No announcement yet.

*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I picked Sabbath in the festival draft, definitely a 1st-round worthy pick.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• "Paranoid" was in my top 10. Great pick. "Fairies Wear Boots" kills it!!
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I tried inviting Gregg via PM but his box was full. I'm pretty sure this would be right up his alley.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
          The one Led Zeppelin song I truly don't like - they should've just left it off the album
          Hahaha.. I LOVE "Boogie With Stu"
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Some nice choices since my pick. Figures Physical Graffiti wouldn't make it out of the first round, and Who's Next falling to 12, wow, that's impressive. I thought I had a big backlog of what I was going to choose, and I think it'll all be gone by round 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
              sheep? bitch

eldiablo? bitch

I'm sure there will be more to come as we crawl slowly towards the end of Round One.

On the money with the LIB/Naked comment. We knew from the GJ I and the GJ II bootlegs that it would be a better album without the "wall of sound".

There are probably ten or twelve I would be happy to get as my first pick...you guys please leave me one.

Chancellor...thanks for the sympathy. The hell of it is that my sucky job is a thousand miles from home. The stars aren't right.
              I can relate. I was eight on site, four in the office and two off.

And sheep will probably bitch us most of the draft.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                Every pick thus far but Thin Lizzy was under consideration for my 1st pick. I'll reiterate, this is going to be a blood bath.
                Well, don't blame me, I voted for Kodos!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheGaffer View Post
                  Some nice choices since my pick. Figures Physical Graffiti wouldn't make it out of the first round, and Who's Next falling to 12, wow, that's impressive. I thought I had a big backlog of what I was going to choose, and I think it'll all be gone by round 3.
                  Yeah, I hear that. I have an artist list maybe 130 long, and now I'm thinking my end round picks may be "Ethel Merman Sings Disco" or a Bill Shatner spoken word album.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Yeah, I hear that. I have an artist list maybe 130 long, and now I'm thinking my end round picks may be "Ethel Merman Sings Disco" or a Bill Shatner spoken word album.
                    His 2005 follow-up Has Been was excellent, I just saw a documentary about it a few nights ago.
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      His 2005 follow-up Has Been was excellent, I just saw a documentary about it a few nights ago.
                      I heard clips from his new "progressive" album and it was pretty brutal

Comment

• I'd rather have Disco Duck than Ethel Merman Sings Disco. I think.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                          Hahaha.. I LOVE "Boogie With Stu"
                          So do I! Every song's a frickin' winner on side 4.

I also predicted ElD's Sabbath pick earlier, but I think he mentioned it as his favorite once in another draft...
                          One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post

130 artists!! WOW. I have a list of about 30 albums....

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                              130 artists!! WOW. I have a list of about 30 albums....
                              Just went down my iTunes list and spreadsheeted the notables. There are many who probably won't make the cut-- their hits were spread across too many albums-- but for now they're on my list.

Comment

• It's strange that I never got into Sabbath. They were British, they were weird, a favorite of wasters worldwide, loud as hell... yet I never got into them.

I think the comic book occult thing they did turned me off. The devil was big in the early 70s, with the Exorcist and all that, and Black Sabbath used to wear capes and giant crosses and were ugly to boot. And their album covers were crappy:

It's a classic and deserving of its 1st round pick, but what the hell is up with that cover.
                                One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

Working...
                                X