No announcement yet.

2k13 NY Mets: Shea it Ain't So

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's one for you to chew on Met Fans...the two highest paid outfielders on the 2013 NY Mets are Jason Bay...and Bobby Bonilla. That is astonishingly bad financial management...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      Here's one for you to chew on Met Fans...the two highest paid outfielders on the 2013 NY Mets are Jason Bay...and Bobby Bonilla. That is astonishingly bad financial management...
      Remember, the only reason they gave Bonilla that ridiculous buyout is because they had "free" money coming in from Madoff, so they figured why not.

Only years later would it become clear why Wilpon went for the deferral: The $5.9 million went into a Madoff account, which was theoretically supposed to collect a double-digit interest rate over the life of the agreement. Only about an 8 percent return would have been needed to pay Bonilla his $1.2 million a year from 2011 to 2035. The Mets did the math and figured they'd be able to turn a $60-70 million profit on the arrangement.
      The Mets' cash troubles are epitomized by one man: Bobby Bonilla, who's due $1.19 million a year until he's 72. If only they had let the money-wise slugger manage their dough instead of Bernie Madoff.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        Remember, the only reason they gave Bonilla that ridiculous buyout is because they had "free" money coming in from Madoff, so they figured why not.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/78...-espn-magazine
        I repeat, astonishingly bad financial management. There is no such thing as free money, if it looks too good to be true, it usually is.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/78...-espn-magazine
          Interesting link within your link:

Manny Ramirez gets paid $32 million by Boston over 16 years (2011-2026).
          Ichiro gets paid by Seattle through 2032 (no $ amounts given).
          Ken Griffey Jr had $57.5 million in deferred salary still owed to him by Cincinnati after he retired (no terms given).
          Several other current players with $10-20 million deferred until after retirement.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

So lets talk about Valdenspin. Given the makeup of the team with a recently injured Murphy and well an OF that might have Marlon Byrd starting as a non roster invitee this guy could find 400 AB. Last year in 200 AB he had almost 10 Hr and 10 SB. In 2011 in two levels he had 17 HR and 33 SB. Seems like a nice dollar guy with upside.

Comment

Collins has said Marlon Byrd has a shot to be the regular right fielder, that makes a lot of sense for this team. I also like Andrew Brown who is clearly a long shot but one without a tremendous amount of competition.

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                So lets talk about Valdenspin. Given the makeup of the team with a recently injured Murphy and well an OF that might have Marlon Byrd starting as a non roster invitee this guy could find 400 AB. Last year in 200 AB he had almost 10 Hr and 10 SB. In 2011 in two levels he had 17 HR and 33 SB. Seems like a nice dollar guy with upside.
                Yes he does. Do you know he set the Mets record for most PH HRs last year with 5? Good power/speed player, but there are questions about his maturity and his glove. I imagine he'll start the year as a super-utility type, then hit his way into a semi-regular role. Frankly, I think he can be one of their best hitters and am targeting him in most of my drafts as a very-late round sleeper.

Comment

While I'm not a Mets fan by any stretch of the imagination, I think baseball is far more interesting when they are a competitive ball club. That stat about Bobby Bonilla being the 2nd highest paid OF for the Mets who last played for the team in 1999 is staggering.

A cautionary tale of how not to run a franchise.

Comment

It's criminal what the Wilpons have done and should be in jail. And yes the Mets may have the worst outfield ever put together on a major league baseball field, but there is one silver lining in that it can't get any worse. Or can it?

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
                      Collins has said Marlon Byrd has a shot to be the regular right fielder, that makes a lot of sense for this team. I also like Andrew Brown who is clearly a long shot but one without a tremendous amount of competition.
                      Do you actually believe this Big Jon?
                      I believe Collins is attempting to motivate some guys to step it up...

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                        Do you actually believe this Big Jon?
                        I believe Collins is attempting to motivate some guys to step it up...
                        Sure, Byrd has been a decent regular in the not so distant past. He certainly has a better track record than Cowgil and Baxter.

Comment

Why does Fred Wilpon still own this team?

The Citi Field outpost is Amway's first storefront in America.
                          On Saturday, Amway staged a grand opening (or "grand opening": it got no coverage, as far as I can tell) with the Amway sign just a few feet away from a Mets ticket booth.
                          Amway is a multilevel marketing opportunity, to use the euphemism, or a pyramid scheme, to use the terminology of its critics. Individuals sign up as "Independent Business Owners", or I.B.O.s, to sell an array of Amway products, buying them up front while simultaneously recruiting others to join Amway as well.

Comment

Shea it ain't so!:

According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, the Mets expect Johan Santana (shoulder) to begin the season on the disabled list.
                            Santana did some light throwing from a mound Sunday and looks stronger than he did in mid-February, but the expectation is that his season debut likely won't happen until around mid-April. The Mets are content to look in-house for his replacement, with Jeremy Hefner as the most likely candidate to fill in. Colin McHugh and Jenrry Mejia may also get consideration.
                            Source: New York Daily News Mar 5 - 9:48 AM

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              Shea it ain't so!:

According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, the Mets expect Johan Santana (shoulder) to begin the season on the disabled list.
                              Santana did some light throwing from a mound Sunday and looks stronger than he did in mid-February, but the expectation is that his season debut likely won't happen until around mid-April. The Mets are content to look in-house for his replacement, with Jeremy Hefner as the most likely candidate to fill in. Colin McHugh and Jenrry Mejia may also get consideration.
                              Source: New York Daily News Mar 5 - 9:48 AM
                              If he is really ready by mid-April, this probably just means one start for someone like Hefner due to all the off days early in the season.

Comment

What's the latest in this messy OF situation?
                                LF - Duda
                                CF - Valdespin/Cowgill (platoon) ?
                                RF - Byrd ?!

Comment

Working...
                                X