*** VD 10 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    So we are going to do a decades draft, right ? Anything else to make it interesting ?
    No nothing beyond standard Decades has been suggested. Diablo suggested a floating vintage / modern slot for the next letter draft ... I'd be down for that eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      No nothing beyond standard Decades has been suggested. Diablo suggested a floating vintage / modern slot for the next letter draft ... I'd be down for that eventually.
      From a past post of yours - this is what we should do for the next Letter draft

Also, we need to have a debate about maybe cutting off the modern hitter period for the next VD ... now that it's clear some semblance of normality has returned to the stats. 2009 would seem like a good date, meaning that: any player who played in any year from 1999 to 2008 (inclusive) will be classed as a Modern/Contemporary hitter. Anyone who's career finished before 1999, or after 2008 would be classed as "normal". Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
        From a past post of yours - this is what we should do for the next Letter draft

Also, we need to have a debate about maybe cutting off the modern hitter period for the next VD ... now that it's clear some semblance of normality has returned to the stats. 2009 would seem like a good date, meaning that: any player who played in any year from 1999 to 2008 (inclusive) will be classed as a Modern/Contemporary hitter. Anyone who's career finished before 1999, or after 2008 would be classed as "normal". Thoughts?
        Yeah, I think there's some consensus for that ... maybe 2000/1 - 2008 (inclusive)?

Comment

just so we keep some momentum while we wait for the season to end and Pogues decide if he is in or out,

we will have some details on some of our old picks.

First up Old Hoss Radbourn:

Known - Had the greatest 1 season. 59 wins- 1.38 era - 441 K's and 678.2 FRICKIN INNINGS.

BUT THE SEASON DID NOT START OUT AS ONE WHERE YOU WOULD EXPECT ANYTHING SUPER. AS LATE AS July he was suspended for Drunkenness and LACK OF EFFORT.
          *** Then Charlie Sweeny - jump ship so they had to reinstate Old Hoss. He said under 2 conditions.
          *** he would get his release at end of the year
          *** He would pitch every game the rest of the year - for a Hefty Bonus.

Led by old Hoss they won by 10 1/2 games but he threw so many innings by the end of the year he couldn't lift his arm to comb his hair. He was never the same Pitcher after that season.

*** He won 167 games in the first 4 years and only 144 more after that.. His arm finally gave out in his last year.

He bought a Billiard hall. A hunting Accident partially paralyzed his face. Self conscience he retreated to the dimly lit back room where he kept himself most of the time to conceal his disfigurement.

Comment

just so we keep some momentum while we wait for the season to end and Pogues decide if he is in or out,

Known - Had the greatest 1 season. 59 wins- 1.38 era - 441 K's and 678.2 FRICKIN INNINGS.

BUT THE SEASON DID NOT START OUT AS ONE WHERE YOU WOULD EXPECT ANYTHING SUPER. AS LATE AS July he was suspended for Drunkenness and LACK OF EFFORT.
            *** Then Charlie Sweeny - jump ship so they had to reinstate Old Hoss. He said under 2 conditions.

Led by old Hoss they won by 10 1/2 games but he threw so many innings by the end of the year he couldn't lift his arm to comb his hair. He was never the same Pitcher after that season.

*** He won 167 games in the first 4 years and only 144 more after that.. His arm finally gave out in his last year.

He bought a Billiard hall. A hunting Accident partially paralyzed his face. Self conscience he retreated to the dimly lit back room where he kept himself most of the time to conceal his disfigurement.
            I did not know that. A lot of the old timey players seemed like real dickheads though ... judging from the stories.

Comment

When I was at the baseball HOF this summer I played there trivia game and won a book that has a page on each HOF inductee. This was one of the few that I read. There were a couple other interesting ones as well. It didn't mention the paralyzed face part...wow
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                When I was at the baseball HOF this summer I played there trivia game and won a book that has a page on each HOF inductee. This was one of the few that I read. There were a couple other interesting ones as well. It didn't mention the paralyzed face part...wow
                I found a book at a garage sale a few years back called COOPERSTOWN Hall of fame players With profiles on each player.

Comment

My book is the National Baseball Hall of Fame Almanac 2012 edition. It says that Radbourn was suspended in mid-July for fighting with Sweeney, but then Sweeney quit on July 22 leading to the deal described above. I'm looking fwd to reading the rest
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I keep telling myself not to look at the standings in Idle Hands until the season is over, and yet I keep checking them a couple of times a night.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Hey Mike, do you know anything about the Regency Ballroom? Going to see the Fratellis on Sunday night.

Comment

• what do you want to know? It's a big building, there are a lot of people waiting outside to get in usually so bring a jacket, it's about eight blocks from my apartment.
                        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                          what do you want to know? It's a big building, there are a lot of people waiting outside to get in usually so bring a jacket, it's about eight blocks from my apartment.
                          it's good to remind me to always bring a jacket. I never remember that and stand around in shorts and a t-shirt freezing my ass off.

Comment

• next up CAP ANSON 1871 TO 1898

Cap was one of the few Early Players who Family actually encourage him to play Profession Baseball - his father even wrote the Chicago team in 1869 recommending his son. Which they ignore. He then went to Notre Dame for a year then join Rockford in the Newly form NA. He then jump teams and went to Phil where he remained until 1875. When the NL formed in 1876 he Joined the Chicago White Stockings 7 years after dear old Dad wrote his letter. He remain with the club FOR THE NEXT 22 YEARS SETTING A 19TH CENTURY LOYALTY RECORD FOR A PLAYER AND 1 CLUB.

NEWS WORTHY NOTES.
                            ^^ first player to reach 3000 hits.
                            *** Hit less then 300 only 3 times in his 27 seasons.
                            *** Mainly a line drive hitter he also could hit for Power and was particularly Dangerous with men on base. In one 12 year stretch he led the league in RbI 9 times.
                            *** As player manger he led the team to 5 Pennants.

FLAWS::::
                            Language on the field was often so vile that it evoke many fines from umpires . Rival Fans called him CRYBABY ANSON because of the way he whined and moan when things did not go his way.
                            Moreover he was a Racist -Because of his threat of a strike if anyone outside a white could play - several Black players were Barred before the 1885 season.- a banned that Lingered until 1947 (Jackie R)

After 1897 Chicago ask that he resigned the manager seat - he then was fired when he refused. The White Stockings Minus Anson for the first time in their 23 year history become known as the Orphans.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                              I keep telling myself I'll be just as good with getting the #1 minors pick as with finishing the money. It's a lie. I am not good with finishing out of the money. I feel like the fantasy gods, may they forever eat bags of dicks, are just trying to thwart me. My team was a fucking juggernaut, damnit! A juggernaut!
                              I, on the other hand, am shocked my team is performing this well.
                              Last edited by heyelander; 10-03-2015, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                                I, on the other hand, an shocked my team is performing this well.
                                Looks like you had a big day yesterday. My team had a lot of risk built in, and it turned out even worse than I expected. Hopefully I'll do better next year, I have enough talent coming back that I shouldn't be back in the cellar.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X