Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SenorSmoke View Post
    Perhaps you've already tried this but have you gently emailed the tech guy asking for a quick backup of the MySQL database?

I don't know any of the dynamics here but given the fact nobody from above seems to even have RJ on their radar (as witnessed by your ability to unilaterally turn off their site and direct everybody over here!) it may be that your tech guy pulls up a terminal, types "mysqldump RotoJunkie > rjbackup-01-26-11.sql" and your problem is solved.

You may have done this also but assuming you have admin privileges I think you can generate a mailing list of ALL vb users -- if nothing else I'd do this so you can send a single email blast on the day things go dark. I'm guessing a big percentage of users/lurkers won't be back until April.

Good luck with all of this!
    That is nearly word for word the email that I sent them 3 weeks ago. I do have the vb mailing list from the old site as well and will be sending that out.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
      That is nearly word for word the email that I sent them 3 weeks ago. I do have the vb mailing list from the old site as well and will be sending that out.
      Good enough. Hopefully they will understand you just want a database dump and nothing more -- even an existing export from their last automated backup. I know you're well aware there's a big difference between that and asking for "a copy of the site" (vb license, php code, themes, images/avatars, flash files, domain name, etc.) so hopefully you'll find the right guy at the right time and end up with a sql dump file. Fingers crossed . . .

Comment

Originally posted by SenorSmoke View Post
        Good enough. Hopefully they will understand you just want a database dump and nothing more -- even an existing export from their last automated backup. I know you're well aware there's a big difference between that and asking for "a copy of the site" (vb license, php code, themes, images/avatars, flash files, domain name, etc.) so hopefully you'll find the right guy at the right time and end up with a sql dump file. Fingers crossed . . .

Yep - I just asked for a dump of the db of content. In fact, the new hosting group is more than happy to do the entire transfer for me. I simply need temporary admin rights to the box so the script and transfer can be facilitated.

I will continue to plug away.....

Comment

I would like to see you turn on the Old RJ. I left some stuff in there.

I do not like being locked out of my old house.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

Disagree...keep it closed and make people come here and get comfortable. A lot less confusion with only one place to post/look. Time to move on folks...don't look back, something might be gaining on you.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

I receommend redoing the message on the old RJ page. At the moment it looks like an error message. Suggest a "WE HAVE MOVED!" heading or similar.

Just a thought.

Comment

For a chat, i highly recommend former Pirates post game radio show host Rocco DeMaro. This guy is extremely well informed on players at the Major and Minor league levels. He is a fantasy baseball geek like us and often talked sabermetric stats on his show. Not sure how well he knows minor leaguers from other teams, but his Pirates minor league knowledge is probably only second to the Pirates front office themselves. His Pirates post game radio show got better ratings than the actual games! He has quite a following among Pirates fans and will probably end up on another local radio station. I'm sure some of the other Pittsburgh RJers will back me up on this guy being a great chat guest.
                Last edited by madducks; 01-27-2011, 09:49 AM.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I'd like to be able to search it too ... maybe open it up but prevent anyone from being able to post?
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                    I'd like to be able to search it too ... maybe open it up but prevent anyone from being able to post?
                    I was thinking, worst case scenario, maybe some of us could save some of our favorite threads, classics or perpetually useful, to our hard drives and then when they are referenced over here we can at least post them as an attachment? I would think if you saved the printable versions they would be the smallest files.
                    Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                      I was thinking, worst case scenario, maybe some of us could save some of our favorite threads, classics or perpetually useful, to our hard drives and then when they are referenced over here we can at least post them as an attachment? I would think if you saved the printable versions they would be the smallest files.
                      I can think of worse case scenarios ...
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Good idea TranaGreg to open the old site for reference and just lock all of the threads so people have to post over here. And just keep the draft threads open until they are finished.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          Disagree...keep it closed and make people come here and get comfortable. A lot less confusion with only one place to post/look. Time to move on folks...don't look back, something might be gaining on you.
                          There was no warning. If you want to go down that road, just open it up, make an announcement that in one week it will be shut down. That way we have a chance to get what we want out of there.

No reason not to. It doesn't close until June. A week kills no one.

Comment

There was no warning. If you want to go down that road, just open it up, make an announcement that in one week it will be shut down. That way we have a chance to get what we want out of there.

No reason not to. It doesn't close until June. A week kills no one.
                            What do you want to get out of there? Is there info that you can't find anywhere else? There's also a good chance that any and all posts and threads are property of Fanball, so hijacking/moving them could end up causing problems for the very people who are working so hard to keep the online community that we have going.

Better to move ahead and grow the new place than to look wistfully back at what once was...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              What do you want to get out of there? Is there info that you can't find anywhere else? There's also a good chance that any and all posts and threads are property of Fanball, so hijacking/moving them could end up causing problems for the very people who are working so hard to keep the online community that we have going.

Better to move ahead and grow the new place than to look wistfully back at what once was...
                              Since there is no more Fanball, just who would be causing the problems?

Maybe I would just like to pick up a few things for my own files and memories. Maybe my memory isn't as good as it once was. Maybe it is a public site that isn't going to be shut down until June. I hardly think it will cause you any pain to not go back, but it does me. So why would you want to prevent me from doing that (for a week)? If it brings me a bit of joy, why would you deny me that? I also do not think I am the only one that might like to go back.

Plus he said he was only going to close it for 24 hours...36 hours ago.

Comment

Since there is no more Fanball, just who would be causing the problems?

Maybe I would just like to pick up a few things for my own files and memories. Maybe my memory isn't as good as it once was. Maybe it is a public site that isn't going to be shut down until June. I hardly think it will cause you any pain to not go back, but it does me. So why would you want to prevent me from doing that (for a week)? If it brings me a bit of joy, why would you deny me that? I also do not think I am the only one that might like to go back.

Plus he said he was only going to close it for 24 hours...36 hours ago.
                                First of all, there still is a Fanball, so they can cause problems if they wish to, and being a corporate entity, they might just do it for spite. Or they might do it because they think that there's some value in that property, or they might not be able to do it at all. The point is, why cause problems where they don't currently exist? We have a nice, new place here, with plenty of room to stretch out and grow some new memories. And if people want to relive the Pot Roast story, or Derek in NJ, or any of dozens of other threads, they can. They just can't access direct quotes.

I don't want to deny you anything, but I'm trying to get people to understand that there MIGHT be greater issues here than nostalgia...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X