No announcement yet.

*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I seriously wince as the page loads when DMT picks ...

Frank Black's solo stuff is shockingly under-appreciated. So many great unknown songs. Two of my favourites from Dog In The Sand (2001)

Comment

• I've always been partial to "Hang Onto Your Ego" off his first album.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• This is the exact moment I got switched on to The Pixies and Frank Black. Channel 4 showed this gig back in '94 (they used to do a lot of that late at night) ... just Frank, his shades, and his telecaster blasting out Pixies and solo tracks. Blew me away. I taped most of it and wore it out. Apparently the full gig is floating out there somewhere.

Comment

• That one album was the best thing Courtney love will ever do in her lifetime
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            Never heard of Air or "Moon Safari".

Just listened to "Sexy Boy" and "Ce Matin La". Enjoyed them both.
            Listen to 'Remember' by them. They take the beat from The Beach Boys "Do It Again", the organ from '96 Tears' and throw some ELO strings on it. You'll love it:

One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
              That one album was the best thing Courtney love will ever do in her lifetime
              Wasn't it a fact that Kurt had more than a little to do with it? I don't remember...
              One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Not a big fan of the Pixies, but listened to the first 8 songs of the Frank Black album and must say i liked them. I like him much better when he's not screaming
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                  Wasn't it a fact that Kurt had more than a little to do with it? I don't remember...
                  Pretty sure that was just a malicious rumour. I think he may have been an influence because they were together at the time, but by the same token you could also say Love was an influence on In Utero. The same people wouldn't do that I'll bet
                  Last edited by johnnya24; 11-12-2013, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                    Listen to 'Remember' by them. They take the beat from The Beach Boys "Do It Again", the organ from '96 Tears' and throw some ELO strings on it. You'll love it:

http://youtu.be/G1BKeuYmGg8
                    Very cool. I like the vocoder (sp?) usage. I like "Kelly Watch the Stars" more though.
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• TMBG -- Never got into them.

The Cult -- Never got into them.

Rattle and Hum -- A glorious, sprawling mess, which isn't a bad thing. "Heartland" and "All I Want Is You" are among their best songs and the live versions of "Silver and Gold" and "Bullet the Blue Sky" are badass.

Out of Time -- As picks were being rattled off in the REM draft, I came to the conclusion that Out of Time is almost schizophrenically diverse and inconsistent. "Country Feedback" and "Texarkana" are among their best songs, "Radio Song" is probably their worst.

Moving Pictures -- One of the first albums listed in my "mid" tier, which we'll be in in another round or two. IMO it's their best overall. Not only does Side 1 rank with any side by anyone from the Classic Rock Era, Side 2 is full of breathtaking experimental pleasures. "Camera Eye" is a personal favorite.

Billy Squier -- "In the Dark" is no joke. The other stuff isn't quite up to that, but he should have had the success that went to Huey Lewis.

Nebraska -- My favorite Springsteen album, probably because it's his least Springsteen-y. No posturing or overemoting, just exceelent songs.

Hole -- Like Siamese Dream, not something I've revisited in recent years because of the assclownery of the frontperson. But it's full of good stuff throughout.

Discipline -- My prog-head friends LOVE this record. I've been meaning to explore this era of KC but I've never found the time. I expected it to be drafted, though maybe a little later.

Air -- The Kraftwerk of our day. I own Moon Safari and Talkie Walkie thanks to friends' recommendations. Mind-expanding and fun at the same time. I disagree that they are France's only good contribution to popular music; Phoenix is damn good as well.

Frank Black -- As I was never interested in the Pixies, I was never interested in other projects by Charles Thompson III either.
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                        I seriously wince as the page loads when DMT picks ...
                        Haha, I know the feeling.

Need to rant a bit. Went to see Of Montreal tonight. They had some opener billed who I'd never heard of. Doors opened at 7 so I showed up at 9:15, expecting to be waiting around for awhile (my general wait time at this venue is about an hour). Nope, they're leaving the stage after 2 songs, wtf??!?! The other band is playing right now, and they're awful. This is the 2nd show in a row that they've been a huge disappointment, and probably the last time I'll pay to see them.

/rant
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• DMT, can you alert Sheep? I'd love to be able to pick before I go to bed.
                          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                            DMT, can you alert Sheep? I'd love to be able to pick before I go to bed.
                            Email sent
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Eclectic Award: mjl

Leftfield Award: Controller J

Not As Advertised Award: Revo (where's the Duran Duran? NKOTB? I Am Disappoint.)

Boring Predictable Award: Everyone else.

Comment

• This is awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X