Shandler's new format - "Rotisserie 500"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
    Umm, if you think Eric Chavez has less value than Neifi Perez then maybe you are looking for the sucker in the wrong place. Try the mirror

OK, then maybe if we have some kind of limit on the # of transactions the commish could manually add the salaries back in to FAAB when a player is dropped. The only thing that would be weird about doing it that way is that you'd have to drop the player BEFORE you bought their replacement. So drops would be Friday and pickups would be Sunday or something.

Otherwise we would have to do the unlimited FAAB honor/penalty system if we want drops to be tied to pickups.
    I think OnRoto has conditional drop situations when you FAAB players. I think someone outta approach them and ask them if they can handle FAAB this way. Could be good marketing for them to team up with Shandler and he can advertise that OnRoto can accommodate these leagues.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
      I think OnRoto has conditional drop situations when you FAAB players. I think someone outta approach them and ask them if they can handle FAAB this way. Could be good marketing for them to team up with Shandler and he can advertise that OnRoto can accommodate these leagues.
      Someone has....
      Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
        Someone has....
        I was hoping you might have. I assume you'll update us when the time is right.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

GOOD NEWS!!

OnRoto, run by the guys that ran the original TQ Stats will be happy to sponsor the league.

if your ring-leader can get in touch with me, we can coordinate.

And, if you want to try to keep it at 12 and want to recruit more players, I can hit up my board.

Comment

PRIZE?

Winner of the league gets a subscription to Rotowire or Baseball Prospectus (their choice) on the house.

Comment

GOOD NEWS!!

OnRoto, run by the guys that ran the original TQ Stats will be happy to sponsor the league.

And, if you want to try to keep it at 12 and want to recruit more players, I can hit up my board.
              By "ring leader" do you mean Jason, or do you mean one of us in the league? As a CBS user, and former TQStats user, I'm curious about using OnRoto and I guess I've sort of taken default point on this, though I welcome jc's help/co-commish efforts, and netboy47 also offered to help. So if you were referring to one of us, I guess I'll be one to coordinate with.

We currently have 12 confirmed and two who have showed interest but haven't confirmed, so I think we're all set to either go with 12 or 14, no more recruiting necessary.

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
              PRIZE?

Winner of the league gets a subscription to Rotowire or Baseball Prospectus (their choice) on the house.
              Thanks J, I'll probably go with BP.
              Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

GOOD NEWS!!

That's awesome. Thanks Lord Zola!

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Sorry, I should have been less vague.

If the person/people running the league can shot me a note, we can coordinate.

Comment

Sorry, I should have been less vague.

If the person/people running the league can shot me a note, we can coordinate.
                    I contacted Todd and he's going to get back to me when he has more info from OnRoto, but with running and prepping for my local leagues I'm going to need all the commish help I can get.

I PM'd Flyman to see if he is interested. He would be 13. SPF just made a comment, never really expressed interest, so I'm guessing he's not in. Thinking about it a little more, we should probably find a couple more guys who are interested at least as alternates in case someone can't "attend" the draft or just doesn't show up.
                    Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Comment

a minor request -- if someone who has bought premium access on baseball-reference.com and understands the play index tool could add a column to the pricing spreadsheet with positional eligibility, that would be nice. the constitution says that 15 games are required to qualify at a position, which is pretty nonstandard.

- Mike
                      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                        a minor request -- if someone who has bought premium access on baseball-reference.com and understands the play index tool could add a column to the pricing spreadsheet with positional eligibility, that would be nice. the constitution says that 15 games are required to qualify at a position, which is pretty nonstandard.

- Mike
                        Yeah, I prefer the traditional 20-game standard. Is this something we want to adjust, or do we want to adhere to Ron's rules as close as possible? I do have a spreadsheet with everyone's games played in 2010, I could pretty quickly do some sorting and provide a list of everyone with 15 games played at each position last season, but I've already done that for 20 games/most games so it would be even easier for me to provide a 20 games list of position eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                          Yeah, I prefer the traditional 20-game standard. Is this something we want to adjust, or do we want to adhere to Ron's rules as close as possible? I do have a spreadsheet with everyone's games played in 2010, I could pretty quickly do some sorting and provide a list of everyone with 15 games played at each position last season, but I've already done that for 20 games/most games so it would be even easier for me to provide a 20 games list of position eligibility.
                          I would think going with the 20-game standard would be easier to deal with. Not sure what Shandler's reasoning was for changing the standard.
                          "Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?"

"Sixty eight percent of Republicans don't believe in evolution. On the other hand, only five percent of monkeys believe in Republicans."
                          ---Stephen Colbert

2002 & 2010 HCBB Champion --- http://hcbb.info

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                            I need to think about it some more but I *think* the way to handle FAAB is this:

There really is no such thing as FAAB. Everyone basically has an unlimited amount of money to spend as long as they are under the cap. So FAAB in the traditional sense won't work. I get a $100 Pujols, I cut him, I buy a $100 A-Rod, I cut him, I buy a $100 Neifi Perez, I cut him, I buy a $100 Eric Chavez, etc. I have "spent" 400 dollars.

BUT the problem is that I don't think any stat site will be able to enforce the rule that your FAAB purchases can't put you over the cap. So it basically has to be the honor system (with penalties)

-Everyone gets a huge FAAB allocation (say 500)
                            -When you want a free agent you buy them
                            -Their salary is what you paid for them
                            -When the week starts you have to be under the cap
                            -First time you're not under the cap you get a warning, second time you lose the player you bought, 3rd time and beyond you lose your most expensive player

The alternative is to do it manually.

Everyone's FAAB is set after the auction/draft. Whenever someone drops a player the commish manually adds that salary to their FAAB budget. I wouldn't be opposed to this if we had a lot of people doing the managing, or if we limited transactions, but it's a lot of work. And the issue is that I'm not sure how to handle max bids (if we need to). In other words, if I only fill 33 spots at the draft, and I have $70 left over, can I spend all $70 on my 34th player? I assume that *IS* ok but I'm not 100% sure.
                            We should wait until we see what OnRoto comes up with to handle these leagues, but I think you nailed it right here, there's really no FAAB, or your remaining FAAB will be equivalent to your cap space. If I have $460 tied up on my roster, I can bid up to $40 for a free agent, plus the salary of the player I'm waiving, if I choose/need to do so.

Hopefully we can set the website such that a team is not able to exceed their cap. That way, if you only have $40 of cap space/FAAB budget when a player like Pujols hits the free agent pool for some reason, and you want to be able to bid $100 for him, you either have to tie it to the waiver of one of your $60 players, or prior to the free agent deadline, you might have to waive two $20 players, then tie the $100 FAAB bid for Pujols to one more $20 player ($40+$20+$20+$20). Sure, it sort of announces, "Looks like Chuck is clearing cap space to make a big bid on Pujols." but that's kind of a neat twist and the price you pay for almost maxing out your cap. I think it would add some strategy, and it doesn't require any additional commish bookkeeping when you waive a player. When you waive a player, your cap hit goes down, and your FAAB budget goes up. The cap space on your team page will always also be your FAAB budget.

Comment

Thanks to Todd and OnRoto for stepping up, and thanks to TopChuckie for grabbing point on this. Is there any indication if the software will be able to handle this FA bidding system? We might need to cook up something that separately tracks finances and bids ourselves. I can offer some programming for it it's what I do for a living and it's eternally more fun than my usual fare.

Comment

Originally posted by laron View Post
                                Thanks to Todd and OnRoto for stepping up, and thanks to TopChuckie for grabbing point on this. Is there any indication if the software will be able to handle this FA bidding system? We might need to cook up something that separately tracks finances and bids ourselves. I can offer some programming for it it's what I do for a living and it's eternally more fun than my usual fare.
                                I would think it shouldn't be tooooooo difficult. The biggest problem I would think is the Snake aspect for an auction draft. Otherwise I think you would just set up a regular auction draft with a $500 budget and when each owner nominates his player he opens the bidding at the Shandler price. Then he either gets him for that amount or someone uses one of their three overbids, which we will probably have to keep a count of separately.

Comment

Working...
                                X