No announcement yet.

Shandler's new format - "Rotisserie 500"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My take is you want to have as many top-36 players as possible, with the caveat my top-36 might not be your top-36. There are 3 ways to acquire one:

a. nominate and top
    b. nominate and have no bid up
    c. bid up and not have topped

While a is the only way to assure yourself of getting a top-36 guy, it hinders your chances to get more than 3 so there is a trade-off.

As we all saw, there were some players that fit b, especially towards the end. The trick is knowing who and when to call. As they say, all it takes is one other to like the guy.

The last one is a bit tricky and involved knowing the room like you need to do in a standard auction, with one exception -- if you have the high bid on a player nominated by someone with no toppers, he is yours.

I don't think there is a "right" way to balance the above. Each auction/draft will be different. But I do think you want to approach things with the intent on getting more than 3 top-36 players.

Having said that, the thing that would likely change if this same group drafted again was fewer non top-36 players would be bid up, even with the disclaimer that someone may have bid up someone they consider a top-36 guy but others did not.

Teixeira lasting so long blew my mind, especially with his hot start and a slight Yankee bias to the room. Same with Halladay to a lesser extent.
    Last edited by Todd Zola; 04-06-2011, 09:05 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
      Teixeira lasting so long blew my mind, especially with his hot start and a slight Yankee bias to the room. Same with Halladay to a lesser extent.
      I was so bummed by my Lincecum bid, I got caught up in the bidding and thought whoever was bidding would go higher. If I didn't do that I might have still had an overbid available for both Halladay and Teixeira. Oh well. It's not like I bought a bad player.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
        My take is you want to have as many top-36 players as possible, with the caveat my top-36 might not be your top-36. There are 3 ways to acquire one:

a. nominate and top
        b. nominate and have no bid up
        c. bid up and not have topped

While a is the only way to assure yourself of getting a top-36 guy, it hinders your chances to get more than 3 so there is a trade-off.

As we all saw, there were some players that fit b, especially towards the end. The trick is knowing who and when to call. As they say, all it takes is one other to like the guy.

The last one is a bit tricky and involved knowing the room like you need to do in a standard auction, with one exception -- if you have the high bid on a player nominated by someone with no toppers, he is yours.

I don't think there is a "right" way to balance the above. Each auction/draft will be different. But I do think you want to approach things with the intent on getting more than 3 top-36 players.

Having said that, the thing that would likely change if this same group drafted again was fewer non top-36 players would be bid up, even with the disclaimer that someone may have bid up someone they consider a top-36 guy but others did not.

Can you explain your thinking with regard to Jaso with the 3rd overall pick? Was he the best player you thought no one would overbid on? Isn't that kind of what you should hope to nominate while overbids still exist?

Tex in an OBP league without a bad April is possibly the best pick of the draft, but then again, I'm part of that "slight Yankee bias".

One thing this experience has confirmed for me, I hate drafting compared to auctioning, even with it softened a little with the overbid option. I just greatly prefer having a chance to get every player if I want him bad enough. ETA: I also like being able to use my nominations as bait in an auction where as in this system I feel like you are wasting an opportunity if you nominate a player and don't get him, though I guess that could be viewed as bait for the other owners' overbids. I guess nominating your 37th-40th-ish best players would either get you a nice player if no one overbids, while preserving your overbid, or increase your chances at a Top 36 player if someone burns an over bid on a 37+ player. But, nominating a stud insures you get him if you really want him.
        Last edited by TopChuckie; 04-06-2011, 09:30 AM.
        Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

• Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
          Can you explain your thinking with regard to Jaso with the 3rd overall pick? Was he the best player you thought no one would overbid on? Isn't that kind of what you should hope to nominate while overbids still exist?
          Honestly? I wanted to eff up the room and perhaps make others re-think their strategy on the fly, perhaps also trying to sneak through lesser players at a cheap price.

"If Zola is doing that, it must be a good strategy" sort of thing.

Ultimately, I did not care about value. So for everyone I got to make a value pick early, that ties up a roster spot and makes it that much more likely for me to get a better player, regardless of the cost.

Comment

One thing this experience has confirmed for me, I hate drafting compared to auctioning, even with it softened a little with the overbid option. I just greatly prefer having a chance to get every player if I want him bad enough.
            I completely agree. I'm wondering if this "experiment" would have been a little bit better with more overbids per team - maybe 5 or 6. That would kind of guarantee that the first 60-72 players wouldn't necessarily be rostered based on where you drafted. Even after the toppers were gone, there was still a ton of top talent available.

As it worked out, the timing of how the toppers were used was right for me. I was one of just three teams with toppers when I was able to pick Halladay...it was obvious that Teixeira was being sat on. So I felt that at my end of the turn (10th spot) and still having a topper, I was able to get three players instead of two (my two picks and my last topper).

What was interesting to me is how you had to make the decision as to whether you wanted to "waste" a topper bid when a potential bargain was brought out. It took a lot of self restraint to not bid $11 on Posey when he was selected. And as Todd said, I think the draft would go a little differently if we re-did it tonight.
            "Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?"

"Sixty eight percent of Republicans don't believe in evolution. On the other hand, only five percent of monkeys believe in Republicans."
            ---Stephen Colbert

2002 & 2010 HCBB Champion --- http://hcbb.info

Comment

• Originally posted by netboy47 View Post
              I completely agree. I'm wondering if this "experiment" would have been a little bit better with more overbids per team - maybe 5 or 6. That would kind of guarantee that the first 60-72 players wouldn't necessarily be rostered based on where you drafted. Even after the toppers were gone, there was still a ton of top talent available.

As it worked out, the timing of how the toppers were used was right for me. I was one of just three teams with toppers when I was able to pick Halladay...it was obvious that Teixeira was being sat on. So I felt that at my end of the turn (10th spot) and still having a topper, I was able to get three players instead of two (my two picks and my last topper).

What was interesting to me is how you had to make the decision as to whether you wanted to "waste" a topper bid when a potential bargain was brought out. It took a lot of self restraint to not bid $11 on Posey when he was selected. And as Todd said, I think the draft would go a little differently if we re-did it tonight.
              Couple comments...

At the NYC draft, the idea of more toppers was discussed. Also discussed was staggering them, something like 2 for the first 5 rounds, 2 for the next 5 rounds, then 2 more for the rest of the draft, or whatever.

I don't want to speak for Ron and his intentions with the format. I do know he is trying to come up with a viable auction/draft hybrid. What I told him was if the intent was to make it an "easier auction", I don't think it works. But if the intent is to make it a more strategic draft. as Charlie Sheen would say "WINNER".

Comment

Actually it's your pick in the other thread bb. http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...4834#post14834

ETA: Never mind, Todd picked Brett Anderson for you.

i believe todd is going to finish (or at least very close to) the whole draft. i'll have little time at work (starting in about 15 minutes i go into the meeting hell that wednesdays have become), and won't be online early enough tonight to contribute much, if anything at all.

todd will do an infinitely better job than i could have anyway! :O...
                "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• In addition to getting as many top-36 players as possible (I'd love to do an analysis of how many each team has) there is also one other thing that stands out for me> missed picks.

I 'drafted' G Soto, Tulo, and Kinsler and didn't wind up with any of them. So after about 12 rounds, I had less players than everyone else, even though I used my 3 toppers. It seems like you want to end up wit top-36 guys but you also want to end up with an extra player or two if you can swing it.

Comment

• I shared with Ron the hybrid auction we've done over the last 10 years, where you get 5 auction rounds and $100 and the rest is serp. Theres a lot more involved but he thought it was a great concept. Not sure if he is somehow thinking of incorporating it.
                    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                      I shared with Ron the hybrid auction we've done over the last 10 years, where you get 5 auction rounds and $100 and the rest is serp. Theres a lot more involved but he thought it was a great concept. Not sure if he is somehow thinking of incorporating it.
                      While this is not common set up, this is also not unique and can have some interesting implications in a keeper format.

Comment

• Can somebody post the current rosters. I tried several times, but it comes up so small in font, that the proverbial needle in the haystack is an easier find

Comment

• Sheet1 mjl - 1,joncarlos - 2,Todd Zola - 3,Marvin - 4,Daren - 5,Adam Standish - 6,Piney Boy - 7,Jon - 8,Hawks Nest - 9,steven - 10 $,max bid,$,max bid,$,max bid,$,max bid,$,max bid,$,max bid,$,max bid,$,max bid,$,max bid,$ 83,83,66,66,24,24,107,107,7,7,52,52,126,126,118,118,10,10,4 C,9,Santana, ...
                          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Here's the link to the Google spreadsheet:

Sheet1 mjl - 1,joncarlos - 2,Todd Zola - 3,Marvin - 4,Daren - 5,Adam Standish - 6,Piney Boy - 7,Jon - 8,Hawks Nest - 9,steven - 10 $,max bid,$,max bid,$,max bid,$,max bid,$,max bid,$,max bid,$,max bid,$,max bid,$,max bid,$ 83,83,66,66,24,24,107,107,7,7,52,52,126,126,118,118,10,10,4 C,9,Santana, ...

Comment

• Are we all able to edit the spreadsheet to update our rosters? Or does someone own access?
                              2021 Auction Anatomy
                              2021 Keeper Decisions
                              2020 Auction Anatomy
                              2020 Pre-Auction
                              2015 Auction Anatomy
                              2014 Auction Anatomy
                              2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                              RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• I think Steve is the only one who can edit the spreadsheet.

Comment

Working...
                                X