*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
    Votes are 2 to 1 in favor of Jill so far. You're losing.
    Mith losing a vote on RJ.....who'da thunk it
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
      Forgetting 16-year-old kids for a minute, I'm always amazed at how critical response to bands and albums changes over time. Live was a huge band in the 90's alt-rock explosion, now they're sneered at like an embarrassing joke. If you had told me in 1994 that Throwing Copper would be dismissed as an unworthy sh!t record in 20 years, I never would have believed it. Stone Temple Pilots is another one. They were monsters in the early 90's - critics praised their albums, and rock fans bought their records in droves. Now they get lumped in with talentless post-grunge copycats like Bush and Creed. You never know.
      I always thought Live was a terrible band. I assume that means I'm better than you. j/k STP is an interesting one, I was never a big fan, though I think Interstate Love Song is a great song (even if the guitar riff is a total ripoff of I Got a Name by Jim Croce; YouTube it if you don't believe me). But they really did just disappear and have been forgotten about.

I like the Hoodoo Gurus pick, btw. Did not expect them to be picked in this draft.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Glad to see Hoodoo Gurus and Matthew Sweet both go. They were in my next 25.
        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
          I can't stand STP...but I always thought they and Pearl Jam were the better bands from that category.

Maybe it's what bands continue to do (or not do) that make critics and fans alike look back and say..."God, that was crap too!"
          If Scott Weiland had sucked on a shotgun after Purple, rather than devolve into an embarrassing heroin junkie cliche, STP's legacy might have been very different. Who knows?
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
            I always thought Live was a terrible band. I assume that means I'm better than you. j/k
            I confess to liking them back in the days of Mental Jewelry and Throwing Copper. :bag: Yes, the songwriting made you cringe - a case of ambition outstripping talent - but I did like their sound on those records, and they were a good live band. I turned on them fiercely when they released Secret Samadhi - utterly horrible, pretentious sh!te. I don't know why I saw it so clearly on that album and not before, but I hated it so much, I never listened to anything new from them afterwards.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

Forgetting 16-year-old kids for a minute, I'm always amazed at how critical response to bands and albums changes over time. Live was a huge band in the 90's alt-rock explosion, now they're sneered at like an embarrassing joke. If you had told me in 1994 that Throwing Copper would be dismissed as an unworthy sh!t record in 20 years, I never would have believed it. Stone Temple Pilots is another one. They were monsters in the early 90's - critics praised their albums, and rock fans bought their records in droves. Now they get lumped in with talentless post-grunge copycats like Bush and Creed. You never know.
              I hated Live from the moment I heard them, and, other than 'Dead and Bloated' and 'Sex Type Thing' (the first two songs on their first album), STP did nothing for me. So ha!
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Stoneage Romeos and Mars Needs Guitars are must-owns; Blow Your Cool! and Magnum Cum Louder are good, too. I think the Hoodoos would appeal to a pretty wide cross-section of tastes here, and Bob Mould fans would be right at the top of that list.
                I have Mars Needs Guitars on vinyl, been meaning to check out their other records.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

• I was gonna wait to address STP, but I was definitely wondering why no one picked them. Of all those big first-wave grunge LPs I thought 'Core' was pretty good, and I liked their other stuff like 'Sour Girl'. Not that I ever owned anything of theirs or would pick them, but I thought one of you would certainly go there.
                  One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    I hated Live from the moment I heard them, and, other than 'Dead and Bloated' and 'Sex Type Thing' (the first two songs on their first album), STP did nothing for me. So ha!
                    Yeah, but I didn't pick a Live or STP record in this draft, Mr. 311. Ha HA!

Comment

Yeah, but I didn't pick a Live or STP record in this draft, Mr. 311. Ha HA!
                      Left that one over the plate!
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                        I was gonna wait to address STP, but I was definitely wondering why no one picked them. Of all those big first-wave grunge LPs I thought 'Core' was pretty good, and I liked their other stuff like 'Sour Girl'. Not that I ever owned anything of theirs or would pick them, but I thought one of you would certainly go there.
                        I have Core, Purple and Tiny Music, and still like them all. I wouldn't try to convince anybody that STP were brilliant or revolutionary, but they made some good rock records. I'd rather listen to Purple than a lot of other albums picked in this draft. :shrug:

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          Bob Marley was far and away the most universally loved artist in my world travels. I'm not sure who #2 is but they're an extremely distant 2nd. People love the shit out of ol' Bob pretty much everywhere you go. I smoked weed with an Indian dude in Goa with Bob Marley tattooed on his arm.
                          There doesn't seem to be any reason to dislike Marley. As a musician or person.
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            I have Mars Needs Guitars on vinyl, been meaning to check out their other records.
                            I have Blow Your Cool!, Mars Needs Guitars and Stoneage Romeos on vinyl.
                            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• STP is just blah to me. They are much better than the Creed/Nickelback bottom-feeders, but they fall short of their early '90s peers (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, even AIC) in both songwriting and musicianship. Core has some decent songs but also some embarrassing filler (e.g. Wet My Bed). Purple and Tiny Music showed some artistic growth, but not enough to make me care, given all the other exciting new developments that were happening at the time. After that they became a parody.

Though the songs were nowhere near of the same quality, Live had an almost U2-ish vibe about them at their peak. There was a sense of spirituality and connectivity there that really turned some folks on. But that kind of sincerity fell out of favor by the '00s, and they are considered a joke now. Throwing Copper is a decent record, but the overexposure of about half its songs (including the worst one, "Lightning Crashes") did it no favors. Mental Jewelry is three strong singles ("Pain Lies on the Riverside" is arguably their best song) and some very weak filler. Secret Samadhi did nothing for me, and then I stopped paying attention.

Basically, divorced from their "moment," most of Live's songs just don't hold up.
                              Last edited by Erik; 12-19-2013, 02:22 PM.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                                Bob Marley was far and away the most universally loved artist in my world travels. I'm not sure who #2 is but they're an extremely distant 2nd. People love the shit out of ol' Bob pretty much everywhere you go. I smoked weed with an Indian dude in Goa with Bob Marley tattooed on his arm.
                                I was going to post the same in response to Mith, but then I realized we were exposed to a very specific subset of those populations (people who serve Western travelers). I'd guess MJ would still win a global popularity contest, but hopefully I'm wrong.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X