*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    "Foot" from Love Battery is really cool..excellent tune.
    They wrote a "sequel" for their next album called "Feet." Not on Youtube, unfortunately.

Apparently they still exist -- there's a live clip of "Out of Focus" from 2012.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• I haven't been able to listen to everything picked (duh), but those that i have listened to and have really enjoyed and warrant further listening are:

AIR
      TEENAGE FANCLUB
      WEEN
      LOS LOBOS
      MORPHINE
      LOVE BATTERY

i would bet i will find others when i have the time to listen.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
        I guess I'm a Throwing Muses poseur: I think their best song is "Bright Yellow Gun," which is by far their most "accessible" song.
        I like their 90's stuff as well. But it'll be one of their first 3 releases if I pick a Throwing Muses record.

It's weird that I feel slightly less inclined to pick a lesser known band as long as they are represented. TM are one of the bands I put on my "must-have" list pre-draft.

Problem is I have a massive list and only 4 more picks, and 1 of them has been reserved since round 1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          I haven't been able to listen to everything picked (duh), but those that i have listened to and have really enjoyed and warrant further listening are:

AIR
          TEENAGE FANCLUB
          WEEN
          LOS LOBOS
          MORPHINE
          LOVE BATTERY

i would bet i will find others when i have the time to listen.
          I'll have to think about that as well. Off the top of my head, Screaming Trees, Ween, Morphine. The list of stuff I have to check out is a lot lot longer.

Comment

• Rent is one of my favorite musicals.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
              That's a good sell.
              I'm hoping you, Erik, or DMT will give The Violet Burning a dedicated listen and validate my love of this record. If I can't get one of you guys to recognize its greatness, I may just have to give up all hope of ever convincing anyone.
              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                It's Hersh, not Hersch. I don't know why it bothers me.
                Typos and spelling currections are a great coversation stopper

Comment

Typos and spelling currections are a great coversation stopper
                  In my defense I only said something after you misspelled her name twice.
                  I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                    In my defense I only said something after you misspelled her name twice.
                    We know one of your weaknesses now

Comment

We know one of your weaknesses now
                      Yeah, Kristin Hersh. I always had a crush on her. She's aged really well.

I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Rock Chick draft

1.01 Debbie Harry

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          Rent is one of my favorite musicals.
                          I like Into the Woods better but I did see Rent in a very early incarnation and it did capture the energy/feel of the East Village (albeit sanitized)

Comment

• 1.02 Susanna Hoffs

Still smokin'

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                              I'm hoping you, Erik, or DMT will give The Violet Burning a dedicated listen and validate my love of this record. If I can't get one of you guys to recognize its greatness, I may just have to give up all hope of ever convincing anyone.
                              With a job where I can't listen to stuff and a two-year-old who wants my attention when I get home, I haven't had time to listen to much from this draft, but I will make a point to check that out; it sounds right up my alley.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                                Well, there's the crux of it. We all go to music for different reasons, and we all interpret and evaluate it through our own unique personal filters. Some people want art. Some want intellectual stimulation. Some want emotional connection. Some want technical performance. Some just want enjoyable mood-enhancing sound. Some just want a beat. For some, it's background noise. For others, it's life. There's something out there for everybody - in that respect, it's all good.
                                I've been trying to figure out what it is that I desire in music, exactly. I have completely given up, deciding that i simply like whatever sounds good to me. There is no particular beat, no technical mumbo-jumbo,...I do connect with some songs emotionally, but I like way too many songs to say it is simply that.
                                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X