No announcement yet.

*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Little T&A"..all the way..great song.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
      Tattoo You was my "Waaaaaaah, my first girlfriend broke up with me" album. Lotta teen angst tied up in that one.

It would have made the jump from "good album" to "great album" if they could have come up with two better songs than Black Limousine and Neighbors. Or just left them off the record.

Slave would have been better as an instrumental.

I really like Side 2; Worried About You is my favorite song:

Don't know if we will ever agree on music Sheep. "Worried about You" is just blah to me. "Neighbors" is a cool little ditty. "Black Limousine" has some nifty guitar work, i dig it.
      Last edited by Mithrandir; 12-18-2013, 03:03 PM.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Radiohead = my pick for the most overrated band in the history of music.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          Radiohead = my pick for the most overrated band in the history of music.
          I was about to rip into Foot and then I saw this, smh.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            I was about to rip into Foot and then I saw this, smh.
            Lol, I was just going to post something similar... I was bracing for the "WHAT!!?" responses, and Mith jumped in front of the bullets for me!

BTW, Mith: WHAT!!?
            One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Now I am not saying that Radiohead suck or anything like that. I just feel that the adulation heaped upon them isn't justified. They might be a good band, hell even a very good band to many of you, but one of the greatest bands ever? No way.

I find very little to enjoy from them. Their music is too...sterile.........not enough emotion....very little to zero "catchiness" at all in most of the songs i have heard from them..his voice seems to lack feeling...

Now i am basing this on the dozen or so songs i have listened to from them.. and if i don't like any of them i don't really feel the need to listen to any more...

Comment

• "Better than OK Computer"... yeah, them's fightin' words in Radiohead fan circles. I actually like Pablo Honey more than the typical Radiohead fan, and am less awed by OK Computer than I apparently should be.
                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• One measure of how great a band is IMO, is how difficult it is to rank their best albums. Here's how I'd rank Radiohead's today:

OK Computer
                  Kid A
                  The Bends
                  In Rainbows
                  Hail to the Thief
                  Amnesiac
                  Pablo Honey
                  The King of Limbs
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Two Billy Squier albums drafted? Did not see that coming.
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      One measure of how great a band is IMO, is how difficult it is to rank their best albums. Here's how I'd rank Radiohead's today:

OK Computer
                      Kid A
                      The Bends
                      In Rainbows
                      Hail to the Thief
                      Amnesiac
                      Pablo Honey
                      The King of Limbs
                      That's about right for me as well - just can't get into King of Limbs but I really enjoy In Rainbows.

Mith, here are some you might like - "Fake Plastic Trees", "Street Spirit (Fade Out)", "Subterranean Homesick Alien", "No Surprises", "National Anthem", "Arpeggiator (Weird Fishes)", "Knives Out"

Comment

• a) I think a Radiohead song draft is in order at some point, given the diversity of opinion about their material here.

b) I really don't know Pablo Honey other than Creep. Creep was so overplayed and so not-that-different-from-pseudo-grunge-one-hit-wonders that I didn't have any desire to check out the album it came from. I didn't get The Bends when it came out because I wasn't overwhelmed by the singles, "Fake Plastic Trees" and "High and Dry" (I still think they're the weakest songs on the album. I finally made a purchase with OK Computer because everyone went nuts when it came out. Later I went back and got The Bends because of recommendations by friends, but no one ever said anything about Pablo Honey. Heck, the band didn't even play anything from it when I saw them in 2003.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                          a) I think a Radiohead song draft is in order at some point, given the diversity of opinion about their material here.

b) I really don't know Pablo Honey other than Creep. Creep was so overplayed and so not-that-different-from-pseudo-grunge-one-hit-wonders that I didn't have any desire to check out the album it came from. I didn't get The Bends when it came out because I wasn't overwhelmed by the singles, "Fake Plastic Trees" and "High and Dry" (I still think they're the weakest songs on the album. I finally made a purchase with OK Computer because everyone went nuts when it came out. Later I went back and got The Bends because of recommendations by friends, but no one ever said anything about Pablo Honey. Heck, the band didn't even play anything from it when I saw them in 2003.
                          GwynnInTheHall absolutely crushes "Creep" when he does karaoke....
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• I just feel that Radiohead became art-victims and kinda tossed out their superior skills as crafters of concise, hook-laden rock music. I LOVED those first two LPs (The Bends was a Top 5 for me in this draft). You guys know I will lap up anything from the UK and they were my heroes carrying the Union Jack during the grunge era.

When I heard the buzz for the Paranoid Android single -- 'prog-rock for the 90s' according the British rock press -- I was all excited, but I wasn't that thrilled when I actually heard it. It was just OK, my brother and I both thought. We agreed that the LP just wasn't as good The Bends (my brother actually thought it sucked, and I sort of argued in its defense for a while). Looking back, the only song I truly love was the last one 'The Tourist', and that's probably the least-mentioned song of them all.

Then there's the whole Thom Yorke thing. The whininess and unrelenting despair started turning me off, too. Hard dude to warm up to. And then the artsy noodling of Kid A and Amnesiac pretty much lost me, and I'm not all that familiar with whatever else they did after that. I respect them and give them props for bravery and fearlessness in the face of the corporate monolith blah blah blah, but I didn't love 'em anymore and I used to love them.

Plus I always abandon groups after their first 2 LPs anyway, lol.
                            Last edited by ManCalledFoot; 12-18-2013, 04:57 PM.
                            One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                              And then the artsy noodling of Kid A and Amnesiac pretty much lost me, and I'm not all that familiar with whatever else they did after that.
                              You might like, or at least not hate, Hail to the Thief, which came out after Amnesiac. It's their most song-oriented album since The Bends and has a bunch of memorable tunes on it. I have it in the same tier as The Bends, OK Computer and Kid A.

I don't care as much for In Rainbows and King of Limbs, which are long on atmosphere and short on hooks. Most people I know that are really into them are stoners.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                                Two Billy Squier albums drafted? Did not see that coming.
                                yeah, I didn't either... I probably could come up with at least 10 albums I should have drafted instead but just wanted to get some picks posted. They are both more nostalgia picks than things I want to listen to now.

I know I'm supposed to like Radiohead, but I just don't. every time a song pops up on pandora I just end up skipping it before it puts me to sleep.
                                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                                X