No announcement yet.

Shandler's new format - "Rotisserie 500"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry guys, the ship has sailed for me. We are coming into prime time draft season and I wont be able to allocate enough time to this.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I can be up for this depending on how the draft is done. This sounds like fun.
      Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

My league draft is April 2nd. I'd be interested, if we hold the draft any time after that. It would also depend on stat categories. (I too prefer WHIP over ERA, and see no reason to involve Holds for any reason. LOL)
        2021 Auction Anatomy
        2021 Keeper Decisions
        2020 Auction Anatomy
        2020 Pre-Auction
        2015 Auction Anatomy
        2014 Auction Anatomy
        2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
        RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
          Let me give it some thought. I'm a stickler for rules and I hate loopholes, so it might be a lot to get together between now and the season, along with our prep for our real leagues, but I'd be curious to try it out.

I have my own AL-only, and NL-only leagues, so I'd prefer a mixed league so it's that much more different for me, plus I think that would make for fewer rules, i.e. handling of players crossing over and whatnot.
          Seems to me that the best way to discover and eliminate loopholes would be to have a pilot league with some RJers just to try it out. Be competitive and try to win, but focus more on seeing how the league works and how it can be done better. Work out the kinks.
          Last edited by Flyman; 03-07-2011, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Just joined the site....Would be interested in "500" roto concept. Please keep us updated!

Comment

Originally posted by Flyman View Post
              Seems to me that the best way to discover and eliminate loopholes would be to have a pilot league with some RJers just to try it out. Be competitive and try to win, but focus more on seeing how the league works and how it can be done better. Work out the kinks.
              Are you saying you would be in Flyman?

-Who's In

1. joncarlos
              2. TopChuckie
              3. wannabegriffey
              4. BigJonEmpire
              5. mjl
              6. mgwiz22?
              7. gcstomp
              8. SPF?
              9. ThatRogue
              10. Flyman?
              11. Hawks Nest
              Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

I'd be interested...always looking for a new challenge.
                "Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?"

"Sixty eight percent of Republicans don't believe in evolution. On the other hand, only five percent of monkeys believe in Republicans."
                ---Stephen Colbert

2002 & 2010 HCBB Champion --- http://hcbb.info

Comment

Originally posted by netboy47 View Post
                  I'd be interested...always looking for a new challenge.
                  -Who's In

1. joncarlos
                  2. TopChuckie
                  3. wannabegriffey
                  4. BigJonEmpire
                  5. mjl
                  6. mgwiz22?
                  7. laron
                  8. SPF?
                  9. Piney Boy (Sorry I missed Piney Boy's show of interest.)
                  10. ThatRogue
                  11. Flyman?
                  12. Hawks Nest
                  13. netboy47
                  14. BuckyBuckner

Ok, if all the guys who were interested a few weeks ago are still interested, and all the question marks are in, then we have 12...?
                  Last edited by TopChuckie; 03-08-2011, 05:06 PM. Reason: Bolded New or Re-Confirmed
                  Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Comment

-Who's In

1. joncarlos
                    2. TopChuckie
                    3. wannabegriffey
                    4. BigJonEmpire
                    5. mjl
                    6. mgwiz22?
                    7. gcstomp
                    8. SPF?
                    9. ThatRogue
                    10. Flyman?
                    11. Hawks Nest
                    12. netboy47

Ok, if all the guys who were interested a few weeks ago are still interested, and all the question marks are in, then we have 12...?
                    If one of the question marks don't join let me know. I might be interested.
                    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                      If one of the question marks don't join let me know. I might be interested.
                      Wouldn't the league be better with more teams if we are using the entire mlb landscape?

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                        Wouldn't the league be better with more teams if we are using the entire mlb landscape?
                        Yeah, I was just coming back to say/adjust for that.

ETA: BTW, I'm taking that as your re-confirmation.

Comment

We still need to work some things out and most of it should probably wait until we know who all in definitely in, but in the interest of moving this along and not making it more of a chore than necessary, unless someone strongly objects, I think we should go with the following settings:

-Mixed League
                          -4x4 Stat categories:
                          * Home Runs
                          * Stolen Bases
                          * On Base Percentage
                          * Runs Produced (R + RBI - HR)
                          * Wins
                          * Strikeouts
                          * Earned Run Average
                          * (Saves + Holds - Blown Saves)
                          (I'm not really crazy about Shandler's categories either, but rather than going through a discussion and vote on new categories, since it's Ron's game, we should use his categories at least for this first go around. It will expedite the organization process, minimize unforeseen loopholes, and since we're using Shandler's dollar values which are based on those stat categories, it's probably best not to F with it.)

We'll still need to decide on a website that can handle these stats, free is probably best in case this falls apart at any point, so ESPN or Yahoo I guess? I'm willing to co-commish, as at this point in particular I can't take on the entire load because I commish my own two leagues, and I have never commished an ESPN or Yahoo league, only CBS and TQStats. So who wants to take the reins as far as website setup and roster input and whatnot?

Comment

When I expressed interest, in late january, I had more time. I cant swing this now. Please fill my slot.

Comment

I'm in. I vote for mixed, and free hosting as well. Vote for yahoo but am fine with ESPN if it's easier to setup. I can co-comish if it's Yahoo and help setup, don't know if you can swing those composite/calculated categories though. Am fine with leaving all other rules as outlined in article.

Comment

We still need to work some things out and most of it should probably wait until we know who all in definitely in, but in the interest of moving this along and not making it more of a chore than necessary, unless someone strongly objects, I think we should go with the following settings:

-Mixed League
                                -4x4 Stat categories:
                                * Home Runs
                                * Stolen Bases
                                * On Base Percentage
                                * Runs Produced (R + RBI - HR)
                                * Wins
                                * Strikeouts
                                * Earned Run Average
                                * (Saves + Holds - Blown Saves)
                                (I'm not really crazy about Shandler's categories either, but rather than going through a discussion and vote on new categories, since it's Ron's game, we should use his categories at least for this first go around. It will expedite the organization process, minimize unforeseen loopholes, and since we're using Shandler's dollar values which are based on those stat categories, it's probably best not to F with it.)

We'll still need to decide on a website that can handle these stats, free is probably best in case this falls apart at any point, so ESPN or Yahoo I guess? I'm willing to co-commish, as at this point in particular I can't take on the entire load because I commish my own two leagues, and I have never commished an ESPN or Yahoo league, only CBS and TQStats. So who wants to take the reins as far as website setup and roster input and whatnot?
                                Neither ESPN or Yahoo can handle two of the categories: Runs Produced and SV+HLD-BS. And looking at CBS, it appears that they can't handle it either. OnRoto has Runs Produced but not SV+HLD-BS, but from what everyone has said on this site, they'll customize to fit the exact needs of the league. However, it costs $100.

For free on ESPN, we could substitute OPS or Total Bases for Runs Produced and replace SV+HLD-BS with SV+HLD. ESPN also has Bill James' Runs Created as a category, but that might be hard to quantify.

Thoughts?
                                "Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?"

"Sixty eight percent of Republicans don't believe in evolution. On the other hand, only five percent of monkeys believe in Republicans."
                                ---Stephen Colbert

2002 & 2010 HCBB Champion --- http://hcbb.info

Comment

Working...
                                X