*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to make you guys feel old:

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd (1973) - 1995 - started digging deep into classic rock in high school
    Loaded - The Velvet Underground (1970) - 2000/2014 - first started listening to various VU songs around the same time I started getting into indie rock in college, didn't hear the whole album until we started this draft
    After the Goldrush - Neil Young (1970) - 1996/1999/2014 - bought his greatest hits when I got into classic rock, downloaded some deeper cuts in college when Napster became a thing, didn't hear the whole album until we started this draft
    Sheer Heart Attack - Queen (1974) - 2003/2014 - my summer roommate played some Queen songs I'd never heard before which got me to download more of their stuff, didn't hear the whole album until we started this draft
    Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel (1970) - 1992/2014 - I grew up on oldies so I've been familiar with S&G for a long time, didn't hear the whole album until we started this draft
    Aladdin Sane - David Bowie (1973) - 2012 (or whenever the Bowie draft was) - didn't know any songs off this album until I prepped for the Bowie draft
    Pearl - Janis Joplin (1971) - 1993/2014 - knew the hits and I'm pretty sure my parents had the vinyl, but didn't hear the whole album until we started this draft

Comment

• 1.03 - Blind Faith

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Given all the Costello love, I was wondering when the first Joe Jackson album would go. There's another singer/songwriter from that era/genre that I'm surprised hasn't been picked yet.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• 1.04 Roman Polanski

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            I find it very interesting to know when you first listened to each album you are picking. Will anyone else find that interesting?
            I'd rather not answer that question....as some of you might just roll your eyes.
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
              Time to make you guys feel old:

Loaded - The Velvet Underground (1970) - 2000/2014 - first started listening to various VU songs around the same time I started getting into indie rock in college, didn't hear the whole album until we started this draft
              Not old, just annoyed that someone who'd never heard this until last week stole my pick!
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                The hell is wrong with Mr. Jackson?
                He's a rabid libertarian? (Probably would be a Tea Partier if he were American)

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  Given all the Costello love, I was wondering when the first Joe Jackson album would go. There's another singer/songwriter from that era/genre that I'm surprised hasn't been picked yet.

Aw for dog gon don! HUGE fan of Joe Jackson. His bassist Graham Maby - is one of the best bassists of the era. JJ is a fantastic songwriter and supremely talented musician. I listen to his big band album regularly. And talk about a guy with values - he moved out of NYC because of all the smoking restrictions. Ha! Guy loves to smoke.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                    Ha! Guy loves to smoke.
                    Hell, he even wrote about it in 1982 with "Cancer."

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      I needed an example of a drafter who has an extreme liking for one particular band to make the point.

Who else could I pick?
                      Uuuhhhhhhh......hello???
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                        Given all the Costello love, I was wondering when the first Joe Jackson album would go. There's another singer/songwriter from that era/genre that I'm surprised hasn't been picked yet.

There actually are two

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                          7.12 - Look Sharp - Joe Jackson (1979)

always considered second to Elvis but his breadth of styles id quite impressive - and the quality of this video is awesome
                          Dammit Swampy. I had this one on my list, though probably around the 19th round. He was pretty great. But that song isn't on Look Sharp!

Here you go, one of my favorites from the album:

I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                            I'm afraid to share our draft banter with other people, lest they think we're all insane.
                            I tend to share Friar's posts directed at me with my wife. She understands how proud I am to get those reactions, though she doesn't understand WHY.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                              Uuuhhhhhhh......hello???
                              Prince is good I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                                There actually are two
                                I didn't know that I was surprised that there were two.

But now that I think about it, there are two. I don't know if they're the same as your two.

Comment

Working...
                                X