*** VD 10 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hacko View Post
    OF course one of the Legendary races was Johnny Losing to Mr. Elder here - which still Pains him to this day!
    Let's not talk about that. In my mind Pogues only ever got 2 wins.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
      it's AMAZING!

hmmm... actually, there's a chance that it was my box that was full and I couldn't send anything because there wasn't room in my sent directory.

edit: BALLS! When I was clearing things up, I deleted the email I had written to chance and sent to myself for safe keeping. Anyway, just assume it says what slasher said it says.
      Is there a short, reasonably easy explanation of how VD drafting works?
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...ntage-Drafting is medium accurate. The scoring has changed a bit but the general concept remains.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I think decades is more straightforward than letters as well. Scrubs like Jamie Quirk or George Zettelein do not have value.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Same as 5x5 Fantasy Baseball, except you know the stats you are drafting.

Instead of simple 5x5 ... we use 10x10 ... that is 5x5 for Career stats, and 5x5 for a select BY stats.

So if you pick Babe Ruth 1921, you get:

Career: 2174 Runs, 714 HR, 2214 RBi, 123 SB, .342 BA
            BY: 177, 59, 168, 17, .378

You fill your team out as a normal Fantasy Baseball roster, typically: C C 1B 2B 3B SS MI CI OF OF OF OF OF UT / 10XP

That's basically it.

---------

Then we usually add a handicap of some sorts to shake up the player values. Letters and Decades are the two most popular handicaps (we have also used Franchises in the past). What does this mean? Pretty simple also.

With Letters we only allow 1 player per letter of the alphabet: so if you pick Barry Bonds, you can't pick Mordecei Brown or Jeff Bagwell. All the B's are off the menu.

With Decades you pick 1 hitter and 1 pitcher per Decade. So if you pick Babe Ruth 1921, you can't pick Jimmie Foxx 1929 ... but you could pick Jimmie Foxx 1931.

----------

It's really simple and really addictive, and the Spreadsheet provides all the data you need. The past drafts (and draft orders) provide plenty of information about the relative value of players. For instance, if you are thinking of picking X player, you can simply check when he was picked in the previous Decades drafts to get an idea if it's a good pick.

Comment

buried at the end of the post mike linked to was this:

Decades:

When using the decades draft format, we draft 1 hitter and 1 pitcher from each decade from the 1870's to the 2010's. The Best Year of the player will determine which decade he is assigned. Some players can qualify in 3 decades.

There are a couple of nuances:

1. The 1870's and 1880's are combined for pitching.
              2. Because there are less pitchers drafted, there will be some spare decades that can be left undrafted.
              3. In order to make sure that all the hitting decades are used, another Util slot is added to the normal lineup.

The more difficult decades for hitting and pitching are:

QUIZY Hitting decades: 1870, 1900, 1910, 1940, 1950's, 2010's (every hitting decade must be selected)
              QUIZY Pitching Decades: 1890, 1920, 1930, 1940, 1950, 2010's (usually you will have to pick 4 from these)
              with 5 years in now, the 2010's probably aren't as troublesome as they once were. Probably play neutral now at least.

Also, there was no mention (or I skimmed across it) of the spreadsheet in that thread. Johnny will provide us all with a spreadsheet (created by seitzer back in the day) that has all pertinent players, sortable by stats, decade or position. It tracks everyone's positions and decades taken, marks taken players and keeps track of everyone's stats and the current score. We aren't just throwing you out into hours and hours of wandering through baseball-reference.com There are also past drafts that will somewhat reflect the current rules so you will have a vague frame of reference for who and when players have been drafted in the past. Basically, you will be as prepared as me the moment you sign up.
              Last edited by heyelander; 09-23-2015, 04:34 PM.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                Let's not talk about that. In my mind Pogues only ever got 2 wins.
                Is that the one you choked away or something? I vaguely remember someone picking the wrong player, but I don't even know if I was the beneficiary...
                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Speaking of spreadsheets, anyone want to mail one to [email protected]? That would go a long way to getting a commitment from me.
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                    Is that the one you choked away or something? I vaguely remember someone picking the wrong player, but I don't even know if I was the beneficiary...
                    Don't know what you're talkin' about.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                      Speaking of spreadsheets, anyone want to mail one to [email protected]? That would go a long way to getting a commitment from me.
                      You can download the final scoring sheet from VD9, but we are updating all the stats at the end of the regular season (about 2 weeks away of course), so VD won't be ready until then.

Comment

buried at the end of the post mike linked to was this:

with 5 years in now, the 2010's probably aren't as troublesome as they once were. Probably play neutral now at least.

Also, there was no mention (or I skimmed across it) of the spreadsheet in that thread. Johnny will provide us all with a spreadsheet (created by seitzer back in the day) that has all pertinent players, sortable by stats, decade or position. It tracks everyone's positions and decades taken, marks taken players and keeps track of everyone's stats and the current score. We aren't just throwing you out into hours and hours of wandering through baseball-reference.com There are also past drafts that will somewhat reflect the current rules so you will have a vague frame of reference for who and when players have been drafted in the past. Basically, you will be as prepared as me the moment you sign up.
                        When does the next draft start?
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

When does the next draft start?
                          End of the regular season ... around that time.

Comment

End of the regular season ... around that time.
                            maybe do a recruiting push at the end of the season to try to get some new people in after the regular fantasy season?
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

maybe do a recruiting push at the end of the season to try to get some new people in after the regular fantasy season?
                              12 + Pogues + Chancellor (if they join)

... do we want more than 14?

Comment

You can download the final scoring sheet from VD9, but we are updating all the stats at the end of the regular season (about 2 weeks away of course), so VD won't be ready until then.
                                *whispers* I don't know where to find that...

Comment

Working...
                                X