*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Well, I tried to give Big Star a chance. Meh, they're okay I guess.
    I've tried several times and it's never worked for me.
    One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• And he takes the lead! Even though Station to Station is probably my 4th favorite of his 70s albums, I listen to it regularly.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
        This all started because of my comment about Welfare Mothers. Apologies.

This is also what happens when there's been no pick for a while. I can never keep track of Johnny's hours, is he asleep now?
        All in good fun!!
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
          Well, each person's definition of "notable" is different, but I don't have any pure singles-plus-filler albums on my list, and it still has well more than 25 entries.
          Sure, but they could all go in Round 9.

Comment

• Love the Stranglers, I have a different LP on my list.

'The Yes Album' was one of 4 possibilities for them, I can't make up my mind which one I like best. Save the pick for last.

Is that 3 Skynyrds now? Interesting that no other southern rock has been taken (Creedence doesn't count).
            One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              One time i did gather enough nerve to venture down the street and peek around the corner of a garage and watch a band playing...but i got scared and ran home.....
              It was probably Wire.
              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• This one live album rule sucks, we're going to have to allow one more if we go 25.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Listened to the Wire tracks. Like most punk (or whatever genre they are grouped with) it's good, but i just don't agree that it is brilliant. Not taking a shot at it, as i think it is good stuff, but not anything special. Obviously brilliance is in the ear of the beholder.

Maybe there is so much crappy punk out there that this is indeed brilliant in the punk genre?
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Wire had large loyal UK following - it wasnt as big here - except among critics

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                      Wire had large loyal UK following - it wasnt as big here - except among critics
                      I know about them, know some of their songs, but they were never huge here, well not during the time I was growing up ... not like The Sex Pistols, Clash, Buzzcocks, Jam, Siouxsie and the Banshees. They are a band who seem to have slowly garnered more and more attention for their late 70's work since the 1990's.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        This one live album rule sucks, we're going to have to allow one more if we go 25.
                        Maybe we can re-evaluate after 15.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                          Maybe we can re-evaluate after 15.
                          I'm just torn between 4 (as of this moment). Go with a band I got shut out on? Or take an artist that hasn't even been selected yet with multiple studio albums on my list?
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                            A pretty amazing band that gave birth to power pop and influenced countless number of bands, like R.E.M. and Teenage Fanclub?
                            The Beatles gave birth to power pop. Other '60s bands like The Zombies, The Turtles, The Animals, the Beach Boys, even Chilton's prior band The Box Tops, and many others, ran with it. Many 1960s Garage Bands are also considered to be power pop. Perhaps Big Star influenced a few later bands with their style of power pop, but even if you look at that period in the early 1970s, groups like Badfinger, the Raspberries, Three Dog Night, it was already rampant.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                              Wire had large loyal UK following - it wasnt as big here - except among critics
                              I had never heard them until last year. They kept popping up on all kinds "Best Of" lists, so I gave Pink Flag a try, and boy, am I glad I did. It's amazing. They have two more eligible albums that are a bit synth-ier and new-wavey, but just as good, so it's not too late to get on the Wire train!
                              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                                I had never heard them until last year. They kept popping up on all kinds "Best Of" lists, so I gave Pink Flag a try, and boy, am I glad I did. It's amazing. They have two more eligible albums that are a bit synth-ier and new-wavey, but just as good, so it's not too late to get on the Wire train!
                                Pick-panderer.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X