*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
    My music store kids scooped up all the De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, and Digable Planets promos. All that was left for me was an Us3 CD...

Funky, Funky!

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Sitting here rocking out to Powerslave as I type this. Man, I just might have picked the wrong Maiden album. Powerslave is unbelievable.
      I was pretty happy when you took NotB because I knew you were my only competition...it's another one of those albums that I frequently listen to because I can't turn it off. My 2-year-old daughter is also a fan

There is at least one if not two more I would have been happy taking.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
        24.11 Signify - Porcupine Tree (1996)

The epic closer to Signify, complete with soaring guitar solo at the end:

I like it - this is actually kind of similar to the stuff I try to make on my computer workstation, although I'm discovering that digital guitar plug-ins can't hold a candle to the real thing. The vocal style was very similar to early Peter Gabriel. Added to the "Will Explore" list.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Porcupine Tree is a big favorite in the Rush community. I never really gave them much of a listen though.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            I was pretty happy when you took NotB because I knew you were my only competition...it's another one of those albums that I frequently listen to because I can't turn it off. My 2-year-old daughter is also a fan

There is at least one if not two more I would have been happy taking.
            Neither of you guys took the best Maiden album.
            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
              Will it be on your post-draft roster? If not, which one? S/T? SSofSS? I would be shocked if anyone else had even heard it.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

"Killers"!!!
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  "Killers"!!!
                  Or PoM....incredibly deep.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

"Killers"!!!
                    Bingo!!!

It will be on my list.

After that s/t, Powerslave, Beast, Piece of Mind are all amazing. Hard to rank.

I prefer Paul Di'Anno's vocals over Bruce Dickenson.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Bingo!!!

It will be on my list.

After that s/t, Powerslave, Beast, Piece of Mind are all amazing. Hard to rank.

I prefer Paul Di'Anno's vocals over Bruce Dickenson.
                      Me too.

"Murders in the Rue Morgue" is far and away my favorite Maiden song.

I haven't listened to that album (yes i have it on vinyl) in a long long time...

Comment

Porcupine Tree is a big favorite in the Rush community.
                        Also in the portion of the Phish community that's really into prog.

A guy I know from that scene once gave me a recording of a Porcupine Tree live set. It was OK but not the kind of thing I'd felt I'd revisit, so it was a "get rid of clutter" casualty of my last move.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Me too.

"Murders in the Rue Morgue" is far and away my favorite Maiden song.

I haven't listened to that album (yes i have it on vinyl) in a long long time...
                          I have Killers, PoM and Beast on vinyl. I need to get the others as well.

The first two Maiden albums are a little more punk than the others, and that's what I like about them. One thing remains the same throughout all their albums; Steve Harris is one of the best bass players ever.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

NotB, PowerSlave, PoM are all pretty much tied for first for me. Killers is a notch behind those three, mainly because I don't really like DiAno's voice that much and the real Maiden style wasn't quite refined yet. There are some stellar tracks on that record, though, including Wrathchild which is probably top 5 of all Maiden songs for me.
                            Wrathchild is amazing. It's worthy of being posted here.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• That band Skunk (with Claude Coleman) I mentioned a while back do a cover of Wrathchild.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

It has plenty of newly released music as well. Plus, I'm not fucking repicking any more.
                                Looking on Wikipedia, the American and Japanese releases seem to be quite different. But I counted on BOTH versions a total of one song that appeared on either of their first two albums. It's much like the They Might be Giants compilation Miscellaneous T, B-sides, alternate versions, etc...and I wouldn't argue someone taking Miscellaneous T. All Systems Go pulls much less off of their previous albums than Miscellaneous T.
                                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X