Explosion at Boston Marathon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Guilty on all 30 charges, including 17 that may carry the death penalty.
    I always find the death penalty an interesting debate for a couple of reasons. First, imagine spending...no, imagine KNOWING you are going to spend the rest of your life in a 6 by 10 jail cell? Second, it is more costly to go through the process (assuming he fights it) of reaching the death penalty 'kill' then it is to be incarcerated for 25 or 30 years (not sure of the exact time frame but I remember reading it is a loooong time).

Anyhow, what he did was certainly at the bottom of human behavior and I am glad he was convicted, I just find the debate interesting...

Comment

• Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
      I always find the death penalty an interesting debate for a couple of reasons. First, imagine spending...no, imagine KNOWING you are going to spend the rest of your life in a 6 by 10 jail cell? Second, it is more costly to go through the process (assuming he fights it) of reaching the death penalty 'kill' then it is to be incarcerated for 25 or 30 years (not sure of the exact time frame but I remember reading it is a loooong time).

Anyhow, what he did was certainly at the bottom of human behavior and I am glad he was convicted, I just find the debate interesting...
      In this case, there should be no appeals IMO.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

What?!?!?! Jesus, that's a horrible idea.
        Yea, so is trying to murder thousands of people.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Comment

So those accused, or convicted, or attempted murder should not have the right of appeal afforded by the law? Fuck that shit.

Edit: Undermining the legal framework to make exceptions out of those that offend our moral sensibilities is not only a dangerous recipe for disaster, it's illogical and unreasonable. Everyone gets the same rights. Everyone.
          He got his right to trial and was found guilty on all 30 counts. What could he possibly be appealing?
          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Uh, his conviction? Appellate procedure isn't just some thing that only certain people get. It's afforded to everyone in this country. It is written into the US code. Everyone gets this right, even those people whose actions or beliefs hurt your feelings.
            Ok, I guess I meant there is no reason his appeals process needs to be dragged out for years and years at the tax payer's expense. He did it, and everyone knows he did it. I'm not suggesting undermining our legal system, but the earth will be better off when he's no longer living on it. I'm sorry if that is offensive to you.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Edit: Undermining the legal framework to make exceptions out of those that offend our moral sensibilities is not only a dangerous recipe for disaster, it's illogical and unreasonable. Everyone gets the same rights. Everyone.
              Dang...we found an area of agreement in the Sports Bar!!
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                Ok, I guess I meant there is no reason his appeals process needs to be dragged out for years and years at the tax payer's expense. He did it, and everyone knows he did it. I'm not suggesting undermining our legal system, but the earth will be better off when he's no longer living on it. I'm sorry if that is offensive to you.
                I understand where you're coming from DMT. And our legal system may well suck when it comes to these types of cases. And I'd happily argue that hanging him is neither cruel nor unusual...once the system has finalized his guilt. But if the system is to work, it must treat all citizens equally.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I don't like the guy, either, and don't think he has a very good chance of successfully appealing but neither one of those things is reason enough to deny him (or anyone) their rights.
                  I agree, and should not have been careless in my initial reply.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

So those accused, or convicted, or attempted murder should not have the right of appeal afforded by the law? Fuck that shit.

Hear. Hear.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      Dang...we found an area of agreement in the Sports Bar!!
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• I understand the process and I understand American rights but it doesn't change the fact that I wish they would just blow him up with his own backpack of pressure cookers. F him.
                        Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Working...
                        X