Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
    Good stuff!
    Reckon Cobain was listening to this when making In Utero?

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
      That's great, perfect, thanks!

(Like I need to add songs to a 95-song playlist!)
      In case anyone is interesting in 2013 ... here's the aggregated end of year listings:

Aggregated Top 10

138 Kanye West - Yeezus
      124 Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
      086 Arcade Fire - Reflektor
      080 Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
      075 HAIM - Days Are Gone
      071 Arctic Monkeys - AM
      069 The National - Trouble Will Find Me
      067 My Bloody Valentine - MBV
      059 David Bowie - The Next Day
      058 Chance The Rapper - Acid Rap

Much better year than 2012 and 2011!
      Last edited by johnnya24; 12-15-2013, 12:14 AM.

Comment

• I just really haven't kept up with anything since about 2006. I own none of those albums, though I have Reflektor on my Christmas list.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Last night I saw Shut Up and Play the Hits, a rockumentary about LCS Soundsystem's final show at MSG in 2011. Definite must-see for fans, and the interview of James Murphy by Chuck Klosterman is excellent and elevates the movie to a universal reflection on self-consciousness and aging.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            Reckon Cobain was listening to this when making In Utero?
            I worry more that this is what he was listening to before he grabbed the shotgun
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Leonard Cohen - I’m Your Man ...

That was near the top of my lists the whole way. I listened to it several times during the draft. Nice to see it picked.

CJ is filling out my list nicely ... first Throwing Muses, now Leonard Cohen (not to mention FB's New York pick)

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                Well I had my selection all picked out but they don't have really any of their vids on YouTube that I can inflict you folks. Gah, it's no fun without the songs to add to one's pick....
                I had a couple potential albums where most songs were missing, but the really amazing one is Prince albums. There's nothing. He must have people working around the clock, which would actually fit his profile.
                people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• I put the odds at 35% that one of the two albums El Diablo was thinking about taking but has no you tube I own at last one song. Just a feeling.
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Okay...I was typing that BEFORE I knew El Diablo made his pick.

I own a few Rocket from the Crypt songs, and i was just starting to realize how much I like those songs. This draft interrupted a push I was going to make to learn more about their music. And I missed having a song off that album by one album. Damn!!

Another Devil pick I like.
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                      Technically, maybe, All Systems Go can be called a compilation album, for the record. About half the songs on the album are from their 7" releases and the other are "new". It's easily my favorite RFTC album, though, and some of the compiled stuff is legitimately impossible to find on the original 7" releases.

I'd put the odds of me changing my pick at about 35%.

I did find a song from the album though!!!!

I can be called a compilation because it is one. As you say the songs are from 7"s and compilation appearances. I have no dog in this fight but this is pretty much the definition of a compilation. If you are unsure, just check allmusic.com. They list releases by Albums, Compilations, Singles and EPs. You'll find All Systems Go in the compilations section; http://www.allmusic.com/artist/rocke...y/compilations. Here's a quote from the site.

Indeed, the band was productive enough on that front to be able to release a fantastic compilation of its various 7" and comp appearances after only two studio albums.
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Here is a live version of Boychucker at Denver's Riot Fest. I was at this show. The show was out in a farm in Byers, CO and Speedo kept making jokes about how excited he was to play in Byers, which should help explain what he's talking about before the song.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                          If anybody had Suddenly, Tammy! on their radar...then I got nothing that will surprise all of you at this point.
                          I used to own that CD! I think I ditched it in one of my "I have a bunch of CD's that sound the same" purges, probably right alongside Mary's Danish and Moonpools & Caterpillars. I must have deemed Eve's Plum the winner of the Second Tier Alternative Chick Rock Battle Royale, because I know I still have a couple of their discs hanging around.
                          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Another great song from All Systems Go. From a split 7" with Bloodthirsty Butchers. I have this 7".

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              Sheep: The Violet Burning is the shit. Thanks for alerting me to it.
                              Yes! Finally! THANK YOU!

My work here is done. I can die happy now.
                              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                                I just don't get any joy out of Sonic Youth. They are to music what broccoli is to food. They have obvious merits but don't go down easily.
                                Sonic Youth would headline my Emporer's New Clothes music festival.

Comment

Working...
                                X