*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
    I'm guessing Mith hasn't heard of at least 2/3 of the bands mentioned. But he wasn't going to take them anyway.
    Yeah given that i have a sheltered music life you would think so !!
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      You guys need to get a room with Bowie....Geez.....
      7 already ... I'm predicting that my Neil Young dominance prediction might be a little off.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        Yeah it was a nice gesture by Gaffer .... but let's face it ... I don't think anyone is this draft would ask for it back. Chance was never going to ask Gaffer to give it up. Even Mith wouldn't ask for his favourite Rush record back in a similar situation
        Why do so many posts reference me?
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
          I think David Bowie live albums, being the apotheosis of all music, should not count as either David Bowie albums or live albums, but should be a special category unto themselves, and everyone should be required to have at least two of them on their roster.
          True. If you worship at the altar of Bowie. If you do not, then pfffffftttttt on Bowie!

Comment

Why do so many posts reference me?
            I needed an example of a drafter who has an extreme liking for one particular band to make the point.

Who else could I pick?

Comment

I needed an example of a drafter who has an extreme liking for one particular band to make the point.

Who else could I pick?
              Ummmmm..ok!

Comment

• I am pretty insane about Neil Young, but my level of insanity about Neil Young relative to the insanity of others in this draft about Neil Young isn't as great as Mith's insanity about Rush relative to the insanity of others in this draft about Rush. Same with DMT/Bowie, Sheep/Stones, etc. Thus "Mith = insane about Rush" is our go-to trope.

Did that make sense?
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                  Yeah, seriously. A few from my list, not surprising with my love of power pop.

Revo, I get what you are saying, and you are probably right. I guess for me, I've always felt that Big Star defined power pop in what we think about today. I still think the Beatles are more of a pop band but I see what the guy from allmusic is saying.
                  Hey, don't get me wrong -- I like Big Star. I liked Alex Chilton in the Box Tops. I like Chris Bell's solo work. I think they got a raw deal. I just think that if others were around at the same time doing the same thing, then it had to come from someplace else. I think it's cool REM is influenced by them, because if they weren't, then we may never have heard of Big Star.

Comment

You have that backwards. I was afraid to go see the garage bands, so if they were playing i wouldn't have seen them. Keep up if you're going to make fun of me
                    Dammit. I'm off my game today.
                    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      I am pretty insane about Neil Young, but my level of insanity about Neil Young relative to the insanity of others in this draft about Neil Young isn't as great as Mith's insanity about Rush relative to the insanity of others in this draft about Rush. Same with DMT/Bowie, Sheep/Stones, etc. Thus "Mith = insane about Rush" is our go-to trope.

Did that make sense?
                      No, because I have not and am not taking any Rolling Stones albums.
                      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                        Hey, don't get me wrong -- I like Big Star. I liked Alex Chilton in the Box Tops. I like Chris Bell's solo work. I think they got a raw deal. I just think that if others were around at the same time doing the same thing, then it had to come from someplace else. I think it's cool REM is influenced by them, because if they weren't, then we may never have heard of Big Star.
                        It's all good. I'm glad you posted that little history lesson. I even picked Chris Bell's album in the 80s/90s draft.
                        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• I really like the two bands often cited as indebted to Big Star: REM and Teenage Fanclub. But they've never clicked with me. I will keep trying though. It doesn't makes sense that I don't love that band. I'm sure the stars will align one day.

Comment

I think David Bowie live albums, being the apotheosis of all music, should not count as either David Bowie albums or live albums, but should be a special category unto themselves, and everyone should be required to have at least two of them on their roster.
                            I IM'd this to a friend and here was his reply:

wow. that's intense. were bowie shows that good?
                            or is the guy just nuts about bowie
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I really like the two bands often cited as indebted to Big Star: REM and Teenage Fanclub. But they've never clicked with me. I will keep trying though. It doesn't makes sense that I don't love that band. I'm sure the stars will align one day.
                              And when they do, it'll be big. Very big.
                              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

And when they do, it'll be big. Very big.
                                The aligning stars will be big you say?

Comment

Working...
                                X