No announcement yet.

Shandler's new format - "Rotisserie 500"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just give me two weeks notice of the draft. I will take off on that day other than the March 26th which I have a draft that day and will be going out with the wife and some friends.
    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

• From ThatRogue's post, I believe he is only able to draft after the season begins, correct me if I'm wrong. So the first question is, are we willing to draft after the season begins?

If so, then how about we plan Tuesday, April 5, 8 PM EST and Wednesday, April 6, 8 PM EST with the intent to do it all Tuesday, but have Wednesday available if it takes too long. How does that sound, taking into consideration the various possible time zones?

If we don't want to draft after the season begins, then I believe ThatRogue has to pass and that makes room for TranaGreg, however, I have not heard back from Flyman or SPF so I believe there is room for TranaGreg either way. We should end up somewhere between 12 and 14 teams.

This is the part I hate most about commishing, trying to coordinate draft dates, so any and all help would be appreciated.
      Last edited by TopChuckie; 03-14-2011, 02:19 PM.
      Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

• Week nights are good for me, before or after the season starts is fine. My weekends of March 26-27 and April 2-3 are full with drafts so obviously week nights are best.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
          From ThatRogue's post, I believe he is only able to draft after the season begins, correct me if I'm wrong. So the first question is, are we willing to draft after the season begins?

If so, then how about we plan Tuesday, April 5, 8 PM EST and Wednesday, April 6, 8 PM EST with the intent to do it all Tuesday, but have Wednesday available if it takes too long. How does that sound, taking into consideration the various possible time zones?

If we don't want to draft after the season begins, then I believe ThatRogue has to pass and that makes room for TranaGreg, however, I have not heard back from Flyman or SPF so I believe there is room for TranGreg either way. We should end up somewhere between 12 and 14 teams.

This is the part I hate most about commishing, trying to coordinate draft dates, so any and all help would be appreciated.
          That is fine TC. I will get those nights off for that week.
          Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Works for me

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
            Thanks for all you've done to get this thing off the ground. I am more than willing to help out in any way possible.
            "Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?"

"Sixty eight percent of Republicans don't believe in evolution. On the other hand, only five percent of monkeys believe in Republicans."
            ---Stephen Colbert

2002 & 2010 HCBB Champion --- http://hcbb.info

Comment

• April 5th and 6th work for me. Let me know if we want to set up a WebEx test run during the next couple of weeks.
              2021 Auction Anatomy
              2021 Keeper Decisions
              2020 Auction Anatomy
              2020 Pre-Auction
              2015 Auction Anatomy
              2014 Auction Anatomy
              2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
              RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• I have been reading the rules a little more closely, a couple of quick questions jump out at me:

1. What happens to keeper prices. The original HQ post and the MSWord constitution differ in how prices for keepers are handled (always revert to 2-yr average VS price player was bought at during draft/auction). What would we use?

2. Just to triple-check, there is no type of inning or games played high/low limits right?

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by laron View Post
                  I have been reading the rules a little more closely, a couple of quick questions jump out at me:

1. What happens to keeper prices. The original HQ post and the MSWord constitution differ in how prices for keepers are handled (always revert to 2-yr average VS price player was bought at during draft/auction). What would we use?

2. Just to triple-check, there is no type of inning or games played high/low limits right?

Thanks
                  1. I think we'd go with the Word version.

Keeper player salaries will be determined by the higher of (1) the upcoming season’s list price as calculated by Baseball HQ, or (2) the auction price for the player in the preceding year’s draft.
                  2. I'd vote for the standard 4250 AB and 900 IP minimum requirements as I'm not a fan of strategies that take advantage of quirky rule loopholes. No upper limits.
                  Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Comment

1. I think we'd go with the Word version.

2. I'd vote for the standard 4250 AB and 900 IP minimum requirements as I'm not a fan of strategies that take advantage of quirky rule loopholes. No upper limits.
                    That sounds fine to me on the limits. On keeper prices, while I'm fine with going with the word version, the wording of that seems to me to be a little incomplete. What happens to keepers after the first year they're kept? There won't be a "auction price for the player in the preceding year’s draft" to compare to, since he would not have been in the draft after that first year being kept. Do then all keepers eventually default to the standard 2-yr avg price point? Or do they keep the original keeper price (higher between the two options that first year) forever?

Comment

• Originally posted by laron View Post
                      That sounds fine to me on the limits. On keeper prices, while I'm fine with going with the word version, the wording of that seems to me to be a little incomplete. What happens to keepers after the first year they're kept? There won't be a "auction price for the player in the preceding year’s draft" to compare to, since he would not have been in the draft after that first year being kept. Do then all keepers eventually default to the standard 2-yr avg price point? Or do they keep the original keeper price (higher between the two options that first year) forever?
                      I am almost certain there is a 'new' price each season.

Comment

• I would think that for subsequent seasons, the wording would change as follows:

Keeper player salaries will be determined by the higher of (1) the upcoming season’s list price as calculated by Baseball HQ, or (2) the keeper price for the player in the preceding year.

But that is just off the top of my head. I could be thinking about it the wrong way.
                        2021 Auction Anatomy
                        2021 Keeper Decisions
                        2020 Auction Anatomy
                        2020 Pre-Auction
                        2015 Auction Anatomy
                        2014 Auction Anatomy
                        2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                        RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• I think the keeper salary would always be the higher of either the current salary or the two year average. If you get a guy in the draft for $55 and he has a crappy year, or even just a $45 year, you don't get to keep him for less than $55. If he had a $45 season but you decide to keep him at $55 and then he has another $45 season, he would still be $55 if you wanted to keep him again, not $45.

The next question is, are there any limits on how many times you can keep a player or are there any contracts. I think the answer is no.

Comment

• I just emailed Todd for an update regarding OnRoto. Assuming that all comes together, we're shooting for our draft next Tuesday, April 5, with a spillover to Wednesday if necessary.

If possible, I think we should try ThatRogue's WebEx system this week to make sure we are all able to get up and running and to discuss any remaining issues we need to hammer out. ThatRogue, do you mind taking point on that?

-League Name

The Rotojunkie 500 Club

-League Type

Mixed, and we have decided to use Shandler's stats assuming OnRoto is going to accommodate them.

-Who's In

1. joncarlos
                            2. TopChuckie
                            3. wannabegriffey
                            4. BigJonEmpire
                            5. mjl
                            6. mgwiz22
                            7. laron
                            8. Piney Boy
                            9. ThatRogue
                            10. Hawks Nest
                            11. netboy47
                            12. BuckyBuckner
                            13. TranaGreg

14. Flyman?
                            14. SPF?

If anyone else is interested, please speak up, as I would not be surprised if an owner or two winds up not making it to the draft, so we certainly could use a few alternates to insure we maintain at least 12 teams.

-League Website

OnRoto
                            Website Wish List:
                            1. Restrict owners from exceeding the $500 salary cap, this will automatically set everyone's max FAAB bid. It might also complicate trading though, where if you attempt to make a trade that exceeds your cap, your trade will have to be pending the waiver of enough salary to make your cap legal. In my leagues, I typically require commish approval for trades, not to judge fairness, just to avoid a trade that leaves a team with an illegal roster. Perhaps that would be the way to handle this league. Trades would be submitted for commish approval, as long as both teams remain under the cap and have all their requisite positions filled, the trade is approved. If the trade exceeds the cap, or leaves a team with an empty position, then the commish will contact the owner for additional transactions.
                            2. I think one page that shows everyone's cap space would be especially useful in this league, but certainly not a requirement as long as each team's team page provides this information.
                            3. Dollar Values based on our league's stat categories.
                            4. ... I'll add our additional suggestions/needs here.

-Money

Thanks to Todd and OnRoto, it doesn't look like we will have a website cost and Jason has offered up a subscription to Rotowire or Baseball Prospectus for the winner, so I don't think we need to collect any money. If this takes off, perhaps we can play for higher stakes next season.

-How/when do we hold the draft?

Tuesday, April 5, 8:00 PM Eastern (and Wednesday, April 6th, 8 PM, if necessary) via WebEx. WebEx trial run one night this week.

-Do we use Shandler's List or other?

We are using Shandler's List: http://www.baseballhq.com/roto500.XLS

-Are we a Keeper league?

Assume we will be a keeper league and draft and trade accordingly.

-Draft Procedure

Draft will be intertwined, draft whoever, whenever you want, as long as you are able to fill out your requisite 23-man active roster with players on a MLB 25-man roster and not on the DL, and you do not exceed $500 total salary.

What other issues must we decide on?
                            Last edited by TopChuckie; 03-29-2011, 07:42 AM.

Comment

• Refresh me on the rules for nominating players for auction (ie someone says Heyward for $1 and I want him to be auctioned) - you're allowed to BUY 3 players above their Shandler price, or you're allowed to NOMINATE 3 players for auction?

Either way we'll have to keep track of that manually.

Comment

• When it's your turn, you would "Draft" Heyward at his Shandler value of $18. If no one overbids, you get Heyward for $18. If someone overbids, you allow the bidding to end, say three other owners bid Heyward up to $27, then, as the nominating owner, you are given the option to "top" that final bid and take Heyward for $28. If you do take Heyward for $28, he counts as one of your 3 overbids. If you allow the owner who bid $27 to have Heyward, he would count as one of that owner's 3 overbids.

There is no limit to the number of players you can nominate/draft, as long as you have open roster spots, but you can only win the overbidding on 3 players, regardless of whether or not you nominated the player.

Yes, we will have to keep track of everyone's overbids manually. When bidding completes we'll just announce, "that was jc's 2nd overbid, he has one left." and tick it off on our draft sheets.
                                Last edited by TopChuckie; 03-29-2011, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X