Shandler's new format - "Rotisserie 500"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
    I'd like to see the rules (and the list of dollar values if you have that). Thanks

Have you looked at onroto for the stat service? They are very customizable.
    I'll let you know what they say
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
      Is the set of rules you have the same as what is in the forecaster?

And thanks for making the effort, hopefully we get to give this format a shot.
      I have what Ron sent to those of us doing the public drafts. I'm not sure if there have been any tweaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
        I have what Ron sent to those of us doing the public drafts. I'm not sure if there have been any tweaks.
        I'll have a link to the rules please and thank you.

Comment

I'll have a link to the rules please and thank you.
          He attached them to an e-mail, if you PM me an e-mail addy, I can forward.

Comment

I('m still in, and I'd like a copy of the e-mail too. PM coming.

Comment

Sent a PM for the rules email as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
                I('m still in, and I'd like a copy of the e-mail too. PM coming.
                -Who's In

1. joncarlos
                2. TopChuckie
                3. wannabegriffey
                4. BigJonEmpire
                5. mjl
                6. mgwiz22
                7. laron

8. SPF?
                9. Piney Boy
                10. ThatRogue

11. Flyman?
                12. Hawks Nest
                13. netboy47
                14. BuckyBuckner

Still waiting on SPF and Flyman to confirm. In reading the rules Todd sent out, Shandler's prices are based on a 12-team mixed so I'm thinking if SPF and Flyman confirm, we'll stop at 14 teams and if we don't hear back from either of them in time, then we'll just go with the current 12.

I just read the rules and will discuss a few issues in a separate post.
                Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                  -Who's In

1. joncarlos
                  2. TopChuckie
                  3. wannabegriffey
                  4. BigJonEmpire
                  5. mjl
                  6. mgwiz22
                  7. laron

8. SPF?
                  9. Piney Boy
                  10. ThatRogue

11. Flyman?
                  12. Hawks Nest
                  13. netboy47
                  14. BuckyBuckner

Still waiting on SPF and Flyman to confirm. In reading the rules Todd sent out, Shandler's prices are based on a 12-team mixed so I'm thinking if SPF and Flyman confirm, we'll stop at 14 teams and if we don't hear back from either of them in time, then we'll just go with the current 12.

I just read the rules and will discuss a few issues in a separate post.
                  Where do we get a list of the salaries?

Comment

Where do we get a list of the salaries?
                    The article is at http://www.baseballhq.com/free/free110114.shtml

The list of salaries is at http://www.baseballhq.com/roto500.XLS
                    "Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?"

"Sixty eight percent of Republicans don't believe in evolution. On the other hand, only five percent of monkeys believe in Republicans."
                    ---Stephen Colbert

2002 & 2010 HCBB Champion --- http://hcbb.info

Comment

Some Official Roto 500 Rules Issues:

The process is repeated, with successive team owners acquiring players, until every team has drafted enough players to complete their 23-man active roster by requisite position. This need not be completed within a team’s first 23 picks. The draft proceeds into the reserve rounds and continues until no more owners have an interest in filling slots on their reserve rosters.
                      Because eventually at some point some teams will have filled their active roster and are now interested in reserves, while others are still filling their active spots, I take this to mean the active and reserve draft is intertwined and an owner can nominate/draft any player at any time, regardless of whether that player is currently eligible for an active roster spot, i.e. if a DL'd player, minor leaguer, foreign player, etc. is put on the table any team may over bid, even if the team has open active roster spots, and if that team wins the bid they place the player on reserve and continue attempting to fill their active roster. For example, if i have the very first draft pick/nomination rights, I could put up "Bryce Harper, $10", and whoever wins puts him in a reserve spot, and on to the second nomination.

Setting up a FAAB system online seems unlikely, considering SOME sites can't even get set up properly for a traditional FAAB system :mad:. These rules answered one of my previous questions that you do get reimbursed the salary of any player you cut. I think that's how it should be, but it also creates what seems like quite a bookkeeping chore for the commish(es) if the website is not able to track it.

When a player is released to the free-agent pool, the team reclaims the player salary to his budget. For example, if Albert Pujols was won in a draft day auction at $65 and subsequently released to the free-agent pool for any reason, the owning team frees up that $65 in its $500 budget to spend on either free-agents or other player acquisitions (e.g. trades).

(In the above example, subsequent free agent bidding on Pujols would open at $65.)
                      The good thing about this is that you never have to worry about completely running out of money and not being able to replace injuries, it just forces you to cut enough salary to acquire the replacement(s) you desire. But, it also raises the issue of if a player with a salary like Pujols' is cut, it costs at least that $65 to acquire him as a FA (more if you bid higher to beat out your potential competition), due to salary cap issues, this could require you to cut multiple players to make cap room for Pujols salary, thus presenting another issue for the website's FAAB design, i.e. acquire one player while waiving multiple. Granted, we could state you only have to designate one player as your waiver to make roster space, and then in the wake of winning the FAAB you would have to cut additional players to make cap space.

At the end of the rules it says all must attend the draft in person, obviously that doesn't apply for us, just in person online.
                      Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Comment

I need to think about it some more but I *think* the way to handle FAAB is this:

There really is no such thing as FAAB. Everyone basically has an unlimited amount of money to spend as long as they are under the cap. So FAAB in the traditional sense won't work. I get a $100 Pujols, I cut him, I buy a $100 A-Rod, I cut him, I buy a $100 Neifi Perez, I cut him, I buy a $100 Eric Chavez, etc. I have "spent" 400 dollars.

BUT the problem is that I don't think any stat site will be able to enforce the rule that your FAAB purchases can't put you over the cap. So it basically has to be the honor system (with penalties)

-Everyone gets a huge FAAB allocation (say 500)
                        -When you want a free agent you buy them
                        -Their salary is what you paid for them
                        -When the week starts you have to be under the cap
                        -First time you're not under the cap you get a warning, second time you lose the player you bought, 3rd time and beyond you lose your most expensive player

The alternative is to do it manually.

Everyone's FAAB is set after the auction/draft. Whenever someone drops a player the commish manually adds that salary to their FAAB budget. I wouldn't be opposed to this if we had a lot of people doing the managing, or if we limited transactions, but it's a lot of work. And the issue is that I'm not sure how to handle max bids (if we need to). In other words, if I only fill 33 spots at the draft, and I have $70 left over, can I spend all $70 on my 34th player? I assume that *IS* ok but I'm not 100% sure.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                          I need to think about it some more but I *think* the way to handle FAAB is this:

There really is no such thing as FAAB. Everyone basically has an unlimited amount of money to spend as long as they are under the cap. So FAAB in the traditional sense won't work. I get a $100 Pujols, I cut him, I buy a $100 A-Rod, I cut him, I buy a $100 Neifi Perez, I cut him, I buy a $100 Eric Chavez, etc. I have "spent" 400 dollars.

BUT the problem is that I don't think any stat site will be able to enforce the rule that your FAAB purchases can't put you over the cap. So it basically has to be the honor system (with penalties)

-Everyone gets a huge FAAB allocation (say 500)
                          -When you want a free agent you buy them
                          -Their salary is what you paid for them
                          -When the week starts you have to be under the cap
                          -First time you're not under the cap you get a warning, second time you lose the player you bought, 3rd time and beyond you lose your most expensive player
                          The alternative is to do it manually.

Everyone's FAAB is set after the auction/draft. Whenever someone drops a player the commish manually adds that salary to their FAAB budget. I wouldn't be opposed to this if we had a lot of people doing the managing, or if we limited transactions, but it's a lot of work. And the issue is that I'm not sure how to handle max bids (if we need to). In other words, if I only fill 33 spots at the draft, and I have $70 left over, can I spend all $70 on my 34th player? I assume that *IS* ok but I'm not 100% sure.
                          Hard core baby, I like it!!!

Comment

This league is gonna be like taking candy from a baby! And I'M the homer?

I think it's ok, as long as you can legally fill your 23 active spots, you can run out of cap space with 23 to 40 total players.

Comment

This league is gonna be like taking candy from a baby! And I'M the homer?
                              Umm, if you think Eric Chavez has less value than Neifi Perez then maybe you are looking for the sucker in the wrong place. Try the mirror

I think it's ok, as long as you can legally fill your 23 active spots, you can run out of cap space with 23 to 40 total players.
                              OK, then maybe if we have some kind of limit on the # of transactions the commish could manually add the salaries back in to FAAB when a player is dropped. The only thing that would be weird about doing it that way is that you'd have to drop the player BEFORE you bought their replacement. So drops would be Friday and pickups would be Sunday or something.

Otherwise we would have to do the unlimited FAAB honor/penalty system if we want drops to be tied to pickups.

Comment

A couple more things from my review of the rules, minimal as it was:

I don't think there's an auction site out there that can handle this (does anyone allow for a snake auction?) so we'll probably have to use a Skype call and a Google Doc or something like that.

Someone else already noticed the 12-team pricing, so that's good.

Are we planning to structure this as a keeper league?

- Mike
                                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                                X