*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
    Pavement is probably the band I was most surprised got skunked. Well, kind of surprised - I seem to remember they are not a favorite in these parts. I realize they suffer from Indie Sacred Cow Backlash Syndrome, but they were a pretty influential band back in the day, and have several worthy albums to choose from.
    That surprised me as well. So did the Meat Puppets (though they were on my list).

I just never cared for Pavement all that much. They're the Tom Waits of indie bands; you can tell that most of the songs are good, but the shambling performances are a deal-breaker for me. I much prefer their songs when others cover them.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• My remainders:

Smashing Pumpkins -- Gish. Great album, IMO their best after Siamese, but not picked because of Corgan Douchebag Factor.

Teenage Fanclub -- Songs from Northern Britain. AMAZING melodies and harmonies on this record; the peak of their Big Star obsession -- yes, even better than Bandwagonesque.

Meat Puppets -- Up on the Sun. Shocked they weren't picked. This record is incredibly fun and totally undescribable. It's not really punk or psychedelia but has elements of both.

Phish -- Rift or Billy Breathes. I couldn't decide, and I didn't want the ridicule. These are their two records that hold up as consistent, thematic works from start to finish.

Midnight Oil -- Blue Sky Mine or 10, 9, 8... Just as good as Diesel and Dust if less popular.

Uncle Tupelo -- Anodyne. Fantastic update of what Gram Parsons was doing in the early '70s.

The Judybats -- Pain Makes You Beautiful. Folky at times, dancy at others, with brilliant lyrics.

Ned's Atomic Dustbin -- Brainbloodvolume. Their last and least popular album, it's their most swinging and most consistent. They finally put the second bass to proper use.

The Grays -- Ro Sham Bo
      Jason Falkner -- Author Unknown. Falkner was in the last incarnation of Jellyfish. After they imploded, he and Jon Brion formed The Grays, an anti-band band, which had no pretenses to longevity. Falkner and Brion's songs on their lone album, Ro Sham Bo, are richly textured power pop that is incredible ear candy. I didn't pick it because of the contributions of third singer/songwriter Buddy Judge, which are pleasant but derivative. Falkner's first solo album, Author Unknown, in which he sings, plays and produces everything, is a masterpiece that recalls early '70s Todd Rundgren in sound an approach. "I Live" was one of the best singles of the '90s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
        Phish -- Rift or Billy Breathes. I couldn't decide, and I didn't want the ridicule. These are their two records that hold up as consistent, thematic works from start to finish.
        Wuss. That's no reason to not pick and album! Just ask Mith.
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Face Dances came out in 1979. It's Hard, aside from the incredible "Eminence Front," is not very good; easily the worst Who album.
          Face Dances was released on March 16, 1981.

It's Hard, in addition to the title track (which is a classic rock staple), also includes one of my favorite songs by them, Athena.

Comment

• Bad Religion-Recipe for Hate
            Basement Jaxx- Remedy
            Bloodhound Gang-One Fierce Beer Coaster
            Butthole Surfers-Independent Worm Saloon
            Cake-Fashion Nugget (I think this was taken...I probably didn't mark it off)
            Cranberries-Everybody Else Is Doing It…
            Daft Punk-Homework
            Frankie Goes to Hollywood-Welcome to the Pleasuredome (Oh, it gets better...worse...)
            Lightning Seeds-Cloudcuckooland
            Low & Sweet Orchestra-Goodbye to All That (A spinoff from The Pogues...great stuff here for traditional Irish music lovers)
            Mighty Mighty Bosstones-Don't Know How to Party, Let's Face It (I couldn't decide which I like more...but I never got that low on the list to take either)
            Mojo Nixon-Whereabouts Unknown
            Mojo Nixon & The Toadliquors-Sock Ray Blue
            Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper-Bo-Day-Shus, Root Hog or Die (Love Mojo, but always 2 or 3 meh songs on each album)
            My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult-A Crime for All Seasons, Confessions of a Knife, 13 Above the Night (Any of these 3 would be drafted in a 25 round draft of albums you love listening to at an ear piercing/head splitting level)
            Nerf Herder-Nerf Herder (I took Weezer, why not a Weezer copycat?)
            New Order-Technique
            Offspring-Smash, Ixnay of the Hombre, Americana (See Mojo Nixon comment)
            Rick Astley-Whever You Need Somebody (Told you it would get bettter/worse...imagine my surprise when that was a "joke" first pick)
            Save Ferris -It Means Everything
            Sugarcubes-Stick Around for Joy
            Toadies-Rubberneck
            Transvision Vamp-Velveteen (probably my 26th round pick)

I had 30 albums taken off my list, other than the 25 I took.
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
              No 'Combat Rock'?

'Candy-O' was totally 1979, not eligible.
              Combat Rock was on my list.

Also forgot two Yacht Rock specials: Sports by Huey Lewis & the News (just to rattle Swampdragon), and Private Eyes by Hall & Oates.

And yeah, I meant Shake It Up by The Cars, not Candy-O.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                I love that song.
                Me too...
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Face Dances was released on March 16, 1981.
                  Maybe I was confusing it with the date of Keith Moon's death or something. Anyway, it's pretty good, but it's not in the same class as Empty Glass or even Townshend's follow-up to EG, All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes. That's the album I was talking about earlier that really hits you when you're at a crossroads in your mid 30s.

Comment

• My remainders:

Heart - HEART My number 26 I still love this album from start to finish
                    Led Zep - CODA - Zep's out takes are still awesome.
                    Cranberries - EVERYBODY ELSE IS DOING IT...
                    Sarah McLachlan - SOLACE
                    The Cowboy Junkies - TRINITY SESSIONS
                    Guns and Roses - USE YOUR ILLUSION I I always loved this one especially "Coma" and "Don't Damn Me"
                    LA Guns - COCKED AND LOADED - great 80' hair metal
                    Genesis - ABACAB
                    Kix - HOTWIRE Underrated.... very underrated pop metal
                    Queensryche - EMPIRE
                    Charlatans UK - SOME FRIENDLY
                    Tip Splinter - A LIVING TRADITION Here is the info on them : http://www.northernjourney.com/cdnfo....splinter.html
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Wuss. That's no reason to not pick and album! Just ask Mith.
                      It was the third reason, at most, the main two being that I had other stuff I wanted to pick and I wouldn't have been able to decide which of those two.

So someone confessed to liking The Offspring? They're fucking worse than the Gin Blossoms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        My remainders:

Heart - HEART My number 26 I still love this album from start to finish
                        Led Zep - CODA - Zep's out takes are still awesome.
                        Cranberries - EVERYBODY ELSE IS DOING IT...
                        Sarah McLachlan - SOLACE
                        Guns and Roses - USE YOUR ILLUSION I I always loved this one especially "Coma" and "Don't Damn Me"
                        LA Guns - COCKED AND LOADED - great 80' hair metal
                        Genesis - ABACAB
                        Kix - HOTWIRE Underrated.... very underrated pop metal
                        Queensryche - EMPIRE
                        Charlatans UK - SOME FRIENDLY
                        I might have taken UYI I if I hadn't already taken Appetite. Similarly, I love Vs. but couldn't take it because I picked Ten.

Solace is a very good record. In 1993 she had 2 1/2 good albums under her belt. Today she has 2 3/4 good albums under her belt.

Comment

Bad Religion-Recipe for Hate
                          Basement Jaxx- Remedy
                          Bloodhound Gang-One Fierce Beer Coaster
                          Butthole Surfers-Independent Worm Saloon
                          Cake-Fashion Nugget (I think this was taken...I probably didn't mark it off)
                          Cranberries-Everybody Else Is Doing It…
                          Daft Punk-Homework
                          Frankie Goes to Hollywood-Welcome to the Pleasuredome (Oh, it gets better...worse...)
                          Lightning Seeds-Cloudcuckooland
                          Low & Sweet Orchestra-Goodbye to All That (A spinoff from The Pogues...great stuff here for traditional Irish music lovers)
                          Mighty Mighty Bosstones-Don't Know How to Party, Let's Face It (I couldn't decide which I like more...but I never got that low on the list to take either)
                          Mojo Nixon-Whereabouts Unknown
                          Mojo Nixon & The Toadliquors-Sock Ray Blue
                          Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper-Bo-Day-Shus, Root Hog or Die (Love Mojo, but always 2 or 3 meh songs on each album)
                          My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult-A Crime for All Seasons, Confessions of a Knife, 13 Above the Night (Any of these 3 would be drafted in a 25 round draft of albums you love listening to at an ear piercing/head splitting level)
                          Nerf Herder-Nerf Herder (I took Weezer, why not a Weezer copycat?)
                          New Order-Technique
                          Offspring-Smash, Ixnay of the Hombre, Americana (See Mojo Nixon comment)
                          Rick Astley-Whever You Need Somebody (Told you it would get bettter/worse...imagine my surprise when that was a "joke" first pick)
                          Save Ferris -It Means Everything
                          Sugarcubes-Stick Around for Joy
                          Toadies-Rubberneck
                          Transvision Vamp-Velveteen (probably my 26th round pick)

I had 30 albums taken off my list, other than the 25 I took.
                          I really like the Offspring. I have seen them a few times in concert. My favorite albums are Smash and then Americana.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                            Ah yes, the go-to album for everyone who wanted to bang a college chick in the early '90s.

Comment

It was the third reason, at most, the main two being that I had other stuff I wanted to pick and I wouldn't have been able to decide which of those two.

So someone confessed to liking The Offspring? They're fucking worse than the Gin Blossoms.
                              No way! The Offspring rock....great hooks and catchy tunes...

Comment

• Recipe for Hate probably should have been on my list but I forgot about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X