitely brought in after the subsequent draft, which I also W/K'd for an easy win. That pretty much killed the strat (though it can still work in extraordinary circumstances ... or if you like gambling).

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                            Where are the minimums listed? I found http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...ll=1#post57880 which made me think the minimum was 40 innings.
                            Sorry, I just assume everyone knows these little details.

The reason it was brought in was to stop bad people from using cheesy pitching strats that relied on low IP pitchers to protect ratios.

Comment

• I don't know what the hell I was thinking when I took Davy Force. I think I misread his BA to be .294 instead of .249. *sigh*

Comment

• Sorry, Flaked... I didn't realize LJ came righ after Johnny.
                                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                                X