Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    For Nori Aoki and a minor leaguer
    I didn't have high hopes, but a 35 year old OF with no power? I suppose I should wait until hearing who the minor leaguer is but I'm pretty sure it's not anyone relevant. Oh well.

edit: turns out the minor leaguer is Teoscar Hernandez; Bit of a lottery ticket, but that's okay, it's at least something half-decent.
    Last edited by TranaGreg; 07-31-2017, 01:24 PM.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Joe Smith is going to Cleveland; no word yet on who's coming back ...

edit: LHP Tom Pannone and SS Samad Taylor; neither on Cle's top 30 prospects
      Last edited by TranaGreg; 07-31-2017, 02:37 PM.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        For Nori Aoki and a minor leaguer
        This is great news for Derek Fisher!

Comment

• Big weekend for the Jays ... we're in Wrigley for 3 - this will be a good test. In case you haven't been paying attention, we're now just 3 games back of a wildcard spot (altho we would have to leapfrog 5 other teams). Still, with 6 weeks to go & with Sanchez, Travis, and Martin all coming back soon, there's actually a chance of making the post-season. Crazy game, this baseball!

Comment

• Moving the OF discussion here. Greg, can you rename to 2K18 (because we prefer typing a K to a 0).

The Jays said Grichuk will be their everyday RF. I know it's much too early to say that. Is that a tactic to motivate the others, in particular, THernandez and Alford?

There have been rumblings of moving Pillar for a couple seasons. I can see the Jays doing that if someone other than Grichuk plays well enough to earn the RF job.

In the 2016 playoffs I figured Pompey would be a regular by now. Has his ship sailed?

ETA: When I googled his name to check his stats this was the second hit.

https://jaysjournal.com/2017/11/20/b...window-closed/

Didn't remember he was out with a concussion for most of last year. He may get squeezed out in Toronto and scooped up by AA or another savvy GM.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

• These recent moves (Grandy Man, Solarte, Grichuk) appear to either squeeze out or put on notice Teoscar Hernandez and Devon Travis.

I'm a little surprised about Travis because he was perhaps their best hitter in May, just before micro-fractures KO'd him again. Obviously they're concerned with his brittleness, but if healthy, he could be a force.

Grichuk should be a more than adequate replacement for Jose Bautista.

Teoscar Hernandez probably deserved a shot, and will probably still get it when Grandy is batting .200.

Comment

• I'll repost here what I put in the transaction thread ...

There's a scenario, where Hernandez could outperform Pillar in the spring ; it wouldn't shock me to see Grichuk then start in CF, Hernandez in RF, and Pillar becomes a 4th Of /defensive replacement. Or it could lead to a Pillar trade, if they can get something of value. I agree that the likely scenario is Teoscar starts the year in Buffalo, but I think the organization is open to a lot of different things playing out.
                I really do think that this FO has assembled guys who can compete for starting positions in the spring, and that nobody will be handed a job. I think that this spring will be very different from past ones (they Jays typically have had 8 starters - 9 with DH - pegged before ST even starts).

Comment

• Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                  In the 2016 playoffs I figured Pompey would be a regular by now. Has his ship sailed?

ETA: When I googled his name to check his stats this was the second hit.

https://jaysjournal.com/2017/11/20/b...window-closed/

Didn't remember he was out with a concussion for most of last year. He may get squeezed out in Toronto and scooped up by AA or another savvy GM.
                  More recent:

The Jays have a plethora of OF talent either on the major league roster or waiting in the wings. I could see them making a trade or two with this depth:
                  Granderson, Grichuk, Pillar, Hernandez, Pearce, Saunders, Pompey, Alford and Carrera----All have MLB experience (Alford only a handful of games)
                  Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

• broadcast booth news: Jerry Howarth announced his retirement today as Blue Jays radio voice after 36 years. Heck, I was still a teenager when Jerry first started calling Jays games with Tom Cheek in 1981.

a Jerry tidbit: a couple of years ago someone asked him what he thought about Cleveland's logo (chief wahoo) - he stated that he felt strongly that it should be removed, and then he casually stated that he stopped calling them the Indians 5 years prior ... it's just that nobody noticed & he hadn't made any statements about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                      broadcast booth news: Jerry Howarth announced his retirement today as Blue Jays radio voice after 36 years. Heck, I was still a teenager when Jerry first started calling Jays games with Tom Cheek in 1981.

a Jerry tidbit: a couple of years ago someone asked him what he thought about Cleveland's logo (chief wahoo) - he stated that he felt strongly that it should be removed, and then he casually stated that he stopped calling them the Indians 5 years prior ... it's just that nobody noticed & he hadn't made any statements about it.
                      And there she goes!

Sad news. I've been listening to Jays games on radio since the early 80s. They won't sound the same.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

• And Tulo is already hurt. Heel bone spur.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          And Tulo is already hurt. Heel bone spur.
                          Hey, did play in 66 games last year and batted .249.

Sounds like a good name to toss out and sit back and watch. Somebody will take a chance on him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            Hey, did play in 66 games last year and batted .249.

Sounds like a good name to toss out and sit back and watch. Somebody will take a chance on him.
                            I’m not even taking the chance this year that he’ll end up on my roster. Unless it’s in the reserve round

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              I’m not even taking the chance this year that he’ll end up on my roster. Unless it’s in the reserve round
                              I would take Tulo right now for a buck.

We do have a reserve draft after the auction as well as $100 bucks of FAAB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                                I would take Tulo right now for a buck.
                                Under normal circumstances, I'd agree. I just think there's a lot of opportunity for profit at the MI positions in an AL-only this year, and I'd rather not plug my roster with an injury risk like Tulo.

Comment

Working...
                                X